MOLD-A-RAMA

47 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

<a href="http://www.mcs.net/~mcdermot/MoldaFrameHome.html" target="_blank">http://www.mcs.net/~mcdermot/MoldaFrameHome.html</a>

Was Mold-A-Rama the type of machine used at the Fair? Aren't those still in use in a Cleveland museum?

Posted · Report post

It sure looks like it Mike. Why don't you sign their Guestbook on behalf of all of us World's Fair Nuts and tell them about a real collectible: The waxy-plastic dinos from Sinclair Dinoland. I see there's one posting from a guy who said he tried to explain the machines that used to make dinosaurs when he was 8 years old. Got to be Dinoland Dinos, eh?

Bill smile.gif

Posted · Report post

The Henry Ford Museum has several Mold-A-Rama machines. I have a little orange model of the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.

------------------

Marc Williams

<a href="mailto:webmaster@expoarchive.com">webmaster@expoarchive.com</a>

Posted · Report post

I remember the molding machine at Dino land and Lincoln land to be cylindrical in shape, about six feet tall with a diameter around three feet. The one shown looks more like a jute box, what memories do the rest of the members have?

Posted · Report post

Jukebox with a bubble dome is how I've always explained it to others. Got chills looking at the sites pics. Notice the 2 very 60's TV screen like windows on the top. It's IT I'd think.

Posted · Report post

I've seen these molding machine's or ones very similar to the ones at the fair at the Tampa Museum of Science and Industry (Mosi). In fact I was able to get mold of a T-Rex and a Brontosaurus and I think they are the same molds that were used at the fair by Sinclair. They appear to be in the exact same stance as the dino's on display there.

Posted · Report post

Greg, present day molds are essentially the same, except for the engraving on the base. Instead of "Sinclair Dinoland", there will be the name of the museum, or nothing at all.

Posted · Report post

My recollection of the Sinclair Dino birthing machine is juke box like. Much the same as the one pictured here

Posted · Report post

FWIW, I remember one of these machines in the Penn Fruit grocery store my family used to shop at when I was little. This was in suburban Philadelphia circa 1965. As soon as I saw the photo, I remembered that wonderful plastic smell it would emit. The only animal I remember ever being allowed to buy (make?)was a tan colored koala bear, but I think we must have gotten a few more until the novelty wore off. I think they changed the molds every couple of weeks?

Posted · Report post

Bradd-

I work with a man of 39. Sadly, he hears me talk about the NY Worlds Fairs an awful lot and he laughs at my screen savers.

He's told me he was there at '64-'65 in a stroller and all he can recall was the Big Dinos and the smell of his HOT new toy. For yukks I threw some of my waxy dinos in a bag and brought them to work. "Pete, trust me and smell, don't look." He did. His face looked like he smelt a fine hand rolled cigar

or an exotic coffee. "World's Fair!" said Pete.

They do still smell that way Bradd.

_Rich

Anyone- was the Florida orange a Mold-A-Rama?

[This message has been edited by Park Bench (edited 02-08-2001).]

Posted · Report post

Good story, Rich!! The smell was unforgetable! They ought to bottle it and bring it out as a men's cologne.

Yep, I think the consensus is that three pavilions had molding machines. Sinclair, Illinois, Florida.

Posted · Report post

I've heard, (I think from Fred Stern) that there were waxy plastic Unispheres and Pavilions (US Pav. ?) also. Where were they born. I'm Guessing Hollywood USA? Better Living?

Back to the smell---It's like a new box of 64 Crayolas! Right?

Rich

Posted · Report post

Crayolas exactly! Must be the wax content

Posted · Report post

Jake's fun WF Trivia- A company called Batt & Conklin was featured in the Washington State Pavilion at the 1962 Seattle fair. Their exhibit consisted of a set of wax molding machines that prdictably made Space Needle molds. I won a Sinclair dinosaur for nine bucks on e-bay last week and when I got it........HOLD YOUR BREATH....I took a lighter to the bottom to burn off a slight piece of wax so I could luxuriate in that hot wax aroma and chew off the bottom piece that NEVER allowed the subjects to stand right out of the mold machine. My experiment failed as the smell was noxious fumes from the lighter. Just as well...you can't go home aga......I did exploit a wax mold machine in Sarasota at the Jungle Gardens a couple of years ago but it folded last year. (seems I jinx every wonderful roadside attraction by my presence..hmmmm..) and happy mold sniffing!!!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Anyone see that bagfull of Dinos on ebay last week. Any takers? From what I remember the price was up there. Had to be a good half dozen in there. Forgot all about that annoying little mold piece left at the bottom that refused to let the piece stand upright! Always the built in tilt

Posted · Report post

Bag o'Dinos w/ booklet

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=555942422" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V...&item=555942422</a>

$102.50

Posted · Report post

Were these even given out at the Fair, or at gas stations with a fill-up?

Posted · Report post

That particular set perplexed me. Normally, Sinclair stations gave you the pack with the small (about 1" long) dinos. This set looked to have the larger dinos in it. What gives?

Posted · Report post

Mike-

Seller did state that the bag was resealed with new staple.

-Benchosaurus

Posted · Report post

Thought I'd resurect this topic. Took me a while to find it!

Got an email this weekend from a fellow named Jim Irwin. Here's his email:

Hello Bill,

My name is Jim Irwin and I own and operate Replication Devices, Inc. in Tampa Florida <a href="http://www.replicationdevices.com" target="_blank">www.replicationdevices.com</a> . My company has many of the original Mold-A-Rama machines that were introduced at the New York Worlds Fair and I have a large number of the molds that were used there as well. I was hoping you might have information on the machines that were at the fair such as where they were placed in the fair grounds, what molds were used, and what the price was that the patrons were charged. I have been in this business for thirty some years and am

gathering as much info as I can so I can place a history section on my web site.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jim Irwin, President

Replication Devices, Inc.

Do any of you have recollections on the mold-a-rama machines as they appreared at the Fair. I'm sending Jim to this page because I think he might find your original comments about the aroma of the waxy-plastic dinos and toys of the 60s. You can send your comments directly to Jim at mailto:repdev@tampabay.rr.com or you can post them here and I'll ask Jime to bookmark and watch this page for a while to see what turns up.

This topic had quite a few posts to it. Seems everyone remembers these toys and remembers them from the Fair. I think any details you can come up with about the machines at the Fair would be helpful to Mr. Irwin.

[This message has been edited by Bill Young (edited 06-24-2002).]

Posted · Report post

In case anyone was still wondering where you could get a Unisphere made:

mold-a-rama.jpg

I know there were some shots of the souvenir shop before but I'm not sure if they're still online, so here's one more to be sure.

Posted · Report post

The Unisphere is one of the hardest-to-find moldaramas from the NYWF.

But the rarest of all is the Vatican Pavilion. I was lucky to find one a few years ago, but haven't seen one since. The machine *is* mentioned in the official Vatican Pavilion guidebook.

Posted · Report post

I don't think I've seen a Vatican Mold-A-Rama. Got a picture handy, Randy?

Here's the shot I was thinking of the souvenir stand. You can see the machines just above the Billy Graham Pavilion sign. The Unisphere Mold-A-Rama sign doesn't appear to be there.

graham-souvenir.jpg

Posted · Report post

I don't think I've seen a Vatican Mold-A-Rama. Got a picture handy, Randy?

post-164-125576381011_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

No wonder it's rare. I imagine most Mold-A-Rama customers were kids, and how could he Vatican hope to compete with a T-Rex?