Randy Treadway

The World's Fair Post Office

By popular demand, here are some World's Fair Post Office pictures.

Unfortunately we still don't have any interior pictures of the exhibits and the "tour". But here are some of the better exterior views we've seen to this point.

64-09-24-24_Worlds_Fair_Post_Office.jpg

64-09-24-25_Worlds_Fair_Post_Office.jpg

64-09-24-26_Worlds_Fair_Post_Office.jpg

Kevin, you know what this means of course.

"Gentlemen, start your mappin'!"

Post_Office_overhead.jpg

Post_Office_01.jpg

Post_Office_02.jpgPost_Office_02a.jpg

Post_Office_03.jpgPost_Office_03a.jpg

#4 Great Britain ("ER" = Elizabeth Regina)

Post_Office_04-Great_Britain.jpgPost_Office_04a-Great_Britain.jpgPost_Office_04b-Great_Britain.jpg

#5 is says "Postes"- maybe France or a French-speaking country

Post_Office_05.jpgPost_Office_05a.jpgPost_Office_05b.jpg

#6 maybe Norway?

Post_Office_06.jpgPost_Office_06a.jpg

Post_Office_07.jpgPost_Office_07a.jpg

for rest of photos scroll to page 2

(rebuilt by administrator after damage to the topic)

Kevin, you know what this means of course.

"Gentlemen, start your mappin'!"

I'll give it a shot, but this one's going to be difficult as most countries have changed their designs since 1964!

BTW - That's an excellent photo of Luminarie configuration 10-D-D-A in the second picture. I don't think I've seen a nice, clear shot of this particular design before...

Best Regards,

Kevin

I think #13 is Japan...

#4 Great Britain ("ER" = Elizabeth Regina)

#4 may be the Crown Colony of Hong Kong instead of Great Britain.

The Hong Kong Post Office issued this set of stamps in 1991 showing the history of postal boxes in Hong Kong- and the design seems to match our World's Fair picture

Hong_Kong_postal_box_stamps.jpg

If you any of you 'back easterners' can get by the New York Public Library and ask for access to their NYWF Corporation archives, there is some material on the exhibits at the Post Office building in Box 592.

By the way, did you know that the Fair Corporation's filing system included a folder for 'Freaks'? (Pl.637)

There are some more recent photos of the Post Office building here:

http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/index.php?showtopic=725

Could the Fair Corporation's propensity to arrange things in alphabetical order (ala the Flags in the Court of Nations and Court of States) help us out here?

Just a thought...

Best Regards,

Kevin

Thanks for the photo Al... though it is rather sad

I also found it interesting that they still fly a flag over it...

Here's a little Then & Now aerial photo comparsion for you all too:

PostOfficeThenNow.jpg

Best Regards,

Kevin

Could the Fair Corporation's propensity to arrange things in alphabetical order (ala the Flags in the Court of Nations and Court of States) help us out here?

I don't think so- we've only identified a few of them and the order is already way out of whack as far as the alphabet.

I wonder if they limited it to just countries who had a 'presence' at the World's Fair?

West Germany didn't have an outright pavilion, but Berlin did, and there was a German building in the International Plaza.

France had the Pavilion of Paris, and the Poupees (ha ha)

But then there's Turkey....they were at the '39 Fair....oh well, so much for that idea!

You'll notice each of the mailboxes had an explanatory card mounted on top of them. The five on the right side of the sidewalk are closer to the camera, and some of the cards are readable on the original slide. That's where I got New Zealand

You'd think the Post Office might have published a pamphlet as a 'guide' to the mailbox exhibit.

That's what I'm hoping may be in Box 592 at the New York Public Library. Who wants to check it out?

P.S.- Kevin your black & white picture above is the one I used to make the box number map. I just zoomed in to the immediate entrance sidewalk area, enlarged it, cropped it, and rotated it. Then I 'whited out' the grass lawn and started typing on the numbers.

Post_Office_13.jpg

I agree about #13 being Japan.

Here is the symbol for the Japanese Post Office.

2224_01.gif

You can see it right in the middle of the mail box, in white lettering.

You'd think the Post Office might have published a pamphlet as a 'guide' to the mailbox exhibit.

Yes, you would think that they must have had some sort of brochure...

John Pender - have you seen anything come your way on the World's Fair Post Office??

Best Regards,

Kevin

#5 does indeed seem to be French: <a href="http://www.wicks.org/pulp/world.html" target="_blank">http://www.wicks.org/pulp/world.html</a> It's got the lip over the slot, "Postes", and the sort of stepped top.

<a href="http://www.shopthrupost.hk/index.php?page=prd_detail&type=prd&id=261" target="_blank">http://www.shopthrupost.hk/index.php?page=...type=prd&id=261</a> is a better picture of a Japanese box. It's defintely the same as #13.

#14 may (or may not) be one from Denmark: <a href="http://www.shopthrupost.hk/index.php?page=prd_detail&type=prd&id=262" target="_blank">http://www.shopthrupost.hk/index.php?page=...type=prd&id=262</a>

Slightly of topic but - I was looking at this thread last night while my son (8 yr old) was getting ready for bed. He knows that I'm interested in the Fair, but never asked much about it. He came in and wanted to see what I was doing, so I explained about this topic and how people were trying to ID the various mailboxes. Then I showed him the photos of the post office now and in '64. When he saw the photos from '64 he immediately said "hey, those are the lights from Canobie Lake, and the trash cans too!" Looks like I've made another junkie.....

It was a fully functional post office with a front counter, and it handled all the mail for the new zip code that was established for the World's Fair.

There was also a public tour where you could view the inner workings of a modern post office, including the newest technology Mark II sorting machine.

I found a newspaper article about it last night.

So what was in the Post Office exhibit? Could you open the mailboxes? Was there anything inside like a placard or something like that?

WorldsFairEnthusiast

Maybe you meant could you open those exhibit boxes on the exterior of the building. I thought maybe you meant rental "P.O.Boxes" on the inside.

I have reason to believe that you could deposit mail (mostly postcards) into the U.S. mailbox- because it has one of those cards on it that shows the pickup times.

But I expect the foreign boxes were solely for display purposes.

I doubt the U.S. box got a whole lot of mail- since there were mailboxes readily available throughout the Fairgrounds, and souvenir stands throughout the Fairgrounds sold postage stamps, and this Post Office was very much "out of the way" over there by the Atomedic Hospital.

Unless you wanted to mail a package home or something, there wasn't a whole lot of reason to go over there except to take the tour to see how the sorting operations worked.

That brings up a good question though.

How many pavilions featured a mail service where you could deposit a postcard or something and they would send it through their own national postal service- usually back to the person at their home address?

The only service like that, that I'm aware of was at the Vatican Pavilion. BUt there could have been others....

I wouldn't be surprised if the Federal Pavilion had a post office. Is there a way at all to get into the Post Office currently because maybe there may be some remnants of the exhibit which might give us a clue about what went on in there. Why would the Fair Corporation the post office in such an obscure place? Finally is it true that the Post Office after the fair was used as a roller rink alongside the NYSP?

WorldsFairEnthusiast

The World's Fair Post Office has been used for storage for many years. Recently they ripped up the sidewalk where the mail boxes were located for additional roads and parking for the new ice rink. Here's a recent photo I took on January 8, 2008.

I have posted some photos over the years but every time this site is updated the photos disappear.

Al

Of course they won't. You know how much respect this city has for it's past!