Bill Cotter

Guaranteed to make you hungry

What? You don't want any "Cheese Spread With Shrimp" (red container) or "Cheese Spread With Mushrooms" (yellow-green container)? No Brisling Sardines or Limfjord Mussels?

You certainly have some long forgotten photographs, Bill. I can check a guidebook but it appears that these table settings and that "food" might have been the heart and soul of the pavilion. Is this an accurate statement? Or did Denmark have other exhibits?

I make note of this because I remember that the few international pavilions my family actually visited were mainly gift shops and/or restaurants. Oddly, the largest and most dramatic international exhibit must have been the Vatican pavilion. My mother wanted to see the Austria pavilion and my father wanted to see Ireland. I have memories of both. Austria was unique architecture that survived for nearly 50 more years, but it was a huge Alpine gift shop. Ireland was ok. It had a restaurant that served Irish coffee and had a giant map showing where Irish families originated. And it had a large gift shop.

Having said this, I have to ask: what is that mess in the dish in the last photograph? It looks like partially eaten chicken or something one might find in the back of of the fridge six months after it was placed there.

Here's the dish in question, Jim. I think it looks a bit better here:

denmark-dish.jpg

Some sort of pastry?

Besides these table displays, I know the pavilion also had displays about furniture, tourist sights, a gift shop, a playground and a very nice restaurant. There may well have been more.

Since the foreign pavilions were built by private companies and not their governments I guess the commercial aspect is understandable, even though disappointing.

Well, I do appreciate the enlargement for identification purposes but I'm not sure that stuff looks any better.

Bill, you are right. The pavilions probably had a mission to turn some sort of a profit for their investors.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2013 at 3:16 PM, Bill Cotter said:

Denmark Pavilion

September 1965

denmark-2.jpg

Ah yes, a display of Danish pork--with cows?