Sign in to follow this  
marknyc

The Wonderful World of Chemistry

Just put up some clips from this great DuPont show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aTqss6maS8

I never saw this exhibit, but I found the record years later in a resale shop and fell in love with the lyrics:

"That's why we can tell you we are all enthusiastics about the very significant, truly magnificent Happy Plastics Family!"

"You know we all have a smile on that started with nylon and stretches across each happy face!"

"Every day that we are living is such a thrill that we can't stay nonchalant! Better Things For Better Living are coming still - that's the promise of DuPont!"

What could be better?

If you're curious about whatever happened to Corfam: The Wonderful World of Chemistry was actually about all sorts of DuPont products. As smiley actors and actresses sang "The Happy Plastic Family," audience members sat in Antron-Fabrilite chairs on Nylon carpets, watching the performers in front of a Mylar curtain. But Corfam, a new synthetic leather, was the star of the show. Promoted as having the feel and durability of leather, Corfam shoes also were water-repellent and were supposed to never need shining - attributes that inspired DuPont to proclaim that soon 25 percent of America's footwear would be made of Corfam. But then the other shoe dropped: The plastic was so unyielding that you could never, ever, break in a pair of Corfam shoes. People hated 'em. After seven years, DuPont told its wonder shoe to take a walk, at a cost of $100 million.

I did see DuPont many times, a wonderful show. DuPont rounds out my top five pavilions at the Fair, behind, GM, IBM, GE and Ford.

New Member, I don't know if you can tell from the video, seeing that you have not see the show in person, some the performers are on film interacting with live action and the rain is real.

Two sets of entertainers performed in two theaters simultaneously, after, the two crowds directed by a wave of fiber optic lights empty into one large room for the Chemistry Show.

Anyone recall the Alan Sherman parody of "Chim-Chim-Cheree" with the lyrics about brand names:

"There's Orlon and Korlan, and there's Accutron,

And Teflon, and Ban-Lon, and so on and on."

A lot of us have the video cassette of the show that we got from the Hagley Museum.

Much better quality than YT. It's a terrific show, and worth the purchase.

As most of the PTU old timers already know, my original audio recording of the DuPont show included the intro music and lyrics as the audience filled one of the two theaters (I chose GOLD), the complete show with many scenes missing from the YouTube version, plus... the complete chemistry show which followed in the RED ROOM with live music and startling chemistry experiments and a fiber optics light show on the surrounding 180 degree wall. It was one of my favorite pavilions at The Fair.

R.D.

post-4015-125636259848_thumb.jpg

CorFams...they may have failed in the civilian market, but we have used them in the military continuously! Yes, they are uncomfortable, and yes, you can never break them in. But the shine is something only the most dedicated servicemen can achieve with real leather shoes. So, CorFam is still around, thanks to the military.

I had exactly one pair of Corfams - as everyone says, they never broke in. However, they did eventually crack at the crease where the toe bent.

If anyone can host a sizeable MP3 (13.3 MB), I can forward the complete DuPont show for all to hear when downloaded to your site.

Let me know if this is possible via draydar@earthlink.net

Ray D.

For those of you that have my original recording of the E.I. DuPont show at the NYWF, follow these steps to eliminate the low frequency "rumble" caused by the theater's air conditioning ducts that was picked up during the recording.

How to activate the graphic equalizer in Windows Media Player.

Open Windows media player.

Click on ”NOW PLAYING”.

Click on “ENHANCEMENTS”

Click on “GRAPHIC EQUALIZER”

When the EQUALIZER appears at the bottom of the screen, click on “DEFAULT”

On the menu, click on “CUSTOM”

On the left side of the equalizer, click on the uppermost of the three sets of displays, “SET EQUALIZER SLIDES TO MOVE INDEPENDENTLY”.

Adjust:

31 Hz to minimum level

62 Hz to minimum level

125 to minimum level

250 to 50% level

500 to 16Khz to maximum level.

This procedure will eliminate the low frequency “rumble” of the DuPont Theater's air conditioning system that was easily picked up by the sensitive wide range microphone used in the recording process.

If anyone can host a sizeable MP3 (13.3 MB), I can forward the complete DuPont show for all to hear when downloaded to your site.

Let me know if this is possible via draydar@earthlink.net

Ray D.

Your patience will soon be rewarded. Bill Cotter has a few hours to spare every 2nd month of the year, so please hang in there while the DuPont World of Chemistry audio MP3 gets posted for all to hear.

This will be the first time the DuPont show, in its entirety, will appear on the internet. Due to the sensitivity of the UHER recorder's microphone, the low frequency "rumble" of the DuPont Pavilion's air conditioning ducts are a bit annoying. On playing it using Windows Media Player, use the settings described in the above post to roll off the audio frequencies below 500Hz.

Ray Dashner

Like most exhibits at the WF this was nothing but a commercial.

Aside from never breaking in, those plastic items of attire, like the shoes (they still try to sell them - and I'm surprised that the military uses them - just for shiny dress shoes I would think) and the Ban-Lon (I used to have them - bought them cheap in Macy's basement), didn't breathe, and most of them still don't.

Speaking of shoes, one nice thing Greyhound-at-the-Worlds Fair, Inc. (that was their official name) did for us was issue us Hush Puppies suede shoes. They were very comfortable. Do they still make them?

Aside from never breaking in, those plastic items of attire, like the shoes (they still try to sell them - and I'm surprised that the military uses them - just for shiny dress shoes I would think) and the Ban-Lon (I used to have them - bought them cheap in Macy's basement), didn't breathe, and most of them still don't.

Speaking of shoes, one nice thing Greyhound-at-the-Worlds Fair, Inc. (that was their official name) did for us was issue us Hush Puppies suede shoes. They were very comfortable. Do they still make them?

LL, do you have any pics of your wild WF days. The thing i remember most about the bus was that milage counter fixed to one of the rear Wheels.....Johnny

http://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en-US/Static/Technology.mvc.aspx

LL, do you have any pics of your wild WF days. The thing i remember most about the bus was that milage counter fixed to one of the rear Wheels.....Johnny

How come you remember that, Johnny? And yeah now that you mention it, it did.

I was into photography when I was age 13 or so, and later on i started taking pictures again, but unfortunately during the Fair years I never thought of it. I only have one single photo of me at the WF, and it is slightly out of focus, me driving the Tour A GAR in '64. I've posted it here. There's also that photo of me on my little Honda motorcycle that I just posted, also '64, probably on my way to work the 3 to midnight shift at the Fair. I remember some friend of mine taking my photo in 65' as I leaned out of the bus window, like Ralph Cramden. It might still be out there someplace on the planet, but I never got a copy of it.

Yep, Plumber, I looked them up already. They're still making them. I got one pair for each season. They were very cool and comfortable, but they wore out fast.

The DuPONT Pavilion's complete show is now available in audio (MP3 format) via the link below. Read the first two posts before going to Bill Cotter's link to his site.

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?showtopic=9987