Bill Cotter

How about a nice horse ride?

Did you know that you could go for a horse ride at the Fair?

Neither did I.

It looks like you could, though, at least in 1965. Here's a view along the Avenue of Progress towards the Pavilion of American Interiors:

american-interiors-1.jpg

Zooming in shows there's a sign saying something about "rides" out by the street, then this to the left of that:

american-interiors-2.jpg

Anyone seen this before or know anything about it?

There was something called the Lumberjack Saloon located sort of between Mastro Pizza and Simmons. It looks like this horse ride was right next to the saloon's picnic tables. And it appears the saloon may have been associated with the Oregon exhibit.

By the way, this is the exact same corner where we also saw in 1965 some directional signs pointing to 'go-kart rides', and a sample go-kart sitting there.

I wonder if Ed ever got Frank his horseshoe?

Just checked, Bristol Agricultural School is still there, but they seem to have dropped the Segregansett, MA address... the area is Taunton/Dighton, MA. Never heard of Segregansett until now. BRISTOL AGGIE

"Carnival Pavilion (formerly Texas Pavilion)- 1965"

Ah yes, the late great Texas Music Hall with my can can girls!

They must have been talking about those mechanical kiddie horses. I don't recollect any real horses at the Fair, except I think a Lowenbrau wagon pulled by gigantic draft horses.

Here is the 1965 photo we've previous seen of the go-kart with directional arrow. This was a few months before the horse sign.

30-006_-_Pavilion_of_American_Interiors.jpg

Now check out this view that I just noticed, next to the Simmons pavilion. Could it be the go-kart track? This picture is 1965, but not sure of the month.

65-xx-04_Simmons_Pavilion.jpg

It just occured to me- I wonder if those "rest alcoves" were soundproofed from the high-pitched whine of go-kart motors? :)