NYWF64-65

Kodak pavillion model

Does anyone have, or know where I can get a press model of the Kodak Pavillion. I saw one in the Queens Museum showcase and immediately wanted one for myself. Please give me any info. Thanks.

-NYWF64-65

Thanks so much for the link. -NYWF64-65

Yeah, I heard about that. Here's a picture from my trip to the exhibit at the Queen's Museum. If you look at the top right, you'll see the retailer's model of the pavilion. Enjoy! -NYWF64-65.

post-4704-126434997297_thumb.jpg

Hello Everyone:

I know that this thread was last posted to over seven years ago, but the other day, I came across one of the original Kodak Pavilion models that was available for sale on a website that deals in high-end merchandise and artwork.  It appears that the original model was made by a company called Displaymasters, Inc. of Edgewater, NJ.  It was stated in the description that very few of these had been made, but the actual number is unknown.  The example that was available for sale was in perfect condition-- the size of it was shown as being 24" long, 14" wide, and 6 1/2" tall.  The price you might ask? It was being offered at $7,750.00.  I would love to own one, but there is no way that I feel the model would be worth that much.  It is rare, but considering it was originally offered up as a display for Kodak dealers to purchase and show in their stores to stir up interest in Kodak's participation at the NYWF, I feel a much more realistic price would be in the $1500-$2000.00 range.  How do you fellow NYWF collectors feel about it?

Ronald

PS: In the photo above that shows one of the Kodak Pavilion models on display at the Queens Museum, is the touchtone phone in the photo one of those actually displayed at the Bell Pavilion? And is the IBM typewriter one of the original demonstration models that people could play around with at the IBM pavilion?  The photo is a bit out of focus, so I can't read the descriptions shown in front of the objects in the photo. 

• Like 1

I would agree with you on the model pricing. It would be interesting to know how many were produced.

The Touch-Tone phone supposedly was used at the Fair; no clue as to the typewriter.

oh my goodness.  I got really excited because Displaymasters is one of the early acquisitions my company.  First the division of Exhibitgroup Giltspur and then GES. See I am also a self appointed historian of my corporation GES.  I even have a blog to try and preserve the many companies that helped to form us.  Kodak was a long time client of ours.

I would die to own that model but 7k is really steep. I mean really steep but it is work of art. You see the design work that goes into building exhibits is beautiful. Not only must it sell itself to the client but it must capture the client for the customer.

But isn't' that what WF exhibits were remember for and admired to this day.  Thanx guys

• Like 1

I'm sure this link will go dead way before this thread goes away, but since found it (March 2017) here it is.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/collectibles-curiosities/architectural-models/1964-new-york-worlds-fair-kodak-pavilion-architectural-model/id-f_4369353/?utm_content=test&gclid=CP3y7ci429ICFVuBswod3u0O8w

Capture.JPG

12 hours ago, Batgurrl said:

oh my goodness.  I got really excited because Displaymasters is one of the early acquisitions my company.  First the division of Exhibitgroup Giltspur and then GES. See I am also a self appointed historian of my corporation GES.  I even have a blog to try and preserve the many companies that helped to form us.  Kodak was a long time client of ours.

I would die to own that model but 7k is really steep. I mean really steep but it is work of art. You see the design work that goes into building exhibits is beautiful. Not only must it sell itself to the client but it must capture the client for the customer.

But isn't' that what WF exhibits were remember for and admired to this day.  Thanx guys

Can we have a link to the blog?

My mother and father attended the 1964 New York Worlds Fair. Dad was quite the shutter bug and invested in the ultimate souvenir. Dad passed away over 4 years ago and I just found this gem in a closet under the stairs. I was wondering if anyone here is still interested in having one of these for their very own.

Kodax.thumb.jpg.e66a8b280aaa1da3106b4b28ae954b9d.jpg

Well, that's a very nice find indeed. What did you have in mind for it?

It's interesting to see they used some of the photos actually used on the real pavilion!

• Like 1

That is one astounding discovery.  Be very cautious about parting with it.  It's a gem.

• Like 2

I'm sure a lot of people (me included) would like to have it for free. You really need to put a price on it.

This is difficult, but I believe that $1,200 plus shipping is a fair price for an item this rare. I have seen only 2 on the net; one in a museum and the other being auctioned for over $7,000,

Definitely a fair price. For me...I'm in a tight spot, financially, right now so no go but surely someone else will grab that up.

I think this is a fair price also. But it would be the second largest single hobby expenditure I have ever made, so like Jack Benny, "I'm thinking!"

Edit: I think there's also some consideration of its preservation beyond the life of a current purchaser, but that is really hard to figure out.