3D reconstruction of the Belgian Pavilion - Where to find detailed information?

15 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi!

I'm a student at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar in Germany, and I will be doing a 3D reconstruction of Henry van de Velde's Belgian Pavilion for a class project.

post-5219-0-27717500-1321443868_thumb.jpg

I already have some information, such as pictures of the outside of the buildings, some medium-quality plans, etc. so I can start modelling the building. However, I would like to ask if any of you has or knows how to find more detailed information (such as better quality plans, or interior pictures). I would also be interested in detailed plans of the Fair, as I would like to do a mass-modelling of the surrounding buildings.

This is what I have done so far: (I'm not sure if the image will show in full size... am I doing something wrong when uploading the picture?)

post-5219-0-46567300-1321443836_thumb.jpg

As an example of previous work I have done, here is a video of Gaudí's first project for the Casa Milà in Barcelona (please consider that this was a few years ago and I didn't have much time to work on it)

polforeman's Channel - YouTube

So, any help would be greatly appreaciated. Even though I have enough information and can proceed to modelling the outside (which I will show you if you're interested) I would like to make the model as exact as possible.

Thank you very much!

Pol Foreman

post-5219-0-46567300-1321443836_thumb.jp

post-5219-0-27717500-1321443868_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

I have many exterior photos of this pavilion in the form of postcards, but I'll send by pm to you the email address of a person in France who has a much better collection than I, including many specialty views of the Belgian Pavilion (and all pavilions).

In the last week or two I came across a web site that had many views of this pavilion under construction, including interiors... but unfortunately I didn't save the url.

For now, here is an interior view of the flower garden.

1937_Belg_Pav_flower_garden.jpg

Trivia: It's said that the Belgian Pavilion sat almost directly over the tunnel which was built many years later, where Princess Diana was killed in the car crash.

Posted · Report post

reload this page, and you'll see the picture (it didn't work at first)

Posted · Report post

I have found quite a lot of information after all, by searching google intensively!

Here is an update with some newer images (still Work in Progress, don't take them seriously!)

eTb96.jpg

SDYXth.jpg

Iqkhth.jpg

I will keep you updated :)

Posted · Report post

Good work Pol! Thanks for sharing your work-in-progress.

Posted · Report post

Very good! I look forward to seeing future work also.

Posted · Report post

Can't wait to see the finished product. Paris 1937 is in my top 5 favorite world's fairs. I always find it amazing how they managed to construct a major international exposition in the center of Paris by building those tunnels and constructing pavilions on pilings above them and over the Seine.

Posted · Report post

Well, I'm back!

The project is finally finished, although I could have worked on it much more...

I have modelled almost everything, except for the Eiffel Tower and the flag. I will upload some more pictures from the inside soon :)

Let me know what you think!

JHUkS.jpg

uAGrN.jpg

Hvjis.jpg

QBMS0.jpg

Tng79.jpg

lK8Mk.jpg

Posted · Report post

These are coming along very nicely. Great work!

Posted · Report post

Very nice indeed.

Posted · Report post

Very exciting! I've seen so many still pictures, it's nice to see a 3-D model is now done.

Posted · Report post

Very realistic looking.

Posted · Report post

Wow.

Reflections on windows are spectacular! Good work!

Posted · Report post

And here are the "cubes" I rendered and later turned into 360º Panoramas. Of course I didn't model the Traction Avant ;)

bsfh3.jpg

0popd.jpg

ZudbY.jpg

7XYhy.jpg

Posted · Report post

Hello there,

Are you willing to share parts of your 3D context model with me for my project involving the Japan Pavilion at the 1937 Expo?

Thank you!

Tim Zeitler