Bill Cotter

Some people just love to wait until the last minute, don't they?

This view of the LIRR & Montana pavilions was taken in early April 1964 - just weeks before opening day!

lirr-montana-apr-64.jpg

It's not like they had years to plan and get ready, right?

Montana had a windmill?  Also, this wasn't exactly an ideal site.  Those power lines, alone, suggest Montana's location was a bit like going to a nice restaurant and then given a table right next to a restroom.

Montana needed to be near the train line to get the rail cars in and out, so they were sort of limited on where they could go. Living in NY I was sort of used to power lines so I never really noticed them. No clue as to how many windmills the state had back then!

The last pavilion my family visited before leaving was Montana.  And it was mostly rail cars.  However, I'll bet their exhibit could have been anywhere.  If an entire fair was being built from scratch, it wouldn't have been difficult to plop rail cars anywhere on the grounds.  I think you were correct in the initial post, Bill.  Montana's exhibit was not that large and was started very late.  As I recall, there wasn't much to it and it was simply packed up and driven back to Montana where it toured the state for a while.

It was supposed to be a replica of Long Island windmill, but I haven't been able to find anythijng beyond that 

Bill, in your Set 50 there is a slide showing the windmill.  Are you able to read the sign in front of it that says something like 'sponsored by Long Island  __________ Association, Inc'?  At first I thought it might be Dairymen's Association, but the longer I looked at it I'm not so sure.

21 minutes ago, Randy Treadway said:

It was supposed to be a replica of Long Island windmill, but I haven't been able to find anythijng beyond that 

Bill, in your Set 50 there is a slide showing the windmill.  Are you able to read the sign in front of it that says something like 'sponsored by Long Island  __________ Association, Inc'?  At first I thought it might be Dairymen's Association, but the longer I looked at it I'm not so sure.

Long Island Horticultural Association, Inc.

From what little I've been able to find out, in the windmill they gave out Long Island information, and sold some souvenirs.

But the only souvenir from there that I've ever found, was this pin cushion in World's Fair colors. 

pin cushion.jpg