NYWF64-65

U.S. Royal Tire Ferris Wheel Toy

I have just bought a U.S. Royal Ferris Wheel toy off of ebay. I was just wondering if anybody knew where I can get a replacement red gondola and all the little red people. Thanks. -NYWF64-65

Those are commonly missing items. I have never seen them offered for sale individually.

But these ferris wheel toys are not uncommon. It might be easiest to just search for and acquire a second set with "most" of the gondolas and people, and between the two of them use the parts to put together a complete set.

There was a place offering replacement parts like this a few years ago. I don't have one of the Giant Tires so I didn't bookmark it, but I do recall they were selling gondolas and people. I have no clue as to how good the copies were. I remember it striking me as a niche product to say the least, which is why I was so surprised to see it.

Thanks, I'll keep looking for any replacements. By the way Bill, do you remember what the name was of the website? Thanks guys. -NYWF64-65

Thanks anyway Bill. Oh, before I forget, did you get that email about the model of the Tower of Four Winds @ Disney World? -NYWF64-65

Yes, I've seen the model down at Walt Disney World. It's nice but I want to see them rebuild the real one! In answer to your question, there was a VIP lounge on the tower but not a public observation level.

Thanks, I was wondering how Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs got up their. Now I know. -NYWF64-65

Hi all. I have 2 of the Ferris Wheel toys and neither work. Anybody have any repair ideas? I am thinking that they both need motors, as the wires appear to be intact. Might have gondolas available if I can get one of these going

Thanks

Ed

You might check the contact points in the battery compartment for corrosion- a common occurance. You could also try some jumper wires directly from new batteries to the contacts on the motor to see if you get any response.

Thanks Randy. Tried jumpers from a new battery to the contacts, and even the rivets that go from the contacts to the wires attached to the motor. Nothing yet. Have not got the plate that covers the motor off as of now. Ideal used rivets so it tough. Just getting inside the battery section, a small break occured around the rivet holding it to the base plastic. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that next.

Ed

Just getting inside the battery section, a small break occured around the rivet holding it to the base plastic.

Depending on how it was stored over the years, sometimes the plastic has become extremely brittle. In such a case, even if you get it going you might soon have internal plastic pieces cracking and snapping pretty soon simply from the mechanical stress of the gearing. If you DO get it going, you might want to find those internal gears and add some lubrication- that would help reduce the stress on both the plastic and the motor a bit.

If you can get into that motor compartment and take a look at the motor itself, you might be able to find a suitable replacement motor.

If you want to really make a project out of it, you could try to jerry-rig an AC adapter to it and run it off wall current.

I was lucky- when I got my U.S. Royal Ferris Wheel toy a few years ago on eBay, it ran the first time I put in batteries. But I only tried it once or twice since then- don't want to press my luck.

Somebody (Mike?) a few years ago noted how many gondolas are missing from these 45 year-old toys when you get them, and how it wouldn't be too hard to replace a gondola using the method that after-market folks use today- by making a mold of it to cast them in resin. Somebody could do a production run of hundreds of them, paint them red, and offer them by the half-dozen on ebay for a tidy little killing. :)

Someone was selling gondolas and people for the ride about 3-4 years ago. I didn't bookmark it as I don't have one in my collection, but a search might turn it up.

Hi all. I have 2 of the Ferris Wheel toys and neither work. Anybody have any repair ideas? I am thinking that they both need motors, as the wires appear to be intact. Might have gondolas available if I can get one of these going

Thanks

Ed

I dont know if you have tried "kick starting" it with a screwdriver on the gears?

Just north of the battery compartment there is a square hole with the gears exposed. Stick a small flat bladed screwdriver through the hole and give the gears a bit of a nudge. It worked for mine.

P.S. I need 1 new gondola too.

That's exactly how I got mine moving a bunch of years ago - I cleaned the battery box - put in brand new batteries and, as I held the switch on, I nudged the gears - darn thing started right up and has worked great ever since - I try to remember to run it for a few seconds every month just to keep it in shape - I am lucky enough to have all of my gondolas but am missing the people and the little sign from the top of the building :(

This is the same way I got old Major Matt Mason vehicles to work after many...many years of storage - they run great two...now.

No major surgery or rewiring just a nudge to wake them up.

On 1/24/2010 at 9:42 AM, NYWF64-65 said:

I have just bought a U.S. Royal Ferris Wheel toy off of ebay. I was just wondering if anybody knew where I can get a replacement red gondola and all the little red people. Thanks. -NYWF64-65

I sell replacement 3D printed gondolas now. You can find my listing on eBay.

On 8/8/2010 at 6:15 PM, edkone said:

Thanks

Ed

I have been successful fixing these. I am now 4 for 4. I'm still working out how much to charge as a service, but if you are interested, shoot me a message.

On 8/11/2010 at 3:50 PM, Yessongs said:

I am lucky enough to have all of my gondolas but am missing the people and the little sign from the top of the building :(

I have 3D printed signs on eBay too.