#1 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Posted Image

Don't you think these kids would agree? Not only are they wearing buttons to mark their attendance at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, but the cotton candy looks great! This is part of what I enjoy about the fairs. The major pavilions and shows are fun, of course, but sometimes it's the simple things that make the day special.

By the way, the vending machines behind them were a big deal at the 1962 Fair. Being able to buy a meal, especially a hot one, from a machine was something new, and the Fair organizers made a big thing out of it. Personally I prefer freshly prepared food to something that has been sitting there for hours, but some people seem to prefer speed over quality. These snack bars must have been heaven to them.

#2 Don Cavaioli

Don Cavaioli

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

The novelty of the new 'pushbutton age'. A less cynical time when people were still fascinated by futuristic machines.

#3 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hey Bill, would you happen to have an image of those badges?

#4 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

Posted Image

#5 Irv Gleaner

Irv Gleaner

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:44 AM

Blue jeans (dungarees as they were called then) weren't all that common back in the 60's, and were rarely seen in any of these old photos.

So it's surprising that both these boys are wearing them here.

Also, think of how time has flown - both of these kids are now in their mid fifties and are approaching retirement age.

#6 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:06 AM

Oh, jeans- or dungarees- were very popular in the 60's and my brothers and I wore them to school all the time. We weren't allowed to wear them to church though. And it's been discussed many times on this board how, in so many World's Fair photos, it looks like parents made their kids dress as if they were going to church.

This particular picture brings two recollections to mind.

1. The rolled up cuffs at the bottom of the jeans. This was so you could 'grow into them'. Either they were bought big, or they were a hand-me-down from an older sibling. In this case it looks like BOTH the boys have rolled up cuffs.

2. I'm guessing that underneath the knees on the jeans of both these boys, mom has applied one of those 'iron-on patches' to stiffen the material for wear. Sometimes used also to patch holes.
Looks like it's none too late- the younger of the two is already working on a hole in the knee of one leg. :D
The knees of the jeans on both these kids look so stiff that today you might guess they're wearing soccer shin guards. But back then it was probably those iron-on patches applied to the underside of the material.

Remember when it was the style to button your shirt all the way up to your adam's apple?
This was before it became the sign of a nerd or dufus. :)

#7 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:04 PM

I agree with Randy - Mom and Dad weren't going to buy a lot of good pants for these boys (except for places like church) until they stopped wearing holes in the knees. By the way, what is all that stuff in the man's shirt pockets?

#8 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

Glasses in his right pocket, sun glasses in his left.

#9 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Here's another shot of the kids enjoying themselves at Century 21. This was at Chun King, which was busy introducing Chinese food to the American masses.

Posted Image

I wonder if there are any Chung King restaurants anywhere today?

#10 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

Anyone know the name of this ride?

Posted Image

#11 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

If Chun King didn't refurbish the same rickshaw for use two years later in New York, it sure is darn close.

#12 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

I don't think they're the same one, Randy. On this one the front poles look like they're attached under the area for the riders feet. In NY they attach on the sides. NY also had a striped canopy, although that was probably easily interchanged. The whole pulling mechanism just looks different to me.

#13 kpsz1

kpsz1

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:24 AM

The ride is "The Whip"

Here is a newer version at Cedar Point

http://www.cedarpoin...n/roto_whip.cfm

and mentioned here in "Rides of 1960"

http://www.personal....3/ride1960.html

#14 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

Thanks. I remember riding those as a kid. The map in the guidebook doesn't show a Whip entry; anyone know what they might have called it in Seattle?

#15 kpsz1

kpsz1

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

I believe it was called the Space Whirl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users