blueexpo

Lacto-Vegetarian / Pure Vegetarian Options at the Expo

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I would be interested to know what the lacto-vegetarian (terminology used in the Western world) / pure vegetarian (terminology used in the Eastern world) options at the 2017 International Expo are? 

Edited by blueexpo
since this is a global discussion forum, added an alternate word for those who are living in the Eastern world may relate to

Hi blueexpo,

Because of your post I kept an eye out when i was there - and it's slim pickings.

I suspect a vegetarian would always say that meat is pointless, but I'm a meat eater and I'd get a dish that was mainly rice (plov/pilaf) - and it would have been fine like that - but there were dollops of meat on it. Even the meat free section of the German pavilion menu had only one vegetarian dish - the other two had fish in it. (the vegetable pancakes were nice though)

Someone said that the Kazakhstan population were the second biggest meat eaters in the world - so that might be the cause.

One of my travel partners is pescetarian, and she found a handful of options at the food courts and some of the pavilion restaurants (we are at both food courts, plus Malaysia, Vietnam, Czech). Meat is definitely plentiful, but vegetarians will be just fine. 

I appreciate the response wf256. Although, the available options weren't anything to write home about, it wasn't all that bad. They had caprese sandwiches with pesto sauce, cheese mushroom fries, an Afghan restaurant with rice and vegan kabobs. If you include the Mega Silkway mall in front of the Expo as part of the Expo, then you had vegetarian pizza, egg-less noodles, and a Korea House which had a vegetarian set. 

Not at the Expo site, but in the city of Astana, there is a pure vegetarian restaurant called 108m2  .. I tried their Russian borscht and Kazakh manti .. 2 dishes I would not have had a chance to otherwise.