Bill Cotter

FINALLY! There will be an exhibit for the 50th Anniversary!

Still hope to be pulling something off on the 22nd, keep the fingers crossed. The proposal has been put forth, and the Queens Borough President liked it, so here's hoping the corporate sponsor that was thinking about it says yes.

Just found out I have to travel elsewhere that week! I'll be looking for photos of whatever transpires.

This Is great news, I will also be there on June 8th which happens to be my wife's birthday. Bill I do hope plans for April 22nd pan out. Either way I plan on coming to the fairgrounds that day. I do hope I get to finally meet you. Steve

Some updates I just put on Facebook and wanted to share here:

50th anniversary update - April 22 activities

We are still waiting for confirmation of an event we have been working on for April 22, the actual 50th anniversary of opening day. I will post word on that if/when it finally is set.

In the meantime we are asking Parks to sponsor a tour of the site for those who are planning on being there that day. Hopefully this will give people a rallying spot to meet up and enjoy the day together. I'll let you know when we hear back from them

50th anniversary update - art show

The team agreed that an art component for the anniversary is an excellent idea. Right now we're all just buried on other tasks, though, so we are looking for a volunteer to look further into this for us. If you have experience in this area and time to donate please let me know.

50th anniversary update - signs vs. maps

The team met today to discuss putting signs in the park to show where the major pavilions once stood. For a number of reasons, some of which were mentioned in an earlier post, it doesn't look like signs are an option at this point. Instead we plan to make maps available at several locations that people could carry around with them.

Anyone have any map making skills?

We are looking for someone to help with a 1939 and a 1964 map. We can't easily use existing maps from other sources due to copyright considerations. So, if you are artistically inclined and would like to help, please let us hear from you!

It was suggested that the maps could look like this one from Paul Van Dort's wonderful 1939 site: http://www.1939nyworldsfair.com/worlds_fair/wf_tour/Zone-1/Zone-1.htm

That's just one suggestion - we are completely open to others.

We would need the map on a royalty free basis but the creator can certainly be listed. We are talking about selling ads to defray the printing costs so the maps can be given away for free.

If you would like to help in this effort please let me know.

Thanks

Bill

Bad news from Janice Melnick about June 8th............PLEASE READ!

I apologize profusely but a major conflict has been brought to our attention and will we not be able to hold our event on June 8th. We are trying to resolve this issue and determine a new date as soon as possible. As soon as I have a confirmed date I will let you know. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Oh Crud. I will continue to keep you all informed.

In the meantime, this growing list from Queens Tourism........(Bill, is the August 5th entry the project we have been discussing?)

2014 Events Celebrating the 1964 and 1939 World’s Fairs

Announced by the World’s Fairs Anniversaries Honorary Committee Co-Chairs: The Honorable Melinda Katz, Queens Borough President, and The Honorable Margaret Markey, NYS Assembly Chairwoman of the Committee on Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports Development

April

April 5

Taiwan: A World of Orchids, an orchid show sponsored the Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office, Queens Botanical Garden, 9 am to 6 pm (by invitation reception from 3 pm to 5pm), free with QBG admission.

April 5

Peace Through Understanding, Greater Astoria Historical Society, lecture on 1939 WF, whose theme was “Peace Through Understanding,” 1 pm, free.

April 7

Lecture and Exhibit: The 1964-65 World’s Fair, Greater Astoria Historical Society, 7 pm, $5/free for GAHS Members.

April 12

The NY World’s Fair Tour, Greater Astoria Historical Society, noon to 3 pm, meet at boardwalk leading to Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, south of 7 Train Willets Point Station, $5/free for GAHS members.

April 13

Lecture: Visions of Tomorrow: Art and Commerce at the 1939 New York World's Fair, Helen Harrison, director of the Pollack-Krasner House and Study Center and editor of Dawn of a New Day: The New York World's Fair, 1939/40, will discuss ways in which artists’ participation in the WF reflected the planners’ agenda and what role art played in promoting the WF’s theme: Building the World of Tomorrow. Noguchi Museum, 3 pm, free with NG admission.

April 13

64 in 64, Queens Theatre, cosponsored by the Queens Historical Society, photo exhibit includes photos of the construction of Theaterama, Tent of Tomorrow and Observation Towers, all components of the 1964 New York State Pavilion, runs through November 2, open on Mondays from 10 am to 2 pm and Tuesdays through Sundays 10 am to 6 pm, free.

April 13

Iconic Symbols of the 1964 World’s Fair Reimagined — in LEGOs, Queens Theatre, cosponsored by The Port Authority of NY & NJ, runs through November 2/free.

April 13

The New York World’s Fairs and The Port Authority Bringing Trade, Travel and Tourism to Queens, the Region and the World, Queens Theatre, sponsored by The Port Authority of NY & NJ, exhibit includes a pop up, display case and video, runs through August 3, open on Mondays from 10 am to 2 pm and Tuesdays through Sundays 10 am to 6 pm, free.

April 27

Andy Warhol’s 13 Most Wanted Men and the 1964 World’s Fair Exhibit, Queens Museum, Warhol’s 13 Most Wanted Men exhibit sparked a high-profile scandal at the 1964 WF. As part of a prominent set of public commissions for the NYS Pavilion’s exterior, Warhol chose to enlarge mug shots from an NYPD booklet featuring the 13 most wanted criminals of 1962. Tiled together into a square, creating a chessboard of front and profile views of fugitives who were at large at the time, the work was installed by April 15, 1964—and painted over with silver paint a few days later. When the WF opened to the public, all that was visible was a large silver square. Later in the summer of 1964, Warhol produced 20 Most Wanted Men paintings with the screens he had used to make the mural. These works will form the core of this year’s exhibition, developed collaboratively by QM and The Andy Warhol Museum, open Wednesday through Sunday, noon to 6 pm, runs through September 7, free with QM admission.

April 29

Queens Taste 2014, Queens Economic Development Corporation, this annual eating-and-networking event will feature a WF memorabilia table and photos from the WFs will flash on TVs around the venue, Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, Flushing, 6 pm to 9 pm, $100.

Month of April

Queens Center Mall will dedicate space for a small exhibit on how 1939 and 1964 were, indeed, the World's Fairs, playing up the borough’s diversity. The display will include boards with photos and text which will stay the entire time and a display case which will promote WF-related events. For example, in April it will direct people to Queens Taste 2014 with a menu from the Smorgasbord restaurant, a postcard of the Japan restaurants from 1964, photos from about five restaurants from 1964, a save-the-date card and maybe some photos from prior Queens Tastes. Other events included in the case for April will be the Noguchi Museum lecture, the Queens Museum Warhol exhibit and the Port Authority and Lego exhibits at QT.

May

May 1

Unnamed exhibit??, LaGuardia Plaza Hotel, 104-04 Ditmars Blvd., East Elmhurst, free.

May 5

Moving the World to the 1964 World’s Fair, photo exhibit will be on display at the AirTrain JFK Jamaica and Howard Beach Stations until November 12.

May 6 (opening reception on May 25)

World’s Fair Gallery Exhibit, Queens Botanical Garden, an exhibition created largely from archives that look back at the WFs and traces QBG’s history, runs through September 28, free with QBG admission.

May 17

Magic from the 1964 World’s Fair, Queens Theatre, 8 pm, $45.

May 24 to 26

World’s Fair Train Show, Queens Botanical Garden, A working “G-scale” model train exhibit in a WF-themed outdoor setting. On May 24, the festivities will include food and craft vendors, a trackless train for rides through selected sections of QBG, and a 4 pm concert by John Yao’s Big Band, a 17-piece ensemble, presented in partnership with the Long Island Garden Railroad Association and The Kupferberg Center for the Arts, free with QBG admission.

June

June 8

Queens: Where Every Day Is A World’s Fair Festival, Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, the festival will include games, inflatable rides, crafts and activities, tours of historic WF sculptures and structures, memorabilia, and free fun for the entire family, sponsored by the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation and the Queens Borough President’s Office, noon to 4 pm followed by a Queens Symphony Orchestra concert from 4 pm to 6 pm, free.

June 22

Remembering Yesterday: Queens and Its NY World's Fairs, Queens Historical Society, an exhibit open Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, runs through May 31, 2015, free with QHS admission.

June 26

Unnamed photo and memorabilia exhibit??, Long Island City Department of Health Building, sponsored by the LIC Partnership, runs through ??, free.

June 28 to 29

Tour of World’s Fair Grounds, Flushing Meadow Corona Park, Meet at ??, time??/cost??

Month of June:

Innovation and the Fair Exhibit, New York Hall of Science, free with NYSCI admission.

July

July 18 to 20; and July 25 to 27

The World’s Fair Plays, a July festival of 10 original, 10-minute plays inspired by the 1939 and 1964 WFs. Queens Theatre has commissioned world-class playwrights Craig Lucas, Caridad Svich and Wendy MacLeod; multi-disciplinary composer and playwright Todd Almond; hot young artists Lauren Yee and Qui Nguyen; and borough-based up-and-comers Theater 167, as well as three additional writers who have not confirmed their participation yet. There will be eight performances over two consecutive weekends. Each performance will “travel” among QT’s multiple performance spaces.

July 19: World’s Fair Brew Fest, Queens Botanical Garden, participants will sample beers from around the globe and enjoy music, food and craft vendors, two tasting sessions, noon to 3 pm and 4 pm to 7pm, tickets required.

July ??

The Bridge and the Fair, a photo exhibit on the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, Co-sponsored by the MTA and the Queens Historical Society, Whitestone Branch of Queens Public Library, Monday through Friday, free

Month of July

Photo exhibit at Holiday Inn LIC/Manhattan View.

August

August 5

The New York World’s Fairs and The Port Authority Bringing Trade, Travel and Tourism to Queens, the Region and the World, Queens Botanical Garden, sponsored by the Port Authority of NY & NJ, runs through November 1, Tuesday through Sunday, 8 am to 6 pm, free with QBG Admission.

September

September 28

World’s Fair Lecture by Margaret Anne Tockarshewsky, Executive Director of the New Haven Museum, Queens Botanical Garden, 2 pm, free with QBG Admission.

Other

Queens Historical Society will help set up roughly 10 commemorative WF exhibits at various spots, including a few cultural venues and hotels (possibly Borough Hall).

Kupferberg Center for the Arts Jazz Concert??

Louis Armstrong House Museum??

Museum of the Moving Image Film Series??

Queens Jamaica Library exhibit??

Queens Theatre Film Series??

Nothing about this should surprise me at this stage, but...

Robby, do you have a link for this?

I wish I was going to be there April 5. It would be very interesting to learn more about the 1939 Fair and it's theme of "Peace Through Understanding." Sheesh.

Bill, I have been getting this doc from the Director of Tourism. His site is itsinqueens.com, but it doesn't appear there. I will continue to post it.

As far as lectures go, I am sure they will have one on the 1964 Fair and the "World of Tomorrow"!

Well - if the event on the 8th happens I plan to be there with my 10 year old. She loves the Hall of Science and has an appreciation for the fair so she's psyched...hopefully it will come together. Unfortunately the April events all happen while I'm on vacation in Mexico :(

From the Parks Dept. today!!!!

First, please let me apologize for any inconvenience our change of dates for the World's Fair Festival may have caused you. As I hope you can imagine, there is a lot of coordination to pull something like this together. We have now confirmed Sunday, May 18 for the festival in Flushing Meadows Corona Park. We are still putting together all of the events and activities for the day. I truly hope you will be able to join us.

OK, LET THE PLANNING BEGIN!

NEWS FROM . . .

MELINDA KATZ

Queens Borough President

120-55 Queens Boulevard Press Contact: Michael Scholl

Kew Gardens, New York 11424 (718) 286-2640 (office) (646) 257-0316 (cell)

No. 25-14

FOR RELEASE: Tuesday, March 25, 2014

MEDIA ADVISORY: BOROUGH PRESIDENT KATZ, ASSEMBLY MEMBER MARKEY

AND THE WORLD’S FAIR ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE

TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCING SLATE OF EVENTS

MARKING ANNIVERSARIES OF 1939 AND 1964 WORLD’S FAIRS

Queens Borough President Melinda Katz and state Assembly Member Margaret Markey, the co-chairs of the World’s Fair Anniversary Committee, will host a press conference on Friday, March 28 at 11:30 a.m. to announce the scheduling of a six-month series of events to celebrate the 50th and 75th anniversaries of the 1964 and 1939 World’s Fairs, which were held in what is now Flushing Meadows Corona Park in Queens.

The press conference will take place in Flushing Meadows Corona Park at the Unisphere, the huge globe erected for the 1964 World’s Fair that has since become a cultural icon known worldwide as a symbol of Queens.

Among the events to be announced on Friday will be an opening ceremony at the New York State Pavilion at 10:45 a.m. on Tuesday, April 22. That date will be exactly 50 years to the day after the 1964’s World Fair opened to the public.

This year’s opening ceremony will be followed by a rare opportunity for the public to tour the New York State Pavilion. The tours will take place between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Tuesday, April 22.

Another event to be announced Friday will be NYC Parks’ “World’s Fair Anniversary Festival,” a day of great food, great rides, live entertainment, World’s Fair memorabilia and more that will be co-sponsored by the Queens Borough President’s Office and held in Flushing Meadows Corona Park on Sunday, May 18.

A variety of Queens cultural institutions will also be holding World’s Fair Anniversary events this year that will be part of the schedule of festivities to be released at Friday’s press conference.

Also to be released Friday will be a brochure on World’s Fair Anniversary events produced by the Queens Tourism Council, a division of the Queens Economic Development Corporation and a member of the World’s Fair Anniversary Committee. In addition, the Queens Tourism Council will unveil a website offering up-to-date information on World’s Fair Anniversary events.

Borough President Katz and Assembly Member Markey are hosting the press conference in their capacities as co-chairs of the World’s Fair Anniversary Committee, an umbrella group that includes elected officials, the City’s Parks Department, the Queens Tourism Council and the participating cultural organizations that will be hosting World’s Fair Anniversary events. Katz and Markey will offer remarks during the press conference along with representatives from NYC Parks, NYC and Company and other members of the World’s Fair Anniversary Committee.

CONTINUED NEXT PAGE

The additional organizations represented on the World’s Fair Anniversary Committee include the Flushing Meadows-Corona Park Conservancy, the Louis Armstrong House Museum, the Museum of the Moving Image, the New York Daily News, the New York Hall of Science, the New York Mets, the Noguchi Museum, the Port Authority of NY & NJ, the Queens Botanical Garden, the Queens Chamber of Commerce, Queens College, the Queens Historical Society, the Queens Museum, the Queens Theatre and the United States Tennis Association.

WHAT: A press conference announcing a slate of events marking the anniversaries of 1939 and 1964 World’s Fairs

WHEN: Friday, March 28 at 11:30 a.m.

WHERE: The Unisphere at Flushing Meadows Corona Park

Parking for the press will be available in the parking lots of the Queens Museum, just steps away from the Unisphere

In case of inclement weather, the press conference will be held in the lobby of the Queens Museum on the same date and time.

-30-

Holy Cow!! Somebody wake me!! So many things happening at once.....the peacefully neglected pavilion is getting so much attention,so long over due, she's going to stand proud once again...I'm really happy for her! The paint crew stands ready to fix her collar,buff her shows and nudge her to the spot light. This will be a great summer.