Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Disney D23 show to focus on the 1964 NYWF

Mark your calendars for July 26-27 and plan to be at Walt Disney World for a very special celebration of the Fair. D23, Disney's fan club, is holding a two day salute to the Fair. I've seen the preliminary schedule and you won't want to miss this event. I'll post more details when I can, but the agenda exceeds my expectations. It looks like a great chance to see rare materials on the Disney exhibits at the Fair, meet some of the people behind them, and learn how the Fair shaped the Disney parks of today.

I hope to see you there!

I presume you need to be a member of D23 to take advantage of special events?

Yes, but they offer several levels of membership and I believe the lowest one isn't too bad. They haven't announced a price yet for this event. Here's all I have found so far:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2014/01/destination-d-attraction-rewind-announced-for-walt-disney-world-among-upcoming-d23-fan-events-countrywide/

I attended the last D23 Destination D event in 2012 and it was great! I spoke with Becky Cline, the head of the Disney Archives, at the event and gave her a Ford Pavilion pin as a way of reminding her that Disney should do something to commemorate the Disney-Fair connection. So I was excited to hear that this year will include panels on the World's Fair. I'll see you on Monday at Barnes and Nobles to get whatever details you have since I'd like to attend D23 again this year. Thanks.

I got my D23 membership. Now I'm wondering if D23 gets any discounts on Disney World entry / accommodations, or should I just go ahead and make reservations for July? Their web site so far seems to have no details except the date.

I got my D23 Silver membership package today. I wasn't expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised to receive a 23 month calendar in addition to a membership card and certificate.

The calendar starts with February 2014, and each month has artwork related to historic Disney productions with big anniversaries.

The first four months are all related to the 1964-65 NYWF!

Feb Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - concept art;

Mar it's a small world (sic - all lowercase) - with a photo of the tower of the 4 winds next to the artwork;

Apr General Electric Carousel of Progress - concept art;

May Ford Magic Skyway - concept art.

If you want to know the other 19 anniversaries, you'll have to join the club. :)

The all lower case spelling is the official Disney version - see, even the letters are "small". That took a bunch of getting used to in writing memos, etc.

Hold off on booking your trip to Florida for the Disney D23 show featuring the 64 Fair. I was just over at the Studio today and they are very likely to move it from July to November for several reasons.

1) Conflicts with Comic Con in San Diego that same weekend - an issue for presenters and guests
2) Weather - ever been in Orlando in July? Enough said
3) Lower hotel rates

The decision is being finalized and I'll post updates as I get them. The show is on - they have some great plans, and it was fun hearing more details today - but the date is very much in flux.

Guess what I did two days ago. :( :angry:

Oh, man, Wayne, I am SO sorry. Do you have any options? Those are the dates on their published calendar, so I know it wasn't my mistake, but still, wow. I would see if the D23 folks can discount the event in exchange for the airfare penalties. I will mention this to them when back there next week. That is such a bummer!!!

I think I can cancel the Disney reservations without penalty, but the airfare is non-refundable. Have to check if it can be held for a new date (undoubtedly with at least a large change fee). Don't know if I need to know the new dates first.

Disney has formally changed the date for the world's fair themed event as previously posted.

D23: The Official Disney Fan Club announced the date of Destination D: Attraction Rewind presented by H2O plus at Walt Disney World Resort will shift to November 22 and 23. Check-in and exclusive shopping opportunities will begin on Friday, November 21.

In addition to this news, D23 is thrilled to announce Disney Legends Marty Sklar, Bob Gurr and other popular Disney Legends who worked on the Walt Disney shows for the New York World’s Fair will be taking part in the event this fall.

Additional ticketing information—including discounted hotel and park ticket rates for guests attending the event—will be posted later this spring on D23.com.

About Destination D: Attraction Rewind presented by H2O plus:

Walt Disney once said, “Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.” It’s in that spirit that guests this fall will have the opportunity to visit—or revisit—some of the most beloved Disney attractions and entertainment of yesteryear. Destination D: Attraction Rewind, November 22 and 23 at Walt Disney World Resort, will bring Disney archivists, Imagineers, Legends, and luminaries together to celebrate fan favorites such as Adventure Thru Inner Space, If You Had Wings, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with rarely seen concept art and images; vintage video clips; and revealing stories. In addition, several presentations will be dedicated to the 1964–65 New York World’s Fair, which spawned beloved attractions like it’s a small world and Carousel of Progress.

Let us know how it works out.

As expected, changing my Disney reservations was a piece of cake. Also as expected, the air ticket change involved a hefty change fee. Dealing with Disney has always been a pleasure; D23 obviously has not been so great. I don't know if anything could change my opinion, but I'm looking forward to the event with fingers crossed that there are no further screw-ups.

Got my Top of the World ticket for the November Disney/World's Fair event. I know that Bill will be moderating some panels. Anyone else going?

Too bad I`ll miss it by a few days.I`ll be at Disneyworld on Oct 16th to the 20th.

Will you be at the Carousel of Progress special presentation on Friday evening for the Top of the World event?

For those that can't make it, here's a link to viewing the Saturday Carousel presentation: https://d23.com/see-live-stream-carousel-progress-presentation-destination-d/

Looking forward to seeing you and all the Disney Legends next weekend.

You can join D23 for free. It's not as wonderful as the paid memberships but you do get discounts for the parks and events. http://www.disneystore.com/d23-d23-free-membership/mp/1341194/1001064/

Special promotional offers and discounts throughout the year: members can save hundreds of dollars on shopping, entertainment and their next Disney adventure ... D23 Expo 2015: D23 Free Members receive a discount to D23 Expo 2015, which will be held August 14–16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.

I don't know about Friday night yet. I'll be picking up my complete schedule when I get to Florida. I am planning on going to all of the sessions on Saturday and Sunday, so I look forward to meeting up with you.

It was great hearing and seeing you at D23. It was a very worthwhile event and I hope that you enjoyed it as well. As an aside, I heard that the Parks Department is planning on doing more events in Flushing Meadows for the anniversary of the second year of the Fair. Something to look forward to in 2015.