• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MprGamer

MprGamer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hello, we were recently restoring part of our house and found an 1939 Souvenir Medal from the 1939 worlds fair in great condition, the problem is i can not find anything like it on the net and thought it might be really rare and valueable the markings are a flag on the front with the date and an image of the Trylon and Perisphere and on the back it has an image of the Administration Building. i will attach a photo, please help me identify this and let me know if its rare. Thanks so much!

the picture is blury because of my cruddy cam, but the coin is very clear and detailed, but the pic should give an idea of the markings i described.

Attached Files

#2 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Welcome to the World's Fair Community, MprGamer-- and how exciting that you found a piece of 1939 New York World's Fair memorabilia!  As you may or may not be aware, the 39 NYWF was extremely well marketed-- with literally thousands of souvenir items produced-- including many commemorative coins, medals, and tokens.  Without a more clear picture of your medal, however, it's probably going to be difficult for those of us who are most passionate about that particular Fair to offer too much help in identifying it or assessing its value.  Any chance you could post a better pic?  And in the meantime, is it anything like one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item51a8450727

#3 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

If you know someone with a scanner, scan it instead of trying to take a picture.

#4 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

I really can't see what's on the front - take your word for it that it's the Trylon and Perisphere.

The reverse is the administration building.

It appears to have a hole punched in it, is that correct?

There are many similar (from what I can see in your pic) coins/medals on the web, (with and without a hole) but most apparently have Washington's inauguration on the reverse. Prices seem to range from $5 - $25.

Edit: searched "1939 world's fair coin building" on ebay and came up with similar ones except reverse was communications building or Medicine and Public Health building, so it seems there was a series.

#5 magikbilly

magikbilly

Mock the midnight hour once more...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hi All, hi Trey,

my guess - non-licensed smaller version judging from the size relation of Admin building and medal. I can see the flag and T&P on the obv. and I have seen that on the smaller knock off tokens. Look for the initials ESC or um....EPCO. If you find those it is licensed.

Best guess - value less than $10.

Best wishes,

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users