Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

The World of Century 21, March 1962

Those cubes were part of the World of Century 21 show inside the Washington Coliseum. You would ride up into them in the Bubbleator elevator and different images of the future were shown on them.

I can actually remember watching the opening day of Century 21 on the Today Show.  I vaguely recall that President Kennedy telephoned a message to the fair directors and I recall people being interviewed as they entered the fairgrounds and being asked what they most wanted to see and do.  Just about everyone said they wanted to go to the top of the Space Needle.  Of course, there were grainy black and white shots of the buildings etc.  I so much wanted to see that fair.  But in 1962, Seattle was a million miles away from New York.

• Like 1

One of our members, Albert Fisher, actually made that phone call to Kennedy and spoke with him before the show, not realizing at first he was enjoying a nice chat with the President!

• Like 1

Amazing.  I did not realize this connection.  I also found, on You Tube, a Seattle television news film made on the opening day that contains the opening ceremonies JFK's telephone call.  I am also thinking this may contain part or all of what I remember. The interviews with the first fair visitors through the gate seems so familiar to me.  Also, Frank Blair is one of the newscasters and he started working for NBC in 1953 and was on the Today Show in 1962.  There is a reference to this fact as the film begins and that the Today Show will continue to broadcast from the Fair during its first full week.  It has to be the same news story I recall from so long ago.  I could learn to really like technology.