GM Bus with stated WF connection for sale

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Yes, Trey has been trying to convince his wife they really need to buy it... :)

Posted · Report post

Road trip!

Posted · Report post

Very funny, Bill! Actually, maybe there is an angle I can play-- my wife has been looking for a new car with enough room for the kids and their friends. She could probably pack the whole damn school into a Futurliner!

Posted · Report post

I would hate to imagine the cost to actually operate it with today's gas prices.

Posted · Report post

She could probably pack the whole damn school into a Futurliner!

And she could open up the big side door to reveal a stage for one of those school concerts by George Thorogood and the Destroyers!
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I live in Studio City, just down the street from where this great beast had been sitting for years. In the early 1990s, it was just a rusted hulk, so the owner must have seriously poured money into its restoration.

Posted · Report post

Actually there were several of these so you might've seen one that is still a rusted hulk as this one seems to be in "as presented" condition

Posted · Report post

Nope, this actually is the Sherman Oaks/Studio City model-- I met the owner a couple of times and watched him slowly but surely restore it to its former glory. It literally took him years to do it-- but the end result is awesome. :) Meanwhile, magickbilly might be able to confirm this-- but I'm fairly certain we've never been able to prove that the Futurliners made a World's Fair appearance of any kind.

Posted · Report post

Yes, the documentation we've found is that they arrived "at the World's Fair"- but probably a short time before it opened. And we've found nothing that says they were still there when the gates DID open, before they hit the road to begin their nationwide tour.

Posted · Report post

That bus is proof positive that people in 1939 had vision along with remarkable creativity. That bus is a gem.