Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gary h

Pavilion of Footprint - fond memories

4 posts in this topic

While traipsing around Youtube, I found this video of the Pavilion of Footprint from Expo 2010. It's a pretty good representation of that excellent exhibit, which was among my favorites at the Expo . The discovery of this particular video was of added interest and pleasure in that I got a very complete, one-on-one guided tour of the exhibit by a young lady who is also seen here (about a minute into the video) describing things to the filmmaker.

What made my tour with her memorable was that she was willing to talk not only about the pavilion points, but graciously answered my gently probing questions about life in China and Shanghai, her education, and her family life. THe Q and A turned into a very interesting and engaging conversation about our different (but similar in certain ways) points of view, which made the special tour especially special. And I was delighted to discover her on Youtube.

And I liked the pavilion so much that I visited it twice! (First time guided by the young lady and the second time revisiting the best parts of the pavilion on my own.) Amazingly, never a line!

Anyway, if you want to take a peek into a really good exhibit, here's the link to the video:

Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing

I also liked this pavilion very much. I especially liked the Ishtar gate (about 1:40 in the film). The German museum hand lent it to the British Museum a few months earlier - it was displayed much much better in Shanghai.

As well as taking the exhibits for themselves, it was also interesting to try to assess the value of exhibits lent by different countries

Gary,

Don't know if you remember me, but I met you and Bill Young for lunch at Swiss Pavilion.

The Footprint Pavilion was also one of my favorites. As you mention, there was never a line to get in.

I envy you that you were able to get a personal tour.

If you don't already have it, I recommend the interactive DVD of the pavilion, which I bought at World Expo Museum pavilion (also one of my favorites), directly across from the Footprint pavilion.

I also have about a dozen still pics of pavilion I took, which I had to enhance because of forgetting to use proper camera setting.

I'll try and upload them (along with all my other Expo 2010 pics) at some point.

Of course I remember! DOn't know if you saw it, but Bill Young posted a photo of us at the Swiss Restaurant. Here's the link to that thread:

BTW, did you get into China or Saudi Arabia?