Sign in to follow this  
Nicole Hillner

Automotive Car Pieces From GM Futurama Ride/Display 1939 World's Fair New York

post-5331-0-14987600-1330281678_thumb.jppost-5331-0-07074200-1330281684_thumb.jppost-5331-0-15274500-1330281690_thumb.jppost-5331-0-27267200-1330281696_thumb.jp

Hello,

I have automotive pieces (cars) from the GM Futurama ride in the 1939 World's Fair in New York. Uncle Eddie, a family friend who was on the crew that set up & dismantled the Futurama ride, wound up with a portion of the display.

The following is a link to photographs of the unrestored cars in their original condition, http://www.flickr.com/photos/77085411@N02/sets/72157629408142929/

The writing, Futurama, on the roof of the largest car is in pencil, the writing on the bottom is in ink & pencil. The large metal car measures approximately 5.5" long 2" high & 2.5" wide. The smaller plastic cars measure from 0.5" to just over 2" in length.

I am seeking any information of their potential value with the intent of selling. Ideally it would be nice to see them displayed for public consumption. Unfortunately the museums are only interested in donations.

Thank You,

Nicole

Hi,

Here is a small scan of this 35,000 sq. ft. Futurama installation in progress.

post-434-0-80203400-1330329582_thumb.jpg

The General Motors Futurama being installed, January, 1939.

Best wishes,

Eric

Here are additional photos posted to Flickr;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77085411@N02/sets/72157629469929597/

Just to restate, the vehicles are all original, unrestored, & completely "crusty" :D I know there is color variation in some of the pictures; they were taken at different times with different cameras. I find the latest Flickr set of photographs to be the most accurate for color.

- Nicole

Hey Trey! :D

Very cool display! Also glad they went to a great home and collection. I too have one! :) I am having considerable problems with my display though. Can't compete with yours. My car is small, but I have construction slides, color slides, interior candids and pics of Bel Geddes holding this stuff and even Futurama installation - I have no idea how to round that all up - so far ;)

Best wishes,

Eric

Hi All, hi Trey :D

I made a quick composite to illustrate my problems with this GM display. These items range in size from very smalll to 8x10. Problem is I want to display only my originals - not prints. Of course, the construction slide and my color slides (this example is the only thing I have scanned and it is horrible) will need to be printed to be seen. The interior print of the highways is also a blurry sample - I have much better unscanned from little sharp snaps and larger 5x7's like the nightime intersection photo shown. It is much easier to round this stuff up in here! ;)

Trey and All, have you seen this upcoming Bel Geddes exhibit in Texas?

http://www.hrc.utexa...tions/upcoming/

post-434-0-39316300-1337649677_thumb.jpg

Some of my GM items:

Construction slide GM intersection, C. early 1938

Futurama installation, January 1939

Norman Bel Geddes with his Futurama, January 1939

35mm Kodachrome slide of GM Highways and Horizons building, 1939/40

Interior 5x7 b/w print of highways in the Futurama, 1939

Night shot of the Futurama intersection as part of the diorama (have color slide of full size intersection better than Corbis but unscanned), 1940

Robin's egg blue truck from the Futurama, injection molded plastic, designed by N. Bel Geddes, 1939/40

"I Have Seen The Future" button, GM giveaway, 1940

Oddly, I made no effort to collect GM! This is just accumulated, like run off!

Any ideas or suggestions for my display most welcome. :)

Best wishes,

Eric

Edit to add: It has only taken 8 years or so but I am posting larger images these days ;)

My grandfather, who was a tool and die maker, made the vehicles for the Futurama exhibit. I have a number of them. Is anyone able to tell me what they are worth?