Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Waiting to go up the Space Needle

I knew the NYWF had a small display in Seattle but to locate an actual sign with the Unisphere logo is remarkable.  Well done, Bill!

• Like 1

Any idea of what that wooden sculpture is at the left edge of the initial picture? (The one with what looks like a gazebo roof at the bottom)

Ok, Bill, if you took all of the times you've come up with an obscure photo this would top them all combined.  I knew this display existed and I've often wondered what it might have been.  I wonder how accurate or complete the map and the display model were in this exhibit.  For example, it appears there is no Federal Building in the circle where it eventually stood  

At first, I thought the woman with her back to the map was an attendant of some sort, but because she is so bundled in a coat, as are the others, I suspect she is a Century 21 visitor.

It appears the people in NY were still working on the logo in 1962.

Thank you very much for this photograph!

4 hours ago, speedwell said:

Any idea of what that wooden sculpture is at the left edge of the initial picture? (The one with what looks like a gazebo roof at the bottom)

From my first book on the Seattle Fair:

The Society of American Foresters also had a small display that focused on the timber industry. Surrounded by a variety of trees native to the region, the exhibit promoted the wise management of forest resources, with an emphasis on replanting and replenishment. A film explored what the forests may look like in the year 2062 if they are properly managed and nurtured.

Glad you like it, Jim. And on the subject of things on the map that never made it to the NY Fair:

seattle-exhibit-1.jpg

seattle-exhibit-2.jpg

seattle-exhibit-3.jpg

seattle-exhibit-4.jpg

seattle-exhibit-5.jpg

seattle-exhibit-6.jpg

seattle-exhibit-7.jpg

seattle-exhibit-8.jpg

• Like 1

Wow!  More good stuff, Bill.  Thank you VERY much.  

If one were to take all of those unbuilt pavilions and exhibits and put them together, they would have comprised a world's fair unto themselves.

The absence, by 1962, of major nations (UK, France, USSR, Canada etc.) is very noteworthy, however.  By then, Mr. Moses had already offended the BIE and reduced international participation to what we saw in 1964 and 1965.

If the adage that the only thing new is the history we do not already know is true, then this site is a perfect example of this concept.  I learn new material from so many people almost every time I log onto this site.  

And I am very grateful.