I have a gold medal from the World's Fair of 1900 held in Paris, the problem I have come to, is trying to find out who the reception was and how rare this medal is. Would you guys know anything of this medal or where it came from? I searched all over the internet and still haven't found anything past what the medal is where it came from.

The international expositions held at least up until World War II, were also huge trade fairs. Judging committees awarded medals in a huge slew of categories such as architecture, art, manufacturers of products such as wine and champagne, etc. Where you see references to them more often is that the winners advertised their winnings in later years on the labels of the products themselves. ('winner of gold medal at Paris 1900, Brussels, 1910', etc etc). But most often it's printed on those labels in French or German- because these contests were mostly a European thing.

Here is an example, in a perfume category:

http://www.zibbet.com/FrenchKissed/artwork?artworkId=389799

Here is a page about the medals handed out at your 1900 Paris Exposition, although it doesn't get into the categories of awards.

http://www.expomedals.com/1900/

Some expositions also handed out medals to visiting VIP dignitaries. This practice continues right up through modern Expos and World's Fairs. At the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, the protocol seemed to be 'the bigger name dignitary, the bigger size medal and more precious metal'. But Fair visitors could also buy the same basic medal at the souvenir stands, in lower metal grades.

There is a bronze medal from your 1900 Paris Expo up for auction on eBay right now. You might watch how it ends up to approximate a market value. Obviously a gold medal- usually meaning '1st place'- would probably be worth a bit more than a bronze- usually meaning '3rd place'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1900-EXPO-OLYMPIC-ART-NOUVEAU-MEDAL-CHAPLAIN-/230620032858#ht_8058wt_1230

This particularly bronze medal also includes the original presentation folder.

Where you see references to them more often is that the winners advertised their winnings in later years on the labels of the products themselves. ('winner of gold medal at Paris 1900, Brussels, 1910', etc etc). But most often it's printed on those labels in French or German- because these contests were mostly a European thing.

I wonder if Andy Warhol knew, when he painted his famous soup can art, that he was including a gold medal from the 1900 Paris International Exposition?

Campbell's won a gold medal there, and has shown it on their soup can label ever since.

campbells.jpg