gary h

Groundbreaking - Christian Science Pavilion Skylight Redux

The phoenix rises - or at least a few feathers of it!

The resurrection of the skylight from the Christian Science Pavilion/Church in Poway, CA - saved from destruction on the verge of the building being bulldozed -  has begun! And, for fun, here's the "groundbreaking brochure", along with an 'official transcript' of the remarks made at the groundbreaking (with a note by Bill Young). And a picture of the pavilion showing the skylight, which is the seven sided on in the smaller of the two buildings. The skylight will be the center of a new garden in my back yard and will be perched on a stone wall, built by master mason and super nice guy Jilerio (Pictured with me on the 'brochure') and lit from underneath. The whole process make take a  year (at least for the whole garden), but on occasion I will proffer "Progress Reports" a la the ones sent out by the pavilion prior to the WF opening.  Enjoy!

OOCHRISTIANJUNE23.thumb.jpg.bcc658d95638

00trans.thumb.jpg.f958f45928b533eed9ded3

And here's a photo of the pavilion. The skylight is from the back pavilion but is essentially the same dimension and size as the top several feet of the big skylight on the main building. News as it happens!

IMG_0427.jpeg.5e377f7f6976855dddb75d6c46

• Like 2

Thanks - working for me now too.

Hi, It's been months but here it is:

June 2016 - Stone foundation put in.

June 2016 - November 2016 - Project in abeyance. Waiting for one of two master carpenters to cut posts and build special wood base for the skylight to sit on. Both too busy all summer. One showed up a week ago, said, "To heck with it, let's do it in the Spring."

November 2016 - Plans made with glass guy to construct the skylight in my garage during the winter to prep it for the Spring.  Several Panels are missing and need to be cut and refitted.

So, delays by workman availability have made the progress slow. But here's a couple of pictures of the construction progress:

IMG_0418.jpg.4e7b489a01533778703ab8e9b63IMG_0425.jpg.d3af4ae981424b64d64767424eeIMG_0575.jpg.2af3cce0a0fe9ae279d910f8e7dIMG_0580.jpg.ca87a17f2ade8af8b5922e9daf7

• Like 1

Did you hire government workers or something?

Slow project but a great one. I look forward to (someday) seeing you relaxing out there under it!

Hi, Gary! This is Christopher Watson, current Executive Board Chair at First Church, Poway/Rancho Bernardo. As a member of our church at the time of the planning and erecting of the new Sunday School building on our property (along with the demolition of the Pavilion building), I was not aware that someone had whisked away one of the original skylights. It's a very pleasant surprise to have stumbled upon this post of yours, and to discover that you had planned to make the skylight the centerpiece of a garden space on your property in New York state. Your last update on the project was from November of 2016, though. This church's Board would love to know where you stand today on finishing that project, and if you have any new photos of it to share. Thank you in advance for your reply.

A non-progress report!   Yes, it is taking FOREVER, but the skylight is still in the "construction phase" owing to the fact that there are only two local workmen I will have on the project. Both are the best in the area and always way overbooked. One was supposed to come this past fall, but he got too busy (on a project for my brother!!!) and was not available until it was too late in November to work on it. He has promised me the skylight is his first project come spring though, so hopefully (fingers crossed) this incredible delay will be over by Summer! News as it happens. 

Finally! After two years, the guys have shown up to start actually getting the skylight together and putting it up! Not sure if it will be up before the snow flies, due to some supplies that we're not sure how long it will take to get. But the structure itself should be refurbished and ready for complete construction within three weeks. (They found that in the taking apart in San Diego, some pieces were bent and need special care to make it totally O.K.)

Anyway, here's a pic of the first step!

42929909290_abd50a4799_k.jpg

After YEARS of delay, finally construction has started. Still don't know how much will get done and how fast, but the excellent and very much in demand "construction guy", Howie, is hot on it now and has done this much in two days, with the wood base cut and ready, but still not in place. However,  the frame is almost complete.

Most of the glass and plexi have to be replaced, but I am trying to figure out something to do with the original WF pieces of glass (only a few were not damaged in the taking down of the church/pavilion in Poway).  We're waiting on the new glass and plexi, so that might be a short delay, as they are all custom pieces. 

Enjoy, news as it happens.

44509315234_ec9ac62d5d_k.jpg

30292435407_4f9cffdb50_k.jpg

• Like 3