gabriel3d

Expo 67 panoramas

What would you guys say was the "theme building" or "theme structure" of Expo 67? The equivalent of an Eiffel Tower, Trylon & Perisphere, Atomium, Space Needle, Unisphere, etc. ?

Question on Who Wants to be a Millionaire other day was, "Which structure was not built for a World's Fair?" Answers were Unisphere, Eiffel Tower, Space Needle?, one or two more I don't recall. I had just walked in and turned on tv, sound off, in mid-segment, when happened to notice.

Contestant, by facial expression, did not answer correctly. He looked to be around 40, too old for such a rookie mistake. Obviously not a PTUer.

I don't know that forty us old enough to recognize those three fairs. The fact is that person was not around even at the time of the Seattle and NYC fairs and unless he is a historian of international expoitions, he would not know the answer.

I never thought of expo having a theme center. It was too unconventional a fair and it had theme pavilions and exhibits but no one single signature structure. Mr Drapeau had wanted a tower but it never came to pass. If one structure was an attempt to replicate the theme maybe it was Calder's huge sculpture, "Man." However, that sculpture was relatively small, not prominentl/y dispayed and seldom, if ever, even appeared on postal cards or souvenirs. It was just sort of there and it has been relocated to another location on Ile Ste. Helene since Expo closed.

Why not the Canadian Pavillion as the theme center.If I recall that was the unique upside down triangle building.Canada was also the host country.I was also there as a teen with 4 friends.It was my first long trip from home as well as my first trip out of the country.I was supposed to be home to study for my college finals but a trip to expo was much more exciting.

The Canadian Katimavik was iconic and spectacular. The US geodesic dome, the Soviet ski slope roofed pavilion, the British tower, the West German tent--all were impressive. However, none fully represented the theme and spirit of the entire exposition. The theme pavilions did highlight aspects of the theme of Man and Hs World but were not the single focal point of Expo. There really was no such particular theme center at least as people had come to know a theme center in fairs that immediately preceeded Expo. Place des Nations was a focal point for ceremonies that highlighted the theme but was not a theme center per se.

Expo broke the pattern of fair layout as was seen in NYC, for example, which used the same pattern for two fairs with a central theme center. But many fairs had theme centers or symbols: Paris, 1889; Buffalo, 1901; San Francisco, 1915; San Francisco, 1939; NYC in 1939 and 1964; Brussels in 1958; Seattle in 1962 etc. Many did not.

When I look at Expo images on souvenirs etc,, I see pavilions, the islands and the Expo logo. There is no central theme center and certainly no one structure from which all others radiated as in NYC.

I was looking at those stitched-together panorama views and thought something was missing from what an International Expo ought to look like--- just broad vistas and, from a distance like the other side of the river looked like a bunch of small colorful, yet interesting, buildings. I couldn't put my finger on it. Was it the river banks? Was it the river itself? It seemed to have something to do with the horizon, but I couldn't figure it out.

It took me two days, but finally it dawned on me what was missing--- some kind of big theme structure! that's why I asked the question- was there anything that was supposed to be a theme structure, and if so, why doesn't it stand out in panorama views like this?

Expo 70 had the Sun tower.

That's exactly what the site architects of Expo67 wanted. Instead of going in the more traditional (and strict) approach in designing the Fair, they took the "less is more" design to allow pavilion architects free reign in their creative design.

The central structure was the Canadian Government Pavilion - especially Katimavik that represented the host nation but also celebrated the confederation. But is wasn't overwhelming and it was modestly situated at the end of Notre-Dame Island instead of being centrally located. All this was made to better respect the Man and His world central theme. But when you look at the pavilions placement, you see a remarquable balance attained by distributing the building's weight over a wide area.

It was a sort of an equality between nations thing.

But in the amusement area of La Ronde, the (weird) Gyrothron was the central structure.

Roger

One reference I found said the big tower would have been located on the far tip of Ile-de-St.Helene, (spelling?- you know which one I mean :) ), so that it would face the port.

Maybe you said that in your paper--- my French is.. well, zero. :)

I found the proposal to temporarily relocate the Eiffel Tower to be pretty bizarre. I suppose it would be doable- but- all that modern architecture at Expo, and an 1889 open-frame tower? I like both, but they just don't go together aesthetically.

I've heard for several years that there have been various proposals to tear down the Olympic stadium, since the baseball team left.

Would they leave the tower as a monument?