1964 world's fair @ penn hills resort

22 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Great! Can you post a list of some of the things even if you don't currently have photos to post? I think we all thought you just had the Luminaires.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for finding us - looking forward to more!

Posted · Report post

That spotlight matches the ones that were in the towers that were pointed at the Unisphere.

That inside light fixture is from the Egypt Pavilion.

Posted · Report post

There were five spotlight towers surrounding the Unisphere. Each tower had as many as 21 of these spotlights mounted in the tower. So there were something like 100 of them there at the Court of the Presidents.

64-07-11-21b_Unisphere.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the main exhibit room at the Egypt Pavilion, showing the light fixtures. There were at least six of the type of fixture we see in the picture at Penn Hills. Four white ones and two gold ones.

64-06-25_Egypt_interior.jpg

NYWF-9-64-EgyptInt.jpg

Posted · Report post

Thank you for the details and pics of exactly where they were! much appreciated!

Posted · Report post

Do you have a price list, especially for the luminaires?

Posted · Report post

i will hopefully by the end of this weekend! the reason i dont have everything together is because i didnt know for sure where or if any one would want to buy the luminaries and such, so please bare with me... thank you

Posted · Report post

Hey, Penn, those are great colors. Note to buyers...Flipping the panels around will reveal much of the original bright color. The sides that have been exposed to the elements for 47 years have faded considerably. The backsides of most of those colored panels should be quite colorful (assuming they were never flipped before, which they probably weren't). Here's photo of what I found with mine. Quite a difference.

post-86-0-26765200-1303994812_thumb.jpg

I wonder of any of the poles have the label on them that identifies where the pole was at the fair? I can't locate that thread, does anybody have that photo of the label that Randy Lambertus posted?

Posted · Report post

What is the structure for discounts if multiple fixtures are purchased?

Posted · Report post

im sorry for the changes to the luminaries i have a total of ten 2 are spoken for. please check on Ebay for them or if you would like to come to Cresco PA and purchase them from my yard please msg me. i can no longer arrange shipping because my boyfriend ripped his hernia open again and is no longer willing to help me.

Posted · Report post

i can no longer arrange shipping because my boyfriend ripped his hernia open again and is no longer willing to help me.

Don't forget this wisdom...

'Leave the boyfriend. Keep a luminary.'

The Godfather, abridged script (2011)

Originally, Leave the gun, take the canollis, but we have to be flexible, ya know?. :rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

What should we be looking for on eBay in order to find them? I'm having a tough time searching for them. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

What should we be looking for on eBay in order to find them? I'm having a tough time searching for them. Thanks.

world's fair luminary

Posted · Report post

Thanks Randy, and thanks Penn Hills Resort. I was looking under luminaires and luminaries. Lots of possible spellings for these things! ;)

Posted · Report post

Don't forget this wisdom...

'Leave the boyfriend. Keep a luminary.'

The Godfather, abridged script (2011)

Originally, Leave the gun, take the canollis, but we have to be flexible, ya know?. :rolleyes:

hahhahaha thats funny!

Posted · Report post

1964/65 Luminaries For Sale

post-4997-0-68834900-1307219472_thumb.jpg

i have two of this 8 cubed light as pictured they both have speakers! and have been rewired to use high pressure sodium bulbs (bulbs and ballast included)

$1200.00 /bo + shipping

i can FOR SURE arrange the shipping from fedex or ups and possible deliver myself at a discounted rate. (depending on the distance) $600.00

please send me a message if interested with your address and i will get the shipping quote. or give us a call at

570-350-4490 i have poor cell phone reception at my house so if no answer please leave a message

post-4997-0-06700400-1308139103_thumb.jpg post-4997-0-82191500-1308139107_thumb.jpg

HAS BEEN CLEANED OUT(DIRT, BUGS, THOSE BIG HEAY BALLEST THINGS, BROKEN LIGHT BULBS, ECT...)

$1200 + SHIPPING

TO CALCUATE SHIPPING

WEIGHT: 275LBS FREIGHT CLASS: 125

IF YOU WANT THE POLE AS WELL WEIGHT: 125 FREIGHT CLASS: 70

OR YOU CAN PICK IT UP FROM MY YARD IN CRESCO PA, 18326

the light that is lit is jst to show you what they look like lit! (actual pic from my yard)

With in 100 miles from Cresco Pa, we will deliver the lights and pole for $600.00. (covers gas and truck rental.)

Posted · Report post

Wow, those lamps are colorful... and the clean interiors is a very nice benefit! I urge you collectors to strike while the iron is hot. I can't imagine that you'll ever find unrestored lamps in this nice, clean condition again.