Bill Cotter

Some 1939-40 New York World's Fair images

I haven't posted anything from this Fair recently, but since I'm working on a stack of negatives I thought I would correct that now. Here's one to get things started.

time-and-fates.jpg

"Fate and Times of Man"

bu Paul Manship

August 18, 1940

^ Ah, home of Elektro.

Great shots !

^ AWESOME.

Interesting how much larger Peri was than Uni. Wonder why Uni didn't receive the same spacial treatments...

new-york-night.jpg

October 26, 1940

The sign on the right says

Adult Playground, Florida Exhibit, Camp George Washington (arrow to the right)

Great White Way, Magic Circle, American Jubilee (arrow to the left)

^ Made out of tin/aluminum, probably, right?

Stainless steel, I believe.  Have searched for it myself over the years-- but fairly (sadly) certain it no longer exists-- like most of that great fair's artistry. Did find a couple of NYPL archival pix of the artist Robert Foster at work, though-- on both MERCURY, and his infamous EAGLE flagpole finials which still remain in the park and have long been incorrectly attributed to German/Nazi presence at the 39/40 NYWF.

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=1798236&imageID=1673407&total=48&num=40&parent_id=1785185&word=&s=1&notword=&d=&c=&f=&k=0&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&lword=&lfield=&imgs=20&pos=43&snum=0&e=w

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=1791022&imageID=1654031&total=19&num=0&parent_id=1788715&word=&s=1&notword=&d=&c=&f=&k=0&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&lword=&lfield=&imgs=20&pos=9&snum=0&e=w

And yet they still melted it down?! Dang.

And I remember seeing those in the park... And thinking if they were German related. Good to hear that they are not!