RalphQuinn

A Glance at Continental Park

597e7656efd03_1.ContinentalPark.thumb.jpg.b0068df5ff622836a829e7e73f2edaa1.jpg

Shades of James Bond! An employee sits at the wheel of the famous Aston-Martin, describing the vehicle to dozens of awed boys (and parents) via the mike cord hanging above its roof. NOTE (10/6/17): I stand corrected! This "Goldfinger Super Car" was displayed in the AMF Monorail station, not Continental Park.

597e76676f4bb_2.ContinentalPark.thumb.jpg.c57bc5857f3edd42d5261c875b612149.jpg

I suspect that's a 50-caliber machine gun port above the rear lights.

597e76776dbe6_3.ContinentalPark.thumb.jpg.43e422136ecee9205cec665006f17ca1.jpg

Sort of sad, in a way. Beneath the framework of the defunct Continental Park pavilion is a pathetic remnant, using a much-weathered gorilla image from happier times. Check out the attached AUDIO file (0:32) to hear what the hapless ticket-taker had to endure all day long.

Mr.&Mrs.Gargantua.mp3

4.Continental Park.jpg

That's the sort of advertising and image that has almost put an end to circuses as we have known them.  

11 hours ago, RalphQuinn said:

Does that strip on the trunk lid look bent up to to anyone?

That was for the pop-up bullet-proof shield.  Notice also the Ben-Hur-style tire destroyer that extended out to one side.

By the way, this '65 exhibit was entirely on AMF property, on a spot where an Arlington Hat booth had sat the previous year.

Concrete slab = AMF

Asphalt = Continental Circus

NYWF_20JB_20car.jpg

Mr. & Mrs. Gargantua were famous attractions in the Ringling circus for many years, credited with saving the circus from bankruptcy during the Great Depression.  They were even used to help sell War Bonds.  Gargantua died in 1949, and the Peabody Museum has his skeleton.

"Mrs. Gargantua" was actually named Toto and outlived Gargantua by several years, and in 1950 Ringling even showed her off in a gorilla "nursery" with a couple of adopted baby gorillas, one of which they immedately dubbed "Gargantua II".  (reminds me of what Borden did with Elsie, Beuregard, and so on).

Billing these two as 'Mr. and Mrs. Gargantua II" in 1965, no doubt had hopes of replicating their namesake's financial success..... but obviously too little, too late.

Thanks, Randy, for the 007 update, plus a great new picture. A careful examination of the raised shield shows the strip displacement I photographed. Looks like somebody used a crowbar to get it open!

37 minutes ago, RalphQuinn said:

Thanks, Randy, for the 007 update, plus a great new picture. A careful examination of the raised shield shows the strip displacement I photographed. Looks like somebody used a crowbar to get it open!

...or successful deflection of bullets fired by Goldfinger's minions.

By the way, the hole in the tail light was to eject an 'oil slick' so that a chasing vehicle would spin out, and could also produce a smoke screen.

Lots of fun: