Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nywf64.com

Upcoming trip to Expo 2010

7 posts in this topic

Just wanted to post that we're headed to Shanghai and Expo2010 ... arriving in Shanghai from Chicago on the 5th of September and will be in Shanghai and at the Expo through September 12th. If there's anyone else from the Board that might be there during the same time, please send me a quick email via the Board's Message System and let me know. We'd be interested in getting together with World's Fair fans while there. It'll be me and my wife, Rita, and friend and fellow WF enthusiast, Gary Holmes.

I'm not letting the lines and the line jumpers get to me. I'm looking forward to a fabulous experience and a great time (once I get past the 14 1/2 hour non-stop flight from O'Hare!)

Bill Young

Host, nywf64.com

You'll love it! Have a great time.

Hi, have been back since Sunday - Bill and Rita are due to arrive back tomorrow. They went on to Beijing and I had business I had to get back to, unforunately.

We had a great time. There were some minuses, but they were outweighed by all the great plusses! A definite plus was meeting Gary Miller for lunch on Friday at the Swiss Pavilion!

Tips, etc.

1. We decided to go to Expo later in the day and stay until the place shut down. The lines at night were usually a fraction of the daytime waits, except at the really "hot" pavilions. First day we got into Shanghai, Bill and I went to the Expo at 7:30 P.M. and had a great initial tour of the fair. There was only one day we went in at 10 A,M, Otherwise our arrival times at the fair ranged between noon and 3 P.M. I went a total of 6 days, including the first night - Bill went 7!

2, We did sections all at once - we did not even try to run back and forth through the site. It was just too big. We did use the subway a lot - we liked being dropped off right in the middle of the Expo.

3. Waits were usually at least an hour less than what was posted. The most I waited was 1 1/2 hours for Germany. Three paviliosn were about an hour. The most we waited at the others was 15 to 30 minutes, if there was a wait at all! However, this did mean I did not see China or the Saudi pavilion, which were basically the only two I was sorry I missed. Bill was going to try to see the Saudi pavilion on his last day in Shanghai - hopefully he'll report on it!

4. The industrial section has some of the best shows. And the theme pavilions were fabulous - and very underattended. Some pavilions were major disappointments (for me, the USA and exhibit at Singapore - especially after Singapore's great exhibit at Aichi)- and there were pavilions that were truly nothing but bars and stores, Cuba chief among them (although Bill loved the mojitos there and therefore gave it a rave review!) Then there were some terrific smaller pavilions - Chile, Morocco, Mexico. While North Korea is not much, it is a must. Bill insisted on getting his picture in front of a picture of "dear Leader", but we could only find a book in the gift area with picture on it! In the international pavilions, I was particularly impressed with Italy. And I liked Norway and Finland, too. They were simple but well done.

Anyway, instead of innumerable pics of the fair that you can see elsewhere, here are a few select pics of Bill and Rita, and some less photographed locales:

Bill walking past the very utilitarian, very undesigned bathrooms.

post-63-061787600 1284553287_thumb.jpg

Bill and Rita watching a film at the Oman Pavilion - I like this shot a lot.

post-63-098782600 1284553317_thumb.jpg

A restaurant at the Expo!

post-63-057765700 1284553269_thumb.jpg

Bill and Rita entering expo - you can see the housing development just waiting for Expo to close so it can expand into the site:

post-63-020613200 1284553351_thumb.jpg

Italy had a gorgeous building and exhibits. Here is a fave of mine:

post-63-093332400 1284553244_thumb.jpg

The Expo design in small matters was very utilitarian - for instance:

post-63-012333000 1284553232_thumb.jpg

And there were crowds, but not everywhere. here is a lone walker on the ground floor of the 'axis building'

post-63-067660900 1284553257_thumb.jpg

AND - we went all through Shanghai, as well. At the top of the World Financial Center tower - the tallest in China, I believe, we found an exhibit on other expos. Here is Bill standing in front of the New York 6465 panel, with Shanghai in the background.

post-63-073991300 1284553374_thumb.jpg

I have hundreds of pictures, which I will eventually put on my flickr site. News as it happens.

AND - we went all through Shanghai, as well. At the top of the World Financial Center tower - the tallest in China, I believe, we found an exhibit on other expos. Here is Bill standing in front of the New York 6465 panel, with Shanghai in the background.

post-63-073991300 1284553374_thumb.jpg

I have hundreds of pictures, which I will eventually put on my flickr site. News as it happens.

Interesting that they didn't leave out that unsanctioned thing in NY.

Hey, that was fun, Gary, thanks for posting those. Meeting up with Gary Miller was nifty, too. I didn't know he was going. Tell us a bit more about when you all decided to meet, and how you picked the restaurant.

Hi Doug, it was quite simple. Bill and GAry agreed we would meet at the French Pavilion at noon on Friday - it was Gary's first full day in Shanghai. The original plan was to make arrangements to have dinner together at the French Pav Restaurant, but they were full up for dinner and lunch, so we walked next door to the Swiss Pavilion - also full inside, but had plenty of tables on the outdoor patio - so we decided to eat right then and there and had a great lunch - and even better, lots of great conversation. I believe Gary was going to try to get into the China Pavilion by doing the early A.M. wait. But hopefully he will report on his return.

Hey Gary:

Good stuff.

Tell Bill to get his self over here and give a report also!

Mike K