Bradd Schiffman

Recreating The Fair in 3D

On October 22, 1965, I stood underneath an Atlas Missle at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. At that time, my brother Donald was a 14 year member of the Air Force and was in charge of the complicated process to erect the Atlas onto the launch pad when it arrived from Palmdale. Three days later, it was fired downrange to Kwajalein Island in the South Pacific. The memory of the immensity of this missle has always been very vivid.

Ray Dashner

It must have been very ironic Ray, to stand under that rocket knowing it's destructive power, then to realize that that very missile could be capable of starting the War that would end the world.

It must have been very ironic Ray, to stand under that rocket knowing it's destructive power, then to realize that that very missile could be capable of starting the War that would end the world.

That could never happen with these test launchings of Atlas because not one was equipped with a war head. WW-III is yet to happen and because of our step by step advancements in rocketry, we are the only nation to ever bring U.S. citizens (Astronauts) to the moon and back. I'm always looking forward to peaceful use of rocketry which has evolved to frequent launches from Cape Kennedy to expand the space station, fix the Hubble Telescope, send a land rover to Mars, etc.

Ray Dashner

Regardless of wether it was armed or not, the mere thought of being that close would have sent chills up my spine!!

Links are great Bradd, brought back many forgotten memories.

Also, a question on the Thor: is the main rocket body a single colour, or is there a texture with more subtle details on the body itself, like that of metal??

Hi Joey,

Some slides (probably from early 1964) show a pristine white uniform finish, but the later ones show a dingey yellowing/browning. I was told that the final texturing will be done at UCF for continuity, but they still wanted my "UNITED STATES" decals...

Ok here's the latest. Perfect enough yet? "No wait, I think I can *still* make it more accurate, just a few more hours work"...

Engine area with reference photo: (I think the reference photo appears stretched here, but it matched when I used it for building the engine area)

post-19-1262131757_thumb.jpg

Thor-Delta Tiros launch: (the model looks gray because it is a screen capture and not a render)

post-19-126213114092_thumb.jpg

(see newer post below - can't figure out how to delete a post!)

Click on 'Edit', and once you get to the edit screen you should be able to find a delete button.

Click on 'Edit', and once you get to the edit screen you should be able to find a delete button.

I looked again, and I still can't find a delete button. I don't think I have delete privileges even for my own posts....

Atlas-Mercury is complete (unless I hear from Lori that it needs more work)

The renders show the body as white, even though I tried to specify highly reflective stainless steel. The UCF texture team will hopefully fix this...

post-19-126238233756_thumb.jpg post-19-126238235479_thumb.jpg post-19-126238234841_thumb.jpg

Thanks Joey, I'd love to, but just finishing Space Park in my spare time over the next three years Lori's grant has to run is starting to seem impossible. She must have had an army of people working on the Transportation area to get it to the point it was in the Summer 2009 YouTube video...