Bill Cotter

Got your passport handy?

I never got a passport (back then).  I think the only identification I had to bring was my birth certificate.  

I've read that stamped Expo  passports have become very popular collectibles at flea markets and antique shows.

I found all the passports for our whole family in my vault.I was so relentless with getting mine stamped  they had to issue my passport 2 times.... Every page jam packed. The UK stamp was unique on the queen birthday June 10th , 1967. That day only the stamp was issued with real gold . I know as I had it tested and they used gold laden  ink..To this day it still shines bright inside my passport.

• Like 2

Really neat!

I love the passport books. I first learned of them at the 1982 World`s fair held in Knoxville. It was the end of my first day at the fair, when I noticed it being sold at a kiosk near the Sunsphere. The person selling them explained what they were all about, and  knew I had to have one. My second day at the fair consisted of seeing the the few things I had missed, and talking my way passed the guards at the pavilion exits, so I could get my book filled. At Expo 2010 in Shanghai, the Chinese people were obsessed with getting their books stamped leading to a lot of bad behavior. By the time I visited the expo in mid August, some pavilions had stopped stamping the book, including the USA. The amusing aspect of this story came about when I visited the Canadian Pavilion. One of the pavilion hostesses approached my wife, and I to ask where we were from. After an interesting conversation, I asked where the stamping station was, and she told us it was closed. She was telling us how upsetting she found the behavior concerning the stamps, even bad mouthing the idea of the passports. I could not resist, and said, "are you aware it was Canada, that started the whole idea of the passport books, and stamps?" Looking at me right in the eyes, with a sad expression, she replied, "Yes, I know". My wife thought this was a good time to say goodbye, and move on.

14 hours ago, Allan Oakley said:

I found all the passports for our whole family in my vault.I was so relentless with getting mine stamped  they had to issue my passport 2 times.... Every page jam packed. The UK stamp was unique on the queen birthday June 10th , 1967. That day only the stamp was issued with real gold . I know as I had it tested and they used gold laden  ink..To this day it still shines bright inside my passport.

Got any pictures to share?