cinerama3

RIP Soupy Sales

Don`t remember if Soupy went to the fair but during those years he was at his peak.I remember he was very big with college students in the mid to late 60`s.My friends and I would sometimes cut our last class so we could watch his show.My sense of humor is very similar to his.He will be sorely missed

Soupy Sales did perform at the Fair, I did not see him. I am a huge fan of Soupy Sales; he is a large part of who I am.

One summer Virginia LeRoy, the woman who worked the wardrobe department at the Pepsi Pavilion, made her son Steve a pair of White Fang gloves. Well, we didn’t see Steve at all that summer; however, White Fang never left us.

Virginia, Steve, Frank Nastasi (White Fang) and now Soupy are gone, they are all missed.

Hobart, Reba, Black Tooth, Pookie, Philo Kvetch and Onions Oregano will never be forgotten.

“Show me a cow dressed in rags and I will show you a bum steer”.

post-4-125633558844_thumb.jpg

Soupy was a big part of my childhood also. I got to meet him once in the early 90's when he was a guest on Mark Simones radio show on WNEW-AM, a great friendly guy. So sad hes gone but he leaves a legacy of laughter.

Besides the show at the Singer Bowl in 1965 it looks like Soupy was also at the Fair in 1964. This slide was processed in June 1964.

soupy-sales-1.jpg

Which, of any, of these men is Soupy? My bet would be on the guy in the red sweater, based on the camera angle.

soupy-sales-2.jpg

A member of the Soupy Sales Society was there to honor him. I assume there was more than one member.

soupy-sales-3.jpg

This was top-of-the line black-and-white gear for the time, RCA TK-32 cameras with large high-resolution pickup tubes; plus the symbol on the truck of a tape reel indicates this was a complete videotape studio in a truck.

http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/rca/tk12-32/tk-12datasht.pdf

Soupy Sales was second only to Jean Shepherd as media entertainment during my months in New York in '64 and '65. He was a funny, yet gentle comedian. I especially enjoyed his conversations with Black Tooth and White Fang, and the inevitable cream pie in his face.