11 replies to this topic

#1 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

I stumbled upon this website which has some amazing shots of the 1970 Exposition. I was starting to name all the buildings I thought were fascinating - only to realize that I like almost every single one of these pavilions. Very nice indeed!

http://pinktentacle....photos-expo-70/

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

There are some great shots there indeed. I've bookmarked it and will be back there to peruse in detail. Thanks for the link.

#3 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:23 PM

Good find. Brings back some great memories.

#4 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:20 AM

... I was starting to name all the buildings I thought were fascinating - only to realize that I like almost every single one of these pavilions. Very nice indeed!

http://pinktentacle....photos-expo-70/

I agree - all worth the trip - wish I could have gone.
Note that the architects had free reign, a policy which in 1964-65 was denigrated by a number of (to me) short-sighted stick-in-the-mud critics.

#5 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

Note that the architects had free reign, a policy which in 1964-65 was denigrated by a number of (to me) short-sighted stick-in-the-mud critics.

Beat me to it, Wayne. I wonder if the critics were as critical of '70 as they were of '64?

#6 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,349 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

There are a lot of people on this Board who swear that the architecture of the '39-40 NYWF was better for that very reason, because it was centrally planned in a huge elegant grandiose scheme.

Personally, I like the free-reign Jetsons stuff. Sure you get a few rat dropping pavilions, but that's the risk you take in also unlocking the great ones.

#7 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

I just wanted to chime in. Anyone interested in EXPO 70 should know that Universal Studios recently released a 5 DVD set of amazing footage of the EXPO. I think that the release was only in Japan. And it can be hard to track down. However, the footage is amazing. It all looks like it was 35mm motion picture film originated footage with awesome color! A fan of EXPO 70 would have a great time watching the 10 hours of video in the set.

#8 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Looks like Amazaon.jp has it but about $125.

#9 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

The one that I have is available on Japanese Amazon. This is it:

http://www.amazon.co...Y/ref=pd_cp_d_1

It looks like it runs around $400 on Amazon. I found it for $300 on EBAY. Either way, a very pricey DVD set. However, I doubt that you could find the footage anywhere else.

#10 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

That link didn't work - try http://www.amazon.co...&language=en_JP

At 9,600 Yen that's about $125

Google translate does an ok job with that page as well:

http://translate.goo...&language=en_JP

#11 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

I would be interested, but $125 seems ridiculous to me for something just released (rather than out-of-print).

#12 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

Yep, it is a bit pricey. Bill is actually looking at a different DVD collection that the one that I bought. And it is several hundred dollars. But, I imagine that they produced these in a very limited release. And I imagine that once they sell out it will be a very, very hard set to find.

I suspect that some of this footage may be extra B-Roll that was shot as a part of the movie Gamera vs. Jiger. I know that they shot quite a bit of the Expo site for the film. And the quality of the footage looks far better than I have seen come out of any other Expo film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users