Sign in to follow this  
Hoodlock

Trivia? Treevia!

Larry, they shot off fireworks every nite, from batteries in the Pool of Industry. So if you were driving in the area of the NY City pav., it would indeed look like you described.

Larry- Can you recall if they killed the lights on the Unisphere for the 9 p.m. fireworks? They do presently. There are fireworks,et cetera a few times during the year @ FMCP.

Richard

Oh, I don't think they did, Park. The whole Fair was so beautifully and wildly illuminated that even if they were to shut off the Unisphere lights it would not have made much difference. Those lights weren't very bright compared to all the others.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by larry lief:

...The whole Fair was so beautifully and wildly illuminated...<HR></blockquote>

Talk to us about that Larry?

Rich

May I speak to that also?

On our second visit to the Fair in '64, we stayed 'til nightfall, and took a Glide-a-Ride tour. (Heck, Larry, you might have even been driving!!!)

It was indescribably beautiful!! Especially for these 10-year-old eyeballs! I remember it like it was yesterday.

That was me driving, Mike! I remember you!

I drove Glide-a-Ride tours in '64, and I always worked the 4PM to midnight night shift.

Oh, yes, nightimes were quite glorious. That was the very best aspect of the Fair, I think - the multicoloured lights at night, the fireworks, the unreal and enchanting atmosphere...

My night time favorite pavilions were GE and GM. General Electric had lights covering its dome in a pinwheel spiral that would flash in alternating colors making them appear to revolve. General Motor's entranceway had lights that radiate up from the base of the huge fin. The luminescence would slowly change its hue with gentle radiance glowing like embers in a fire.

Pop quiz,

Of the two guidebooks of the Fair, there is only one nighttime color photograph of a pavilion. Name the book and the pavilion.

How many Generals were at the Fair?

Which of these were at the Fair?

1) Gift-O-Rama

2) Nik-O-Lok

3) Relax-4-Life

4) Meher Baba

5) Mottahedeh

6) Yugo

Name the three 'Cola' companies at the fair.

[This message has been edited by Hoodlock (edited 01-07-2001).]

General Motors, General Electric, General Cigar, General Aniline & Film (GAF) General Foods.

All six were exhibitors.

Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, & Royal Crown.

From the 1965 Official Guide, p.100:<p>

<b>POOL OF INDUSTRY<b><p>

The Fountain of the Planets, largest in the world, shoots 10,000 tons of water as high as 150 feet into the air in ever-changing patterns. Rockets are fired from 464 launchers; lights totalling 150 million candle power cast their brilliant colors at water and sky...

quote:

Originally posted by Hoodlock:

How many Generals were at the Fair?

Originally posted by Mike Kraus:

General Motors, General Electric, General Cigar, General Aniline & Film (GAF) General Foods.

All six were exhibitors.

You forgot one:

Unlike it's visit to the '39-40 NYWF, this time it came under its own power.

Here it is on its way, just before arriving at the fair- looks like on the Pennsy electrified line.

The_General.jpg

Randy

[This message has been edited by c318137 (edited 10-31-2002).]

quote:

Originally posted by Park Bench:

Randy?

Is that image of the General below from a
NYWF
Post Card???

-Rich

vampire.gif

Yes, it is. Well, actually I suspect it's published later. On the back the caption says it's the General on the way to the -64-65 NYWF.

Probably published for sale at The General exhibit down south- most likely (I'd guess) one of several views showing where The General went over the years.

Randy

Fantastic! Haven't seen or heard of that post card!! I collect post cards of / or relating to the NYWF of 64-65 AND 39-40.

I love obscure examples like yours below.

Got extras for trading?!?!?!

-Rich

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c318137:

Here it is on its way, just before arriving at the fair- looks like on the Pennsy electrified line.<HR></blockquote>

Actually this is New Haven catenary, and is closer to FMCP than you think! You can see the hades's Gate bridge just peeking out over the pilot (cowcatcher) of the locomotive. It is on the eastern side of the bridge approach.

FWIW, the Pennsy had taller catenary support towers.

Randy.

quote:

Originally posted by billcotter:

I would love to get a photocopy of the card as well if possible. Just let me know what it would take.

Thanks

Bill

I'm not ABSOLUTELY sure I have the card (as opposed to a scan of the front), but I'll check tonight.

I think I DO have it though- because I remember seeing the back side at some point.

I have a pretty extensive collection of the Dexter cards, and scattered from other publishers. I have most (but not all) of the Plastichrome and Progressive cards.

I also have a big stack of a couple of hundred that I bought individually some time back but haven't even found the time to sort through and file away in my '64-64 Postcard albums.

I also have a big digital archive of '64-65 postcards, including a lot that I don't have myself, and a list in an Excel workbook that began from a 1966 published work, that I reorganized and expanded on as I found other cards. Nothing "newly discovered" in that stack of ~200 cards has been added to the Excel workbook though- that's the task that lies ahead for me.

Of course I'll be glad to share info--- smile.gif

(I also have a shoebox bursting with dupes-

but not of the General card-

if I have it, I know I don't have a dupe of it)

In the meantime- here's the challenge of the

day:

Do YOU have all three versions of Dexter 47233-B, the ubiquitous Claxton Fruit Cake card? smile.gif

Hint: the photo on the front is the same- it's the caption on the back that's different, showing the progression of them getting bounced out of the World Of Food Pavilion, and eventually finding a temporary, then permanent home in the Better Living Center.

Randy

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love obscure examples like yours below.-Rich<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here an interesting 'obscure' one that I just won on eBay yesterday:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=728035396" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&item=728035396</a>

Randy

Yes I have that Delco with reply. I think I have another of GM displays as well.

I have the two different locations of The Claxton Fruitcake Co. - same face...What's the third variation?

I have collected better than 75% of that 1966 (Peter Warner) NYWF PC Checklist. I am also counting the Dexters with & without "clouds" and with the old and new logos. ...O - we could talk post cards rolleyes.gif

One of my favorite recently bagged obsure NYWF pc's is seen on the nywf64.com feature on the Cities Service Worlds Fair Band.

http://www.nywf64.com/citserv02.html

It is a Mint 3.5" x 9" card supposedly from the estate of one of the band.

quote:

I have the two different locations of The Claxton Fruitcake Co. - same face...What's the third variation?

Here's the three types. For the second type, it appears that the original batch of cards was sent back to be overprinted in red when it became apparent that the World of Food Pavilion was never going to open. But by that time some of the original cards had already got distributed. When the overprinted stock ran out and more cards were needed, the final version came out.

caption.jpg

By the way, I have scans of several other Dexter cards (one in immediate adjacent number sequence to this NYWF one) showing the Claxton factory down in Georgia, but they don't refer to the World's Fair. I have a couple of these in my collection.

Randy

Stand by.

I do indeed have the General postcard.

And there's even more to the Claxton postcard varieties than I shared this afternoon, now that I look at what I have in my collection.

I'm gonna break this into a couple of new threads so that the subject line is more relative for people.

Randy