I would like to be able to go back in time and spend a day at the Century of Progress Exposition.  That GM building was massive.

Yes it would be fun.  And also watch for John Dillinger, who was said to have liked strolling around at the Fair to admire the fast cars that Ford and GM exhibited.

Of course, being time travelers, we now know where he was living in Chicago all that time, getting his face change surgeries.

My grand dad came over to see the Fair from Akron, where he was working at the Goodyear factory.  My mom was born there in 1934, and named after Shirley Temple.

• Like 1

Chicago was a crazy place in those years.  Dillinger became a rather popular attraction, himself, in July of 1934 when he was gunned down at the Biograph Theatre.  Thousands were allowed to view his corpse at the Cook County Morgue.  Great information, Randy.  I think it's cool your mother was named for Shirley Temple.  I'll bet she was one of tens of thousands of little girls whose mothers loved America's Dimple Darling.

Those are great photos.  I don't believe I've ever seen interior shots of GM at the Century of Progress.  Thank you and welcome to this site.

Is the GM building from this fair similar to the one in 1939 ?

On 12/6/2017 at 7:23 AM, SonnyTFox said:

Is the GM building from this fair similar to the one in 1939 ?

No, completely different, both in design and the show inside. Here's a shot of the 1939 building.

gm-locomotive.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Bill

On 10/19/2017 at 9:02 AM, Randy Treadway said:

Yes it would be fun.  And also watch for John Dillinger, who was said to have liked strolling around at the Fair to admire the fast cars that Ford and GM exhibited.

Of course, being time travelers, we now know where he was living in Chicago all that time, getting his face change surgeries.

My grand dad came over to see the Fair from Akron, where he was working at the Goodyear factory.  My mom was born there in 1934, and named after Shirley Temple.

Having grown up in the Akron/Canton area and gone to college at Kent, I know the factories from Akron.

Such great histories, companies, and people from there.

I think I can imagine how your grandfather felt when he traveled to the fair to see this exhibit.

He used to tell me about the big German zeppelin coming to Akron to and from the World's Fair.  They stopped in Akron for engine servicing because the Zeppelin Co. had a relationship with Goodyear.