lemog

Oldsmobile Toronado X-70

I found a car on Ebay for sale, the X70 Toronada, it seem that car was made or ordered for the expo...

anybody know if this car was on the Expo 67 or not ?

Ebay link :

http://cgi.ebay.com/...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

x70_toronado_01.jpg

x70_toronado_02.jpg

x70_toronado_03.jpg

x70_toronado_04.jpg

x70_toronado_05.jpg

x70_toronado_06.jpg

History :

To celebrate Canada's centenary at Expo 67, Imperial Oil Canada (Esso) commissioned four custom-built 1967 Oldsmobile Toronados from George Barris of Hollywood.

Imperial Oil wanted a car that looked futuristic but retained an identity of the times.

The Toronado was the first front- wheel-drive American car built since the 1937 Cord. Since the body was going to be lengthened by 38 centimetres, a front-wheel-drive car would reduce the mechanical fabrication. The added length provided a spacious interior that included swivel front seats that could face the rear wrap-around lounge seat. The extended front and rear bumpers gave the car a pointed look. The oversize raised wheel wells added a certain futuristic allure.

"We "BARRIS-Designed-and-Built..." a vehicle which was indeed known as the "70-X, Toronado" and I creaded (also) four (4) other renditions = for a total of FIVE (5) which held the 'exclusive' distiction of being " The BARRIS Original(s)..."

3455 North Lindbergh Blvd

St. Louis, MO 63074

That was the peak of my childhood motorhead days. I remember the Toronado as exceptional back then and recall building the 1/24th model. If this car was even remotely publicized I would have been all over it. I sent a few days at Expo 67. It is not familiar to me at all.

Hehe... the new challenge is now to find photos wink.gif

...in any case, I really appreciate the design of this car !

my first car was also of 1967... but very less fun huh.gif :

simca1100bluefr.jpg

biggrin.gif

You had a Studebaker? They weren't sold in the U.S. any more by the time of Expo 67, but I've heard they continued in Canada until about that time.

Interesting vehicle but they sure did not think much about safety in 1967. While that back seat looks much like a booth in a Vegas lounge and is creative and cool, I would hate to be sitting there when that car hits a utility pole or is rear-ended by a tractor trailer.

Wow, what a beautiful machine! If the Expo link is true it would be pretty neat to own something so cool-looking (if lacking in the safety department ;) ) that has both World's Fair AND George (Batmobile) Barris connections!

my first car was also of 1967... but very less fun

Not to get too far off the subject, but my first car was a '67 as well...

post-387-127774912604_thumb.jpg

circa 1982

I had a lot of good times (and a few not so pleasant ones) with that car!

I prefer your car Yadda Yadda biggrin.gif

Well... back to the topic now rolleyes.gif

and I think to also this one...

alfa_romeo_1967.jpg

This another creation was very much present, and what would be the perfect symbol of the car. This summary should be in this project led by Orazio Satta Puliga, Head of the Projects and Studies Alfa Romeo, whose style was given to Bertone, Alfa Romeo coupe-Montreal, the name of the expo of 1967 .

This car was shown in the Italian pavilion which have "Conquest of Man" as theme !

Final version was presented at the Geneva Motor Show 1970, date of production start, which was stopped in 1977.

alfa_romeo_2_1967.jpg

A guest tried posting this and it ended up in the wrong spot.

esso-67-x.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

By: Mike Goetz For Metro, Published on Tue Jul 07 2015

Just like the country it was built to celebrate, the custom car known as the Esso 67-X is big, bold and beautiful.

Back in 1967, Canada was gripped in centennial fever. Everything was about celebrating or marking the 100th anniversary of Canadian federation.

For its part, Imperial Oil and its Esso brand of gas stations, rolled out a promotional contest called Roadshow 67. To enter, you had to collect five different “travel tips” only available at Esso dealers.

The four winners of the contest each received a fabulous Esso 67-X, complete with insurance, and extra warranties. Winners would be awarded their cars at the big centennial party and World’s Fair in Montreal, otherwise known as Expo 67.

George Barris was commissioned to design the 67-X and build four examples. Barris achieved worldwide fame as a customizer after creating “TV star cars,” such as the Batmobile, the Munster Koach, and the jalopy that brought the Beverly Hillbillies into town.

Barris ended up making an additional 67-X for himself, to use as a tow car.

The basis of the 67-X is an Oldsmobile Toronado, complete with its 7-litre V8 engine, good for 385 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque.

The 67-X was billed as the “ultimate in family travel,” with emphasis on excitement, safety and comfort.

After the outrageously swoopy body, which stretches more than 20 feet in length, the most notable feature of the 67-X is the rear “lounge area,” which is essentially a small family room, circa 1967. “Mom” can swivel her seat around to play Monopoly with the kids on the lift-up table, and everyone can grab Twinkies from the portable picnic cooler, and groove to The Monkees on the 8-track tape player (complete with individual ear plugs).

Trevor Welfen of Chilliwack, B.C., owns the only known surviving Esso 67-X. He is old enough to remember the contest. As an avid collector and customizer of cool cars, he “always wondered what happened to them.” He heard stories, read newspaper clippings about the people that won them and subsequently sold them, searched the Internet, etc., to no avail.

Then, several years ago, when looking for another model on the website of a U.S. classic car dealer, he noticed a 67-X in the background in one of the pictures. The dealer mislabelled it as a 70-X, and that’s why it never showed up on any Google search.

“As soon as I saw it, I just wanted to get it back here ... I didn’t care what shape it was in.”

By “back here” Trevor means Canada, where he believes this super rare and super cool example of Canadian car culture belongs.

I found a car on Ebay for sale, the X70 Toronada, it seem that car was made or ordered for the expo...

anybody know if this car was on the Expo 67 or not ?

Ebay link :

http://cgi.ebay.com/...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

x70_toronado_01.jpg

x70_toronado_02.jpg

x70_toronado_03.jpg

x70_toronado_04.jpg

x70_toronado_05.jpg

x70_toronado_06.jpg

History :

To celebrate Canada's centenary at Expo 67, Imperial Oil Canada (Esso) commissioned four custom-built 1967 Oldsmobile Toronados from George Barris of Hollywood.

Imperial Oil wanted a car that looked futuristic but retained an identity of the times.

The Toronado was the first front- wheel-drive American car built since the 1937 Cord. Since the body was going to be lengthened by 38 centimetres, a front-wheel-drive car would reduce the mechanical fabrication. The added length provided a spacious interior that included swivel front seats that could face the rear wrap-around lounge seat. The extended front and rear bumpers gave the car a pointed look. The oversize raised wheel wells added a certain futuristic allure.

"We "BARRIS-Designed-and-Built..." a vehicle which was indeed known as the "70-X, Toronado" and I creaded (also) four (4) other renditions = for a total of FIVE (5) which held the 'exclusive' distiction of being " The BARRIS Original(s)..."

3455 North Lindbergh Blvd

St. Louis, MO 63074

I saw the one you saw on the web when found in a storage closet or about to be stored in one. From the picture I saw this Old's Toronado 67X is in pretty rough shape. The owner wants to sale or has by now to someone with very deep pockets and can have the Esso 67X completely restored to the Toronado 67X former beauty. I still have not come across where this beauty has been park and forgotten and left to rot. That seems to be the story of show cars. Once they out live their usage they're tossed to the curb and forgotten. (That' cars, motorcycles, trucks, boats,etc.)