gabriel3d

Expo 67 panoramas

That is dissapointing for sure Bill. Hopefully it might pick up with the 50th anniversary coming up in 2017! Some of the panoramas and images I've shared are from pics in my collection or from friends. I realized it would be hard to monetize these with people downloading, trading, etc., it's a tough sell to say the least.

Too funny Randy, yeah, poor man's hovercraft! Here is the hovercraft slip at La Ronde BTW! And if you want to see a 360 photosynth of the La Ronde slipway, click on this link! http://photosynth.ne...5&p=0:0&t=False

The La Ronde slipway is pretty eerie as well. There are many Expo 67 artifacts scattered around the slipway (concrete light bases, very nice triangular planting pots, etc). The place basically is a dump from what I can tell.

562750_10151016490082233_1057955237_n.jpg

Gabriel,these "very nice triangular planting pots" in your video,would hold a triangular white nylon garbage container.As a..ahem..sanitary engineer at Expo,I had to empty them many times a day and clean them during night shifts.I can assure everybody they didn't smell as good as flowers.... :)

1o8zty.jpg

LOL, too funny Nars! Correct me if I'm wrong (since your the expert!), but what I've been told was that these were originally designed as garbage bins, but with the huge influx of visitors, they were too small, so they resorted to large metal containers (or something like that). When that happened, they converted the triangular bases to flower pots. i think I remember seeing them in some vintage Expo pics with flowers in them (or maybe I'm imagining this, lol).

BTW, these were very nice first class garbage cans, the concrete was embedded with pearly white stones, and the concrete was a nice white color, not grey. So I still stand that they at least make very nice (if not beautiful), flower pots! :wub:

I've seen also some much larger versions (I have pics of them somewhere) at Cite du Havre, maybe the larger ones were originally intended as flower pots? Nars, can you shed some light on this?

There were some round concrete flower pots scattered around Expo, I rememer some in particular in an image at Swan Lake. Some of them still are being used at some of the Habitat condos!

Gabriel,as we see on this pic,larger ones contained flowers:

2mqswty.jpg

Small ones,that sanitary engineers had been trained for months to empty,sanitize and brainwashed to concentrate on,were for garbage.Btw,with that great looking dumpster and this gorgeous,triangular garbage container so close,wasn't that an inviting place to have lunch,or what? :rolleyes:

e5k9cx.jpg

"There were some round concrete flower pots scattered around Expo, I rememer some in particular in an image at Swan Lake"

At Swan Lake,flower pots had the shape of a reversed truncated cone:

2lt4h8p.jpg

Round flower pots were in many different locations all over the site,as we see here at the CN pavilion:

21jap86.jpg

Finally,there were larger round garbage cans at some other places:

349530x.jpg

Nars,the certified gargage expert. :wub:

Seeing your pic of the China Pavilion- what a step down from two years earlier in New York! Compared to the fancy roof and balconies that they had at the NYWF, their Expo pavilion looks comparitively boring. I wonder what happened?

Nice, thanks for the pics and info Nars. Yes, that is the picture with the flower pots at Swan Lake that I remember seeing. There is a couple of them at Habitat!

I don't remember the Republic of China (Taiwan) pavilion in NYC, but by 1967, things were changing. I have no idea why the Expo pavilion was less dramatic, but by 1970 Canada recognized the Peoples Republic as the only China and the next year the Republic of China (Taiwan) was removed from the UN and in 1971 it was no longer a participant in Olympic games under the name of China. None of this just happened. It was a growing reality for at least a decade and Taiwan knew it. Is it possible that their presence at Expo was less than enthusiastic? Or maybe they hired an architect who lacked creativity. In a landscape of spectacular pavilions, this one is decidedly uninspired.

I like the life saving ring on the post near Swan Lake. I wonder if they ever used those things.

Here's a view showing some of the triangular flower pots. This shot is from 1968, and the helicopter is approaching a make-shift heliport on the former site of the USSR Pavilion.

1968-heliport.jpg

Labyrinth was incredible. It was the best pavilion I saw at both the NYWF and Expo 67. Nothing else was comparable at either fair. I was blown away and all these years later, I still think of it. I remember waiting in a long line just like the one in the photograph. It was an experience I have remembered all of my life.

• Like 1

Is the pan from "opening ceremonies" from post-Expo 67 Man and His World years. Seems to be an awfully sparse crowd.

I believe so, I'll have to check the source again. That did occur to me as well about the sparse crowds, I think the pan is from early on in the ceremony. The closing ceremonies were also pretty crowded.