17 replies to this topic

#1 midnightrid3r

midnightrid3r

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:15 AM

I just thought about it. In 4 years it will be 50 years since the best worlds fair ever took place in FMCP. I wonder what kind of condition the the park will be in by then. Will the NYSP Observation Towers still be standing
? Will they have had done a restoration project on the TOT. Who knows the Parks Department might even decide to bring the fair back to the park. Only 4 more years guys.

#2 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

Hard to believe it has been 50 years already!! With the way things are going in favor of the park structures, I can only hope that the Park can continue to be improved.

#3 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:09 AM

Little has been done to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the 1939 fair this year. I cannot imagine, with the state slipping deeper into debt, that there will much done in the park over the next few years--unless it is done with private monies.

#4 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

The 70th anniversary barely even made the news.

#5 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

I think some "then and then" picture panels, showing 50 and 75 years back, would really be appropriate, and something the city could afford. They would bring on board the generations that use the park but have no clue to what was there before.

What do others think? Is this worthwhile, and could it be accomplished for the anniversary?

#6 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

I wrote to the Queens Museum offering to put something together - showing 1939, 1964 and today.

Not even the courtesy of a response.

That was last year. If anyone has someone to suggest working with I'm on board.

#7 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

The QMA is useless when it comes to park preservation and/or world's fair commemoration as far as I can tell. Maybe the New York Historical Society might have an interest in recognizing the 1964 fair's 50th anniversary. If something is done in the park and it does not include some sort of positive resolution on what should become of the NYS pavilion, then what is the point? How can there be a viable celebration as that structure continues to rot?

#8 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,370 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:29 PM

I wrote to the Queens Museum offering to put something together - showing 1939, 1964 and today.

Dr. Walters is flying up to New York the week of November 11th to meet with both the QMA and the NYHS to finalize plans for a couple of projects related to the Fairs. It's been in work for quite a while and this is to put the final nails in the project planning. She's having less success with the New York Public Library, but some moderate help from the Parks Department.

#9 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

I'm tentatively in NY that week in case she needs some extra voices to chime in.

#10 Don Cavaioli

Don Cavaioli

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hi Bill, the Queens Historical Society might be interested.

http://www.queenshis...calsociety.org/

DC

#11 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

Thanks, Don. I'll drop them a note later, but their web site hasn't been updated in years so I hope they're still around.

#12 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

Timely news on Dr. Walters:

http://today.ucf.edu...rk-worlds-fair/

UCF To Build Virtual New York World’s Fair

Posted by UCF Staff on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 0 Comments
tweetmeme_source = 'UCF';

Posted Image Print Posted Image

Lori C. Walters, a research associate in the UCF Department of History, was awarded a $1.47 million grant from the National Science Foundation to fund a 3D virtual recreation of the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair.

Walters’ team utilizes an immersive 3D virtual environment to unfold the sights, sounds, personal memories and lessons of the World’s Fair. Virtual fairgoers of all ages will be immersed in an accurately modeled historical world with more than 140 pavilions on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines and an array of arts and humanities exhibits.

#13 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

Some panels showing the past and present would be nice. We can not let events such as the 1939 and 1964 New York World's Fair's slip out of there rightful pedestal in history.

That is a driving force behind our 1939 Virtual Reconstruction.

#14 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:08 AM

Not everyone was happy with the grant:
http://www.washingto...e/67321427.html

I think they are missing the fact that the students doing the recreation are learning some very valuable skills along the way, as well as providing an excellent history lesson to those who see their results.

#15 George J Fogel

George J Fogel

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Not everyone was happy with the grant:
http://www.washingto...e/67321427.html

I think they are missing the fact that the students doing the recreation are learning some very valuable skills along the way, as well as providing an excellent history lesson to those who see their results.

Ah, the Washington Examiner, our freebie right-wing tabloid... Just the sort of thing I would expect out of them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users