• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

I am here in Shanghai to help co-ordinate an important 6 month exhibition at the Shanghai Sculpture park on the history of Expos with an emphasis on the fairs had a major Chinese presentation. Naturally the St. Louis Fair will be highlighted since it was China's 1st official presentation at a world expo. Prince Pu Lun was the first Chinese royality to visit the US, he celebrated his 35th birthday while he was in St. Louis and a piece of music "Prince Pu Lun Triumphal March" was written by St. Louis professor Charles Kunkel. They have a big focus on vocal and sound and are using technology that was invented here in China which will have it's world debut at the exhibition. My job is to make sure that historical fact and images are correct. The Chinese mind works differently then the western mind, and sometimes I hit a road block. There have been many books written about the history of the Expo in China. I wrote the book on the 1853 NY Crystal Palace, a passion of mine. "The Lost History of the 1853 New York Crystal Palace - America's First World's Fair". I picked up one of the Chinese history books on expos and naturally i looked up the chapter on the 1853 NYcp and to my horror they had the wrong picture. My job right now is to locate music that is associated with expos- meet me at St. Louis, Louis, its a small world, elvis it happened at the world's fair, and scott joplin "The Cascades" rag written for the st. Louis fair are some that I have. I know that there were jingles written. I have only begun my research, and some suggestions would be appreciated. Can anyone locate the the original sheet music for Prince Pu Lun's march?. The guide books were released last saturday but I am having a hard time locating a copy in english. they will be 3.00 us and will be printed in Chinese, english, korean, japanese and French. Anyone who could hook me up here in shanghai , i will bring back copies. It's just that I am sooo busy I have no time to look.By the way the exhibit on expo will be on 2 floors. On the first floor Jimmy Chiang (Carnival) and his involvemnet in the the NYWF and Oksa with a display of souvenirs and images , slides and movies. Jimmy has been named "Father of the Expo" and I met him when he found out I wrote a manuscript on China's World Expo history. The second floor will have the expo exhibit. I am staying with him as his guest while I am here for the month of april working on the exhibit. I was here for a month in January. The shanghai Sculpture Park is a must if you are coming to visit the expo. It is an incredible place, plus it is a world's fair adventure apart from the expo while you are here. Shanghai is a beautiful city and I love it. Thanks for your help and I am trying to keep this exhibition true to history.

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,573 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

Hi, Ed. I just got home from a crazy trip so am just catching up on messages. I know how much you were looking forward to this trip and I'm glad it's working out for you. I'm sure you'll have some great stories to share when you get back.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users