worldsfairent

FMCP TONIGHT ONCE MORE ON CSI:NY!

I'm seeing numerous guests viewing the topic Underground Home Construction several times today.

:) Mission accomplished! :)

And thanks again for the kind words and watching, XL5, Bill, and Mitch!

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?showtopic=5437 page 5 of Building the 1964-65 New York World's Fair

There were 1780 views at 5PM. Prior to that I saw about 6 guests viewing throughout the day, not that I was actively looking, before I thought it would be interesting to monitor. I wonder if there is any way of determining an increase in traffic or searches for NYSP or the NYWF in general since the broadcast.

Yup, fun stuff. Great job, Trey.

Thoughts:

McCloud definitely moves into second place in the FMCP, WF Hall of Fame, with the 2008 Law & Order "World's Fair" episode following in third place.

They'd better weld that manhole cover down! :lol:

Did you get souvenirs from the Underground Home set?

Is that Unisphere snowglobe a real WF souvenir or a prop? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Wow, thanks Doug!

Oh yes-- I did get a few choice souvenirs from the Underground Home. But our amazing Props Department actually handcrafted that NYWF Snow Globe-- believe it or not, there were too many licensing issues to contend with if we'd used an actual souvenir-- so in the end, it was more time efficient and cost effective to simply make our own.

I liked that snowglobe and thought it was authentic!

Trey should have temporarily framed his '39 fair shirt and hung it in the background ;)

It was excellent! I really enjoyed it!

Question. How did the camera go from the top of the TOT and go under to the entrance? I didn't think the crane would be that flexible.

Thanks again. It was fun.

sol

Met Richard Post at the NYSP today.

John, the Director of Parks Preservation, whose last name embarrassingly escapes me, told me he was not aware that CSI:NY, last week and previous, featured the park and pavilion he is trying to preserve. I mentioned it was available online and described the shots and he expressed interest in seeing it.

He said, Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe is interested in finding out whether the Underground Home is still there.

post-3873-12594374678_thumb.jpg

Was this the one?

post-3873-125943751094_thumb.jpg Here is what Parks intends with the Unisphere work... "back to their 1964 World's Fair brilliance." Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere.

....Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe is interested in finding out whether the Underground Home is still there....

They will not break the seal and reenter it if they "find" it again would they? I doubt it myself; to do so would require money that they'd most likely rather spend elsewhere. This is one of only two fair relics that are still untouched since there glory days, the other being the two Westinghouse Time Capsules, and it would be a shame to se them destroy it out of curiosity.

Bliss...pure bliss, Trey.

I'm a fellow CBS-er(Blackrock) and am so proud it was shown on our network.

-Karyn

Thanks Karyn (CBS Rocks!) and you too, Sol and Joey! Thanks everybody again and again here at PTU/WFC-- I honestly couldn't have brought this story to life without all that I've learned (and LOVED) on this site!

Fear not, worldsfairfan... you can watch the episode in its entirety for the next few days right here:

CSI:NY - "Manhattanhenge"

"The video you have requested is not available for viewing in your geographical area"

I seem to remember getting the same thing when I tried to watch an episode of Life on Mars that I missed.

That would be right! With the way the TV stations change their shows and timeslots in Australia week to week, who knows when this will be screened down here. May have to wait till it comes out on DVD.

Anyway, congratulations, the stills look excellent.

Thanks for trying anyway, Terry007... we actually had some on-set visitors a few weeks ago from Melbourne, and I was surprised to hear that back in Australia, they're still in the middle of Season 4-- two seasons ago! Oh well-- whatever season you're watching-- THANKS FOR WATCHING! :)

Happy 'Manhattan-henge" Trey!!!

Yesterday's was nothing but rain clouds. Tonight is clearing up with 30 minutes to peak experience!

Here is advice from the Museum of Natural History here in NYC:

Manhattanhenge times for 2012.

Arrive a half-hour earlier than the times given.

Half Sun on the grid:

Tuesday, May 29 — 8:17 P.M. EDT

Thursday, July 12 — 8:25 P.M. EDT

Full Sun on the grid:

Wednesday, May 30 — 8:16 P.M. EDT

Wednesday, July 11 — 8:24 P.M. EDT

For best effect, position yourself as far east in Manhattan as possible. But ensure that when you look west across the avenues you can still see New Jersey. Clear cross streets include 14th, 23rd, 34th. 42nd, 57th, and several streets adjacent to them. The Empire State building and the Chrysler building render 34th street and 42nd streets especially striking vistas.

Thanks, Bench! Hope the clouds clear and you East Coasters get to enjoy the phenomenon... free of any park dwelling psychopaths, of course!

Sorry for the thread mine....but I finally watched this ep of CSI:NY last night!

I missed the original airing here, at the time we were about 2 seasons behind the US, and the broadcast time seems to shift every week.

Anyhoo, the local DVD store was having a closing down sale and I picked up an ex rental season 6 for $7.

Then last night Blue Bloods, one of my 2 guilty TV pleasures along with Mythbusters, wasnt on so we watched Manhattanhenge.

REALLY great work Trey.

My wife and kids were stoked to see all the things we visited in the park last November. My 10yo son was excited to catch a glimpse of the park benches under the Rocket Thrower, where we sat for about 20 mins, whilst I tried to explan what they would have seen there 48 years ago.

One question about the home furnishings. What was the item that looked like a bird cage with liquid dripping down the bars? Its probably a lamp or a "Hawaiian" girl behind a waterfall type 60s kitch, but it has me intrigued.

That was a lamp that let oil run down the strings, then it was pumped back up and ran down again. Some people liked them in the 60s or so. Happily we didn't fall in that category or there likely would have oil all over the place from too much indoor play during winters.

Thanks for watching, Terry-- and for your kind words! Bill is right-- that was an authentic 60's RAIN OIL LAMP. No idea whether there was actually one in the real Underground Home-- but my Grandma certainly had one in hers during the mid 60's, and it always fascinated me-- so I wrote one into the show!

Thanks for watching, Terry-- and for your kind words! Bill is right-- that was an authentic 60's RAIN OIL LAMP. No idea whether there was actually one in the real Underground Home-- but my Grandma certainly had one in hers during the mid 60's, and it always fascinated me-- so I wrote one into the show!

Well there's power for you - "I'd like to see [x], so I'll write it in." :D

Next time, write in something rare that we're all looking for and see if the props department can find it! ;)

Now that I know what type of lamp it is, i was able to google it.

My God they are ghastly! Cant say I have ever seen one before.

But I can see the facination from a young boys point of view, after seeing one at Grandmas.