expoboy

Final Attendance Figure

What was the pre-fair estimated attendance?

70 million was the official pre-fair estimate. Some were predicting as many as 100 million.

Population of China today: 1,338,612,000

Expo Attendance: 73,080,000

Percent Attending: 5.5%

Population of USA in 1964: 191,889,000

NYWF Attendance: 51,000,000

Percent Attending: 26.5%

I know, almost meaningless, but interesting none the less.

Percent Attending for Expo 67 would be a significantly higher number.

But both 64 and 67 should assume the sum of both populations (US & Canada),

due to ease of cross border travel.

Therefore, 2010 should include both Northeast & Southeast Asia.

This would make the difference in P.A. figures even more dramatic.

But again, the differences between the two eras make these comparisons almost meaningless.

(Yes, Expo and 67 were 1 season, NYWF 2. Yes, Americas wealthier than Asia. Etc., etc., etc.)

Just a little exercise that occurred to me, as I'm sick to death of hearing the NYWF was an attendance failure.

The comparison of percentage of ROC population attending Expo 2010 vs. the percentage of US population attending New York 1964-65 is indeed amazing.

I think the organizers predicted less than 10%. I know during my visit local Chinese far outnumbered foreigners.

If can you go by the number of Ford badges from different states that show up on ebay, the great majority of attendees were from NY and NJ

If can you go by the number of Ford badges from different states that show up on ebay, the great majority of attendees were from NY and NJ

Ford badges???

Come to think of it we have a picture or two of the demographic board at Ford that shows the distribution of those badges. That might be a pretty good indicator about where people came from, as far as overall Fair attendance.

Ford badges???

At NYWF 64-65 Ford handed out plastic glow-in-the-dark badges with your state's name molded in.

I wonder how many were repeat visitors? I've always heard that a huge percent of those 50 million in '64-65 were repeaters.

I think every world's fair attendance figures would include a great number of repeat visits. According to the book Expo 58 Between Utopia and Reality, approximately 18 million people made 41,484,412 visits to the Brussels World's Fair. The works out to an average of 2.35 visits per person.

I would wager that the percentage of repeat visitors as a subset of total fair attendance would be remarkably similar for ALL fairs.

For example, if NYWF repeats were, say, 25%, I'd bet Expo10 repeats would be around 25%.

I've no data to back that up, it's just intuition.

This article confirms what I expected - the government basically stuffed the place full to get a record attendance, even if some of the guests didn't really want to be there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/world/asia/03shanghai.html?hpw

SHANGHAI — When city officials here promised the biggest and best World Expo ever, they were not just blowing smoke, as Tao Renran and 60 co-workers at a state-run garment factory found out recently when they were asked to visit this year’s Shanghai World Expo.

That odd request, they said, quickly became a threat. “We were required to come, otherwise, they said, they would cut our wages,” the 46-year-old Ms. Tao said last week, after traveling eight hours by bus to get a one-day glimpse of the Expo. Ms. Tao and her co-workers had lots of company. According to tourism experts, state employees and government bureaucrats from virtually every part of the nation were ordered to pile onto buses, trains and planes and head to the Expo 2010 in Shanghai, this year’s singular national event, which ended on Sunday.

(Read the rest - very interesting)

Hi, the government sending busloads of people to the Expo was a poorly kept secret and one Bill Young and I mentioned as we were walking around the site. One of the reasons we mostly went in the late afternoon was because that's when the buslaods started leaving and you could feel a definite drop in the numbers after about 4:30-5:30 (although the site definitely didn't empty out.

You're correct Wayne - and Pennsylvania was probably a close third...

They had stopped giving away the glow-in-the-dark badges at the end of the '64 season, but here's a one month tally of Ford's visitor survey numbers for June 3-30, 1965 that should provide a good sampling of where the typical 1964-1965 NYWF visitors were coming from:

post-387-0-64765000-1288821826_thumb.jpg

No idea how many of them were repeat visitors though...

Cheers!

Kevin

11 Yugoslavian visitors to the Ford Pavilion. Interesting. Wasn't it virtually impossible for those living behind the Iron Curtain to travel to the US in the mid-60s. I wonder who they were?

Yugoslavia under Tito was arguably the least repressive of all the Soviet satellites.

But still, I would imagine these were some kind of "official" visitors.

Yugoslavia under Tito was arguably the least repressive of all the Soviet satellites.

But still, I would imagine these were some kind of "official" visitors.

Maybe management types from Yugo, the car with rust built in as a standard feature.

Back then was the same as today, almost all countries are represented with delegations at the United Nations in New York. They live in the area, many with their families. I imagine going out to Flushing Meadow for the World's Fair was a popular activity.

Actually maybe we spotted 2 of those 11 already in photos---- I think we saw Boris Badanov and Natasha Fatale in the waiting line at the Ford Pavilion waiting to be counted in Kevin's survey (in a topic somewhere on this board six or seven years ago).

Or maybe Boris and Natasha were from Pottsylvania. Can't remember now.

Here's that topic:

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?showtopic=404&st=0