Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

Democracity 2039

Hi All,

There is no Democracity thread so I have good reason to start one. I just picked this up :rolleyes: 20 years and I have seen 2 with one being in Gelertner's book. Not only scarce, but a good composition. For the daytime portion of this 6 minute show, I have 2 killer candids, 2 awesome negatives, and I have sold 1 U&U print and 2 b/w snaps. I own abt 3 others all blurry and that's all folks. I encourage all others with Democracity photographs to share them here with watermarks etc. I don't care. I know three of you have images at least.

post-434-001384800 1278628253_thumb.jpg \

Best wishes,

Eric

Dear Bill,

Many thanks. Top image - excellent vantage. Bottom image is darn near the same angle of mine - may I prepare a day/night version - side by side? I attach two more here - the first is a low res/poor scan from one of my negatives and the other I restored for the National Building Museum book. The other print I have and the other negative are probably better images still, but I have never scanned or exposed them. Yet.

Best,

Eric

post-434-047818700 1278648969_thumb.jpg

post-434-080416500 1278648987_thumb.jpg

Dear Bill,

Thank you. After a little cropping here we go - pretty close and the first night/day comparison I have seen actually. All of the ones we posted are very nice - I am at a loss for a favorite! Look at me - no visible watermark ;)

post-434-052572400 1278660810_thumb.jpg

Democracity day and night portions photographed from the same angle, collections of Bill and Eric :)

Best,

Eric

Wow - the roads seem self-luminous - wonder if that effect was intended or only a side effect of making them visible in the night mode?

Hi Wayne,

It was intended. The effect was achieved with paint which reacted to ultra-violet light which I guess came from under the balconies? The roads would have to be deliberately painted or we would not see them - there are plenty not illuminated - only the main arteries are lit. This display was said to very hard to photograph, and of course while moving etc. This was a staged shot created with "much difficulty" from the information on the reverse. I expect the curvature of the earth effect was much more realistic during the night portion, and I believe the whole thing probably looked much more realistic.

Best wishes,

Eric

Hi Wayne,

It was intended. The effect was achieved with paint which reacted to ultra-violet light which I guess came from under the balconies? The roads would have to be deliberately painted or we would not see them - there are plenty not illuminated - only the main arteries are lit. This display was said to very hard to photograph, and of course while moving etc. This was a staged shot created with "much difficulty" from the information on the reverse. I expect the curvature of the earth effect was much more realistic during the night portion, and I believe the whole thing probably looked much more realistic.

Best wishes,

Eric

Thanks - UV light and fluorescent paint explains a lot about the appearance.

Hi Wayne,

I wonder what the color or colors were! Anyone have any idea???? I would love to make a tint.

Best,

Eric

One of the most common and earliest developed colors would be a pale green, like "glow in the dark" toys or luminous watch dials. But really, there could have been many colors. Would be nice to find someone who knows.

Doesn't the NYC Panorama currently use such an effect to some degree? Last I was there though (2-3 yrs ago?), the diurnal cycle was not running.

Kenner, I think, sold a bottle of pale green glow paint in the late 60s. I would mask a clear plastic box into tiny windows then paint the inside with the glow paint, glue it to a board with a bunch of others, voila, a miniature city nightscape.

Are we sure the roads were reflecting light or luminescing?

I'm just guessing here but there probably was not an age of miracles back in 1939, so I would wager the possible colors were confined to pale green or pale violet.

Has anyone been to a bowling alley lately? They do this wacky black light game that looks pretty exotic.

A letter to the editor of Life printed July 24, 1939, from a Mr. Alexander Strobl, indicates that his Stroblite Fluorescent Colors (note plural) were used in Democracity.

LIFE - Jul 24, 1939 - Google Books Result

Vol. 7, No. 4 - 76 pages - Magazine

Dear Wayne,

Wow! Thanks much!!! It must have been incredibly[/i[ beautiful. I wish there were some postcards that show it. The only thing I have seen is the the vignette on the ESC/Grinnell fold out packet and that is daytime. In the large embossed Grinnell litho souvenir book (I bought my first from Kenny) also has a superb image - but daytime again. And of course the program Your World of Tomorrow. I always pictured the greens and maybe some purplish colors at best. I suppose it really was difficult to photograph as the back of my new image says. I received it today - SHARP! Once the scanner is playing nice I will show more :) Thanks again very much for this info!

Best,

Eric

Dear Wayne,

Wow! Thanks much!!! It must have been incredibly[/i[ beautiful. I wish there were some postcards that show it. The only thing I have seen is the the vignette on the ESC/Grinnell fold out packet and that is daytime. In the large embossed Grinnell litho souvenir book (I bought my first from Kenny) also has a superb image - but daytime again. And of course the program Your World of Tomorrow. I always pictured the greens and maybe some purplish colors at best. I suppose it really was difficult to photograph as the back of my new image says. I received it today - SHARP! Once the scanner is playing nice I will show more :) Thanks again very much for this info!

Best,

Eric

My guess is that photographs usually picked up the blacklight more than the fluorescent items - probably requiring panchromatic or orthochromatic film and a yellow filter, plus a long time exposure, to get the result you see.

My guess is that photographs usually picked up the blacklight more than the fluorescent items - probably requiring panchromatic or orthochromatic film and a yellow filter, plus a long time exposure, to get the result you see.

So certainly then the "ride" was stopped for this photograph. I wish In knew where to star with a color tint.

Best,

Eric

Hi Bill,

unusual angle, but why night? Look at the night photos at the start of the thread? They look very different.

Best,

Eric

OOOOOH! :( I am sorry. I said it. I misread and thought I saw "night shot" - not "new shot". My apologies. It was wishful thinking...a color slide...

How was the book signing?

Best wishes,

Eric

No problem.

The book signing? A complete disaster. There's a thread on it here. Trust me, don't ever agree to a book signing at a Costco.