6 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

How about a long-term report on operations?

Over our last ten years we have had several software and hosting changes (and some things worked better than others).

The Early Years

Back when we started, and were called Peace Through Understanding, we were hosted by Bill Young at nywf64.com. We eventually moved to our own domain name and Canhost for web hosting. The community originally used Ultimate Bulletin Board (UBB) but we switched to Invision Power Board (IP.Board) because UBB was being discontinued. There were changes at Canhost and service quality went down. After our website was hacked we moved to United Hosting and everything was pretty good.

The Mid-2000s

Attempting to save money we switched to Site5, a budget host, and from IP.Board to the free phpBB. It ended up being a really bad decision. phpBB was unable to manage the huge number of posts on our community and those problems combined with cheap hosting led to several multi-day outages in the winter and spring of 2008.

Move to Media Temple

After much research we moved to Media Temple for hosting and back to IP.Board (and have stayed with them ever since). The whole thing was extremely disruptive to the community. Sadly, we lost members because of it.

Our last bit of badness happened in July of 2009. Because of bad backup practices on my part and unfortunate timing we had an unrecoverable data loss during a system update.

Today

Today we welcome between 3,500 to 5,000 visitors every month to the community and that number is rising. I have learned more than I ever wanted to about website operations and, thankfully, the community has been very supportive during the rough spots. You continue to support the community both by posting and by donating to the hosting fund. We also would not have made it this far without some of our members stepping up and becoming community leaders. Without the help of Bill, Randy, and Trey it would have been impossible. I am so grateful for everything.

Regards,
Marc

#2 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

Many thanks to all for such a well-run board... especially you, Marc!

As always, a special thank you to Bill Young www.nywf64.com for bringing so many of us together a decade ago. And another thank you to all who have contributed so much info and knowledge to the group.

#3 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

Marc... whatever technological bumps may have been encountered along the way... you created something in PTU/WFC which has regularly continued to enrich my life ever since I first logged on six years ago. Thank you so very much for all your efforts.

#4 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

You'll be hist-, you'll be hist-, you'll be history! (from "The Wizard of Oz")

Thanks, Marc, for everything (and all you other hard workers too!)

#5 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

In Search of Legacies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

Marc I have not checked in for a bit but love PTU. Hope all is well and thanks for all the great work.

#6 jcase

jcase

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

Marc,

Been reading, learning and appreciating for 6 years. Thanks to you for the classroom and everyone else for the wonderful lessons.

-J

#7 Expo2012

Expo2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hi Marc

Sorry to bother you but I currently own Expo2012.com and Expo2014.com.
Do you know who I should contact that would be interested in purchasing my domains?

Thank you

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users