Randy Treadway

Humor Photos of the Day

It was a scary day in Iowa when two post-Fair tours ran head-on into each other.

clair48.jpg

sincla52.jpg

What other post-Fair World's Fair tours might have run into each other? There could have been a real pile-up with those Disney trucks racing back to California. Abe Lincoln probably failed to signal for a lane change in the big rig he was driving. He says he was distracted by the G.E. Carousel dog wagging his tail in the front seat next to him. :D Ford's neanderthals were no help- they had proven they couldn't even change a tire.

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing. Love to see those Clairol trucks in color. They're pretty groovy.

This ad copy gives a rough idea of what the 'traveling version' of the carousel looked like. One newspaper account said the two trucks pulled up next to each other and opened up in some kind of ingenous way to provide a platform for the carousel.

clair57.jpg

Okay here are the Clairol tour stops:

New York City

Miami

Washington

Baltimore

Philadelphia

Paramus, NJ

Boston

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Detroit

Milwaukee

Chicago

St. Louis

Kansas City

Denver

Seattle

San Francisco

Los Angeles

Dallas

Houston

I see quite a few possible intersections with the Sinclair tour. :D

It's interesting that both of them decided to "start" their tour in Miami. (Clairol's "preview" in mid-town NYC was a very short stop-only a couple of days- the rest were week-long stops.)

• Like 1

When I've talked to people who went to the fair there's always about 10 things they really liked at the fair (Pieta, waffles, It's A Small World, Futureama, IBM, Sinclair, Carousel of Progress, etc.) and Clairol is often part of that 10. I did know Sinclair had a life after the fair (we have one of the dinosaurs here in Cleveland), I did not know Clairol had a life after the fair. That might explain why it's so engraved in people's memories.