3 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,285 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:16 AM

Japan started off on March 1, 1970 by issuing this Air Letter Sheet. An Air Letter Sheet is basically a sheet of paper which can be folded up into an envelope (with the flap already having moisture-activated gum to seal it closed). A stamp was pre-printed on it, to pay the rate for international air mail.

This example has a first day postal cancellation.
Posted Image

Two weeks later, on March 14, Japan issued a beautiful set of three stamps.

Posted Image

Here is a first day cover for this set:
Posted Image

A souvenir sheet was also issued, and was handed to the customer inside a blue folder.
Posted Image

This set was also available in booklet format, for 100 yen.
Posted Image

These stamps proved to be so popular that the Postal Ministry decided to issue a second set on June 15th.

Posted Image

This set was also issued in souvenir sheet format, this time in a green folder.
Posted Image

And they were issued in booklet form as well.
Posted Image

Next posting- a special set of fund-raising stamps that Japan also issued.

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,588 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info, Randy. There sure were a lot of issues.

There was a large post office at the Expo site as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,285 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Great photos Bill! In one of those interiors you shared, we can see both sets of 3 stamps and the souvenir sheets depicted on the poster hung over the counter... so the picture must be on or after June 15th.

Now for those fund-raising stamps that I mentioned. They actually came first.

On March 15, 1969, the Postal Ministry issued two stamps for the upcoming Expo. These two stamps carried a surcharge of 5 yen and 10 yen respectively.
I'm not sure whether the surcharge went to help offset the government investment in Fair infrastructure, or it simply went to charity, as is common in Japan and many other countries. I've sent an email to a couple of people who I'm sure will know the answer to this question, specifically for March '69 Expo set. I'll post the answer here when I get it.

Here are the two stamps.
Posted Image

And here they are on a first day cover
Posted Image

#4 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,285 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

I got an answer back already from Ken Kamholz of the International Society for Japanese Philately.

The basic rate of 15 yen on one stamp was the domestic letter rate at that time, and the 50 yen was the international letter rate.

The purpose of the surcharge on top of the basic rate was to raise capital for Expo costs. The Postal Ministry, in a spring 1969 new issue bulletin, estimated "If all copies are sold, the proceeds to the Exposition Association will come to 150,000,000 yen ($417,000). The total direct cost of the exposition is estimated at 812,000,000 yen ($2,257,360)."

Ken found this information in the April 1969 issue of the ISJP's journal "Japanese Philately".

Just from the Postal Ministry's estimates, it appears they were hoping to raise 18% of the Fair's costs through sales of these two postage stamps!

Ken also included some detailed information on the design of these two stamps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users