• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 marc

marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

hello i have a license plate i believe is form the 33' fair in chicago. I don't know if it's from the cheverolet assembly line they had there or what. i also have a plate topper i believe is from the fair . if anyone has seen a plate like this could you let me know. or if you no the history of it that would be great.
thanks

Attached Files

#2 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

Well, the image on the left of the plate is an official logo of the 1933 Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago. So, you have an interesting find. I does not appear to be an official Illinois license plate, of course. It looks to be a souvenir tag or a promotional tag. Either way, it is unique. I have never seen anything like it. And welcome to this web site!

#3 molassesonassis

molassesonassis

In Grover We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

hello i have a license plate i believe is form the 33' fair in chicago. I don't know if it's from the cheverolet assembly line they had there or what. i also have a plate topper i believe is from the fair . if anyone has seen a plate like this could you let me know. or if you no the history of it that would be great.
thanks

Yes, that plate was put on the Chevrolet cars that came off of the C of P assembly line. It is rare. Certainly valued into 3 figures but I'm not sure how far.

#4 marc

marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

thanks for the info. i thought it might have been something that was installed on the assembly line. i would love to get a picture of a car with the plates on it. thanks again for the help.

#5 molassesonassis

molassesonassis

In Grover We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

FYI: The Fords produced at "A Century of Progress" had a gear shift knob emblazoned with the Ford rotunda and a brass plaque on the dash stating it was made at the fair. My great uncle Hugo bought one at the fair, which he drove until the1960s. Posted Image

Attached File  images.jpeg   6.57KB   36 downloads

#6 marc

marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

here is a license plate topper that i picked up in my grandfather house.

Attached Files

#7 molassesonassis

molassesonassis

In Grover We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Original pre-war license plate toppers are in demand and do command some green. Just be aware there are many re-pops.

#8 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

Just spotted this postcard on eBay, with an interesting message on the back from one of the workers in the General Motors pavilion- probably on that Chevrolet assembly line. Since he's writing to his uncle in Detroit, he probably had assembly line experience up there and that got him the World's Fair job.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

Here is what Chevrolet's World's Fair assembly line looked like.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And for us map afficionados, yes there is a map! I guess it ties to those position numbers in the first photo. Too bad this map isn't high resolution to read it. :(
Posted Image
But good news- you can get it on eBay, get a better scan, and share it here!
http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_1948wt_1163

Here is a different brochure, with the position indicators explained, but minus the map. It includes a nice panorama view
Posted Image

I found a reference that says that GM had to close their plant in Janesville, Wisconsin in 1932 due to the depression. But they took 200 of the Janesville workers down to Chicago to work on the Chevrolet assembly line at the World's Fair. The Janesville plant reopened in 1934.

Here are the identifier numbers for the cars that came off the World's Fair assembly line.
http://clubs.hemming...3chevrolet.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users