Here is a strange story.

Guyana takes a parrot to Expo 67 because the parrot can speak bilingually- in French and English.

On Opening Day, the parrot cuts loose with a string of swearing in both languages that would make a sailor blush, and won't stop.

People guess that maybe the parrot picked it up listening to construction workers as the pavilion was being built. But Guyana has a lot of French and English speakers too, not just Quebec.

The pavilion's staff and the Guyana ambassador to Canada were understandably embarassed, and Millie got deported immediately. Nobody thought we'd ever hear about Millie again.

But the following November, Guyana issued their postage stamps for Christmas. And who should appear? Not the Virgin Mary, or Santa Claus, but Millie the Cussing Parrot !!

Mi.294_Sc.33.jpg

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

This AP wire service article appeared on November 12, 1967, in the Sarasota, Florida Herald-Tribune.

Guyana_article.jpg

These postage stamps don't appear on most Expo 67 lists, because they are officially "Christmas stamps". I just happened to find them by running a search in Michel's database using the filters Weltausstellung and 1967. The Scott catalog describes the species as a Macaw.

Only when I spent about an hour doing some google searches did I find out a bit about the story of "Millie the cussing parrot". Until then I was wondering if this was an audioanimatronic parrot, like the tiki birds in Disneyland. I guess not, unless a computer programmer had a devilish streak. :)

No, this is not an early April 1st hoax. :P

What will be Shanghai's equivalent this summer to the 'Millie the parrot scandal' ?

Here is the full set of four postage stamps.

Guyana_stamps.jpg

The first two (5 value with green background and 25 value with purple background) were issued November 6th, 1967 and then the two stamps were reissued in different colors on January 22nd, 1968. So apparently the controversy didn't bother the GPO at all.

With all of the difficulties the world faces (and was facing in 1967) it astounds me that the Catholic Church would find time to object to putting a bilingual parrot on a postage stamp. Regardless of the parrot's colorful language, the whole issue is so foolish. I was born, raised and educated as a Catholic. I suppose I have reached the point where I believe if the Church had spent more time living up to their own moral standards and less time worrying about a talking parrot, some of the horror stories of the past few months and years might have been prevented. I apologize if this statement is too political but this is my reaction to seeing these posts, the parrot and hearing the news coming out of Ireland and Germany in the past few weeks.

The parrot didn't care. She wasn't catholic. :D

It would be interesting to find out whatever happened to Millie. Parrots and macaws can live a really long time.

That is true. I remember a news story just a year or so ago about Winston Churchill's parrot which is still very much alive. I am not sure where it is living but what really struck me is that the parrot is still cursing Hitler and Mussolini! Now, that's cool.

I had not see the update on that story. I thought it was true and I wish that it was.

Now that we have a lot of Expo 67 regulars here, I thought I'd resurrect this topic.

Any new information about Millie?

It would be nice to see a photo of her at the Expo before she got 'deported'.

I think one of the blue ones is Millie. The red one must be one of her sisters or brothers. :-) In anycase, the pics are from where Millie would have been "talking".

I think the birds used foul language after getting a bit tipsy. Maybe the patrons used to buy them drinks(?)! You can see the birds in the background (portion of the birds in upper portion of the pic).

guyana_3.png