Sign in to follow this  
Joey Chernov

Some Construction Views not seen Before

The NYPL Archive has thousands of interesting fair images that they add frequently; I though I should share dome interesting construction shots.

First we see the area to the Northwest of Constitution mall looking towards the Bowling Green and the eventual location of the Main Gate. The building in foreground is the Home Furnishing's building - America at Home in the 1940 season. In the foreground we can see the foundation for the Food North building.

post-4303-126023070016_thumb.jpeg

This is a shot of the entire fairgrounds, showing the completion of the General Exhibit halls. Notable in this shot it the unfinished hemispherical framework of the Perisphere and the Amphitheater.

post-4303-126023085382_thumb.jpeg

This is looking Southeast across the fairgrounds, showing the Administration building in foreground. The general exhibit halls are mostly completed, with the exception of the Food North building and the Fisheries/ Heinz building. Note the framework of the NYC building and the pressed land for the Theme Centre's foundation.

post-4303-126023107019_thumb.jpeg

Hi All, hi Joey,

Thanks for posting this - I went throught the NYPL site and missed this one. This image allowed me to confirm a hunch about building #17. I just expressed my thoughts about where this building would be located to a fellow PTU'er and now I see I was right :) I have a candid of this little building, it is or was the NYWF 1939 Test Structure :) the first thing to go up apprently. My candid is from 1937 or a bit after. None of the other structures seen here are presnt.

Best,

Eric

Here are some more shots, some construction, others just interesting vantage points from the run of the fair.

post-4303-12650609448_thumb.jpeg

A shot of a main painting the Perisphere, my guess is between seasons? Also -the structure on the left is one of those "dots" that is seen on the top of the perisphere. At first thought I assumed it was a service entrance (and some might be) But then I remembered there were 16 of them. I doubt they would place 16 service entrances within a few feet of one another. Anyone have any ideas?

post-4303-126506106983_thumb.jpeg

A little earlier in the construction process, this time the scaffolding around the Theme centre can be seen, with one of the support towers in the background. Another "service entrance" an be seen.

post-4303-126506103344_thumb.jpeg

An interesting view of the unintentional sundial caused by the Trylon's shadow.

post-4303-126506110705_thumb.jpeg

The Jewel of the new find: a shot of the Trylon entrance as seen from quite a ways up. It shows the crowd filing into the Theme Centre on the day the queen visited.

Here are some more shots, some construction, others just interesting vantage points from the run of the fair.

post-4303-12650609448_thumb.jpeg

A shot of a main painting the Perisphere, my guess is between seasons? Also -the structure on the left is one of those "dots" that is seen on the top of the perisphere. At first thought I assumed it was a service entrance (and some might be) But then I remembered there were 16 of them. I doubt they would place 16 service entrances within a few feet of one another. Anyone have any ideas?

Air vents?

Possibly, it would make sense with the machinery located near the top of the structure too. But then why would they be open when there are workers on the top, before the exhibit is open? I suppose it could be a test of the interior machinery?? Where are the blueprints?

Hi Joey,

I was really hoping that first photo in your last post images, the one with the guy painting, was actually between seasons as that would than be the first image I recall seeing of the Parachute Jump being moved. Alas, it must be pre-Fair as the trees are bare and the top of GE's lightning bolt is missing, although it did undergo some structural changes for 1940...and of course Streets of Paris is missing from the Hall of Music.

Joey, you asked me just what they were testing with the test building - my answer is "publicity" :)

Best and thank you,

Eric