Bradd Schiffman

Recreating The Fair in 3D

space-park-9.jpg

space-park-9a.jpg

Looks like it reads:

"Command and Service Modules of the three-segment Apollo Spacecraft. Three astronauts will ride in Command Module enroute to the moon and during return to earth. Service Module contains a rocket engine plus electronics and guidance equipment to make mid-course flight path corrections."

What photo are you talking about? That's the motorcycle I drove at the time, an early Honda, one of the first series of Hondas imported here, before Honda began importing cars. It was the Honda 150.

That was in this topic:

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?showtopic=7095

If you scroll down past the Hondas parked at the gate pictures, there is also a picture of a Honda on display in the Japan Pavilion.

OMG you guys are AWESOME! Thank you so much! Lori said she has the X-15, Mercury and Gemini capsules, and the Saturn Boat tail done, but also said that I am the only one working on Space Park right now, so I will let her know that we now have some real possibilities for creating signage and some of the background displays. I also like your idea of contacting KSC for images of the display boards. Bill thank you so much for those scans! If the Apollo isn't already modeled, your scans make it look like it should be very easy. I'll send you the model when it's done!

Larry, do you mean the Honda Dream? Good grief, that was the first and only motorcycle I ever owned!

Bradd, between Bill and I we've got LOTS of photos of the background panels. Not comprehensive by any means, but when you get to each of those we can take a stab at them. I already have them organized individually for each of the 31 exhibits.

The biggest gap we have is probably the heartbeat sensor. NOTHING. Same for Nuclear Test Detection Research Satellite. And all I have for NERVA is a NASA photo and sketch. Same for TIROS and OSO.

Hey Bradd and Larry, that makes three of us! I had a black Honda 150 Dream, too... when I was 16! This photo isn't mine, but it was a neat looking bike, wasn't it? Always loved the purpleish one with the red seat. Great job on the rocket renderings, Bradd.

post-86-126080853563_thumb.jpeg

post-86-126080872021_thumb.jpg

Nice photos, Doug! I drove that motorcycle winter and summer, in snow and ice and rain. The engine finally exploded, thanks, I believe, to my own goofy valve tappet adjustment. There's a 305 from that series in the San Diego Auto Museum.

Doug, that black Honda Dream is the exact one I had when I was 16! Thank you for the pic!!!!

This is rather amazing that so many people here had that motorcycle!

MeonHondac1964-JimmyK-1.jpg?t=1261415207

That's me driving my Honda 150 in 1964. The picture was taken on Seaman Avenue in the Inwood section of upper Manhattan where I grew up.

Here is the first picture of me, a future Segway owner. Now, how many here can make that statement?

Ray D.

post-4015-126098273703_thumb.jpg

No, Larry. What you heard them say was "Isn't that baby priceless?"

As time passed, the value increased geometrically. I'm now worth $83,400.00 per pound.

My last three cars since 1984 have been Honda Civics, so I beat your Honda 150 Motorcycle by 6,500 pounds. Total travel in my Hondas is appox. 664,000 miles....and I didn't have to wear a helmet!

Honda Civics are good cars, Ray. I had two of them, hatchbacks, in 1991. The first one got stolen at 5,000 miles, and then I bought another one (they only cost a little more than $5,000 - cars have gone up a lot in the last few years), and then, also at 5,000 miles, that one got wrecked. It got wrecked when a hearse of all things went careening off the West Side Highway exit at Riverside Drive and skidded on ice and crashed into me just as I was pulling out of my parking spot by Ft. Tryon Park (from which it amazingly hadn't been stolen or vandalized overnight). So then I decided that Honda Civics, good as they were, were just a jinx on me, especially considering the omen of the hearse, so I bought a '91 Nissan pickup truck ($7,000) next, so i bought three new vehicles in 1991.

Here's the latest Thor-Delta renders (finally got the dimensions and "decal" corrected). I still can't quite get the odd-shaped pods on either side of the engine bell, but will make a 98th and 99th attempt in the coming weeks. I also need to work on the shape of the engine bell and its texture map. Meanwhile, I think my Agena-B has been accepted. Got a few more tweaks on the Atlas-Mercury, then it's on the the Apollo.

post-19-126131786837_thumb.jpg

post-19-126131787782_thumb.jpg

Darn Larry, I would really have liked to see that pic of you driving the Honda Dream...looks like PhotoBucket "lost" it?

Fixed it.

Yep, white. Click here, Bradd:

There's more videos on the right, including your black Honda:

After my Honda blew up I had two more motorcycles - a fast Triumph 650 and a slow Jawa 175. I commuted to the Fair on the Triumph in '65, from Riverdale in the Bronx where I was living at the time. I remember cruising down the GCP on the Triumph one balmy summer night after my midnight shift ended, along with another Greyhound bus driver who rode motorcycles.

No, Larry. What you heard them say was "Isn't that baby priceless?"

Reminds me of the old joke 'Just look at that baby- what a treasure!' 'Yes, let's bury it.'

:D

I don't know which comedian originated that joke but it was probably one of the big names.

Thank you Bill! I also desperately needed that view of the outboard Atlas booster section and the pod above. I can see now that my 3D version is way too rounded and circular. Hopefully I can use the nonuniform transform function to flatten it a little...