The Timexpo: The Timex Group Museum located in Waterbury, CT is planning a special event featuring the World's Fair and the influence/relationship sometime in the early summer of 2010. We are currently researching any information concerning Timex. Timex (under the name Waterbury Clock @ the time) was at the 1933/34 Chicago's World Fair launching a line of Mickey Mouse watches. They were so popular that an employee at the fair quoted that "Nobody went home without a Mickey Mouse watch for their kids." We also heard, but not verified, that at the NYWF in the 1960s Timex watches were put into a time capsule. I'm asking anyone for any information or images of Timex at World Fairs. Knowing that the World Fairs have been in existence for a long time I'm also listing the various company names that Timex has been know for: Waterbury Clock, Ingersoll (or Ingersoll & Brothers), U.S. Time Corporation, and lastly Timex. Your knowledge and expertise on the subject would be much helpful.

I know those Mickey Mouse Watches are a very rare find from the Exposition, and worth a bit in todays world. Regarding the Time Capsules, they could have very well been included in the 1964 edition of the capsule. It was not in the 1939 edition because the Elgin company participated right down the street from Westinghouse's location, and donated one of their watches.

This photo of the '64-65 capsule includes something labeled 'electronic watch', but doesn't reveal the brand name.

It was a Bulova Accutron. The specific model was the Astronaut, IIRC. I know we have discussed this before and I made a presentation on the Accutron-Fair connection at SIP I.

It was a Bulova Accutron. The specific model was the Astronaut, IIRC. I know we have discussed this before and I made a presentation on the Accutron-Fair connection at SIP I.

Here's the link to the discussion on this topic from 2006: Westinghouse Capsules.

I laugh a bit at the irony of seeing the "Pocket Radiation Detector" "Graphite from First Nuclear Reactor", "Calder Hall Film", and the "Carbon 14" sample among the list of included items.

Here's the link to the discussion on this topic from 2006: Westinghouse Capsules.

The watch shown in this Westinghouse press photo does indeed appear to be a Bulova Accutron Astronaut...

post-387-126392648583_thumb.jpg post-387-126392649818_thumb.jpg

So which watch did they actually put into the time capsule?

I guess there's only one way to find out! :D

So which watch did they actually put into the time capsule?

I guess there's only one way to find out! :D

Only if you're wearing a watch that tells you that the required 5,000 years has gone by (or whatever the crazy time period was). :)

In wonder in just 100 years how hard it will be to find a device to play that Beatles record.

...or the film and chemicals to develop a Polaroid photograph...or batteries for the transistor radio and electric toothbrush...or matches to light the cigarettes....

It is incredible how dated all of those 1964 contents appear. Look at the size of that computer memory unit (and the bikini bathing suit for that matter!).