Bradd Schiffman

Recreating The Fair in 3D

Is AutoDesk the software they're using for the big WF project? I went and read about it. Pretty neat stuff.

What are you gonna do with your next 199 hours - now that you're experienced with the software? :rolleyes:

tres cool!

post-19-126022772054_thumb.jpgHere's a render of the Agena using the reference photo from Bill Cotter as background. This one only took about 20 hours. I didn't get it exact, but hope it's close enough. Anyone have any images showing what (if any) engine was installed? Thanks in advance...

I do not believe this particular Agena vehicle had en engine on it. I know that there was a small stabilizer of sorts at the base for corrections one in orbit. The shot of the "Angry Alligator" shows where the engine would have been before it detached; whilst the shots of the primary Docking Agena shows this engine.

Angry Alligator: post-4303-126014808471_thumb.jpg

Alternate Agena:post-4303-126014818211_thumb.jpg

I hadn't noticed it before Bradd, but looks like the engine compartment is a real photo gap. We'll have to watch for one that will reveal what if anything was there.

Ok, Agena-B is done, awaiting final approval from Lori. Here's some renders:

post-19-126062647125_thumb.jpg

post-19-126062647709_thumb.jpg

post-19-126062648725_thumb.jpg

post-19-126062649302_thumb.jpg

post-19-12606265336_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any closeups of the display boards that surrounded every item in Space Park? Lori said she would love to find some she could actually read, and I haven't been able to find a single readable one in my collection or online. I know there was a bunch around the Agena-B. Thanks in advance...

Unfortunately it seems nobody set out to document the signboards with photographs. It made it very difficult identifying what was what through photos, and there are still one or two wall displays that we're not positive about.

I have six ground-level photos of Agena, and ALL of them are from the side away from the sign board. But in one photo I was able to see the signboard- it's just too far away to read it.

There are a few photos with readable signboards of other exhibits. I remember Ranger off the top of my head. On quite a few, the 'title' part of the signboard is readable because it's the biggest type size (such as Thor-Delta) which identifies for us what the exhibit was, but the smaller type size explanation is too small to be read. Usually in photos where we see the signboard, somebody is trying to capture the entire exhibit, not just the signboard itself, so in digitally zooming in on a scan of the photo, the signboard becomes pretty grainy. Film stock of that time was not as sharp as it is today either- and certainly not compared to our digital cameras with high pixel counts. But that doesn't mean we don't keep looking! :)

Apparently the signboards could be read the same from either side.

Here are both sides of the Thor-Delta sign. The second one is a little better- at least the beginning words can read, identifying this as an actual launch rocket.

Thor-Delta_sign1.jpg

Thor-Delta_sign2.jpg

You might want to check the 'business end' of Thor-Delta in these photos. Your model seems to missing some kind of appendages under there that look like white fiberglass in the photos- but I'll bet they were something like titanium to withstand that heat.

Also, the bottom of the support stand appears to have been buried in the concrete.

Thor-Delta_rocket1.jpg

Thor-Delta_rocket2.jpg

Thor-Delta_rocket3.jpg

Thanks Randy, will do, and thank you so much for the images! I've got a number of photocopied press releases from NASA, but can't find any readable signage.

Here's one:

"THOR DELTA -- The full-scale booster on display, 90 feet high, has three stages and can rocket about 105 pounds to the Moon. Among 22 consecutive successful launches, it orbited Echo I, the TIROS satellites, and Ariel I. The Thor booster, which develops 172,000 pounds of thrust, also is used in Thor Agena, a two-stage, 76-foot-tall rocket, and the thrust-augmented Thor (TAD), which has three Thiokol solid-fuel engines mounted around the base and develops 332,000 pounds of thrust."

...and here's another:

"Immediately behind the X-15 is the Thor-Delta launch vehicle, also in full scale, which has successfully placed 72 spacecraft in Earth orbit. Among these are the Telstar, Relay, Echo, and Syncom communications satellites, and the Tiros weather satellites, all on view at the Space Park."

I'm trying desperately to make out some of the wording on the sign, but so far all I can see is possibly "172,000 pounds of thrust". I will try contacting NASA again and see if they might possibly have anything in their archives. By the way, that 90 foot height is the only data I had to go on, but it was enough to get all the other dimensions using calipers and proportioning.

Here's the image from Dayton I was using for the engine and stand:

post-19-126075033428_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile here's some rework on the Atlas:

Vernier engine:

post-19-126074919146_thumb.jpg

Booster skirting:

post-19-126074918112_thumb.jpg

Here's the sign tweaked in Photoshop. All I can make out so far (I think) is "Actual Thor Delta research rocket with (satellite payload?). The 90 foot Thor Delta is a three stage rocket (which generates?) 172,000 pounds of thrust at lift off..."

post-19-12607506383_thumb.jpg

The press releases help a little bit- and maybe my eyes are good at reading blur. haha

It starts out "Actual Thor-Delta launch rocket with typical payload. The 90 foot Thor-Delta is a three stage rocket which develops 172,000 pounds of thrust at the ________________.......[and I can't make out the rest...]

Bill can you find this original slide? It's on one of your earlier CD's, in "Set 32, Picture 25". Maybe a scan at as high a resolution as possible WITHOUT any software restoration- just a raw scan- would help a little bit. The flatbed scanner I got this past year will do 4800 which is a tiny bit higher than the 4000 of the Coolscan.