AlTex1964

Hoisting and lowering of the flags - Morning and evening

By the way, if you see a picture that shows one of the General Foods arches, and you can get a high resolution image of that picture, SOMETIMES (but not always) the message board on the arch displays the specific day.

This is a pretty good clue that all the slides in that 'set' might also be that same day, although a visit to the Fair sometimes spanned several days, with the film being changed in the camera whenever it ran out. A set can span a period of time for that reason.

Al, several years ago PTU member Hoodlock ran a series of posts here called something like "This Week at the Fair", which were summaries from NYT microfiche.

Might search those for your week; might get lucky.

MYSTERY SOLVED - but only partly.

I found the Hoodlock post referred to by Mike Kraus.

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?showtopic=7052&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

"A Week at the Fair, June 2-8, 1964

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

June 2, 1964 A New York Times reporter......"

"June 7, 1964 strong winds cracked dozen of flagpoles throughout the Fair".

So, the problem was not with the flags, but with the flagpoles. The Fair management would not have wanted to risk incurring lawsuits from Fair-goers injured by falling flagpoles in high winds. So, they must have suspended the flying of flags from the 'at-risk' flagpoles. However, did they allow the flags to be hoisted on days when no winds were forecast?

Randy, in your photos processed in June 1964, that showed flags on the flagpoles, were the flags hanging limp?

This also begs the next question. Did The Fair management purchase a new set of flagpoles, of metal perhaps, or did they continue to avoid flying flags on windy days - possibly through to the end of The Fair in 1965?

In the photographs, do the flagpoles appear to be different at some later stage after June 1964?

This also begs another question. Did the management know that their original flagpoles might not cope in high winds and does that therefore explain why, in May 1964, the flags were not flown - presumably on windy days? [Were the cable cars used on windy days?] But if the flagpoles were not trusted in May 1964, then why were they used to fly the flags on June 7th, 1964 - again, presumably, on a windy day. Perhaps high winds occurred, unexpectedly, on June 7th, 1964, without being forecast by the weather bureau. Does anyone have the weather reports for 1964-65 for this area?

If I was managing The Fair, after June 7th 1964, I would have ordered the latest, space-age, super-strength, metal flagpoles, to safeguard the public, to avoid the risk of lawsuits and to bolster the image of The Fair as the beacon of tomorrow, and of course, to have that wonderful, glorious display of colorful flags flapping in the wind.

I wonder what actually happened?

Boy, that's a great question! Maybe too windy? Hurricane coming? Very curious.

Hat-tip to you, Doug.

It looks like you had the right idea, way back on day five of this invesigation.

Randy, in your photos processed in June 1964, that showed flags on the flagpoles, were the flags hanging limp?

In the photographs, do the flagpoles appear to be different at some later stage after June 1964?

Does anyone have the weather reports for 1964-65 for this area?

Yes, when I was looking last night at June flag pictures, some were blowing out breezily but in all June photos where there were flags , there were some that were quite still (limp) and I thought it was peculiar.

Didn't notice any difference in flagpoles, but I wasn't looking that close.

It seems the summer of 1964 was indeed windy, because we've heard many reports of people getting covered in water when walking near the fountains.

In fact we have heard that they started turning OFF the Astral Fountain on windy days. we have pictures of it turned off.

Now, I know the question you're going to ask next. Are the pictures with the Astral Fountain turned off in the same sets as the flagless flagpoles? LOL

I would think there must have been a way to strengthen the poles without replacing them all. Maybe at night they poured concrete down the middle of the tube from the top? :)

"June 7, 1964 strong winds cracked dozen of flagpoles throughout the Fair".

I guess it then makes sense that the only June pictures WITH flags with a specific date on them that I saw was....(drumroll gentlemen)..... June 6th. (aka D-Day).

Unfortunately, if this is the correct answer it then means that the absence of flags cannot be used to nail down a specific date that your family was there. Sometimes mysteries get solved, but not with the answer we want. :)

Unfortunately, if this is the correct answer it then means that the absence of flags cannot be used to nail down a specific date that your family was there. Sometimes mysteries get solved, but not with the answer we want. :)

I haven't given up hope on that just yet. What if the flags were hoisted on Saturday, June 20th, 1964, because there was no forecast of wind? Then, in response to a forecast, say in Saturday evening's newspaper, of high winds, the flags were lowered on Saturday night or Sunday morning. Then, in response to a forecast, on Sunday evening, of calm weather, the flags were hoisted again Monday morning.

I could yet get my answer in the weather forecasts - as long as I can establish that the Fair management were 'hoisting and lowering the flags' based on weather forecasts or possibly even based on real-time weather observations by some delegated member of staff at The Fair. In the latter case, I would need to read retrospective weather reports, as well.

I know the weather was windy on the day I visited The Fair, because the flags can be seen flapping in the wind in the photograph (see above) that I took at the exit at 5:07 pm. Even the wind direction (from the north-east) can be deduced from the direction of the flags. So, do these factors tie in, exclusively, with the weather reports for one day only from June 20th to June 22nd? What if the weather report stated, following yesterday's, total calm, we are expecting winds from the north-east to commence, increasing steadily as today progresses, with some strong gusts likely?

Do you know of any sources for weather information for June 1964?

Yes, when I was looking last night at June flag pictures, some were blowing out breezily but in all June photos where there were flags , there were some that were quite still (limp) and I thought it was peculiar.

It seems the summer of 1964 was indeed windy, because we've heard many reports of people getting covered in water when walking near the fountains.

In fact we have heard that they started turning OFF the Astral Fountain on windy days. we have pictures of it turned off.

Now, I know the question you're going to ask next. Are the pictures with the Astral Fountain turned off in the same sets as the flagless flagpoles? LOL

Are the pictures with the Astral Fountain turned off in the same sets as the flagless flagpoles? LOL

Or, alternatively, can you see any evidence of dark wet patches, on pedestrian areas, caused by spray-drift from the adjoining fountains, that were left to operate in the wind, in the same sets as the flagless flagpoles?

As I understand it, ALL of the undated pictures, that you have, that were processed in June 1964, that have flags flapping in the wind, as opposed to hanging limp, COULD have been taken on or before June 7th. So there is no evidence that flags were hoisted in the wind after June 7th.

So, how about this for the next working assumption? No flags were hoisted on the National or US States' flagpoles, after June 7th, 1964, UNLESS there was no wind - UNTIL such time as the flagpoles were strengthened or replaced.

By the way, I believe that the cracked flagpoles must have been replaced by about July or August 1964, because either the insurance would have paid for this, or the original supplier would have provided replacements, in order to avoid being sued for damages.

Observation: in sets of slides from June 64 where there are views of both the Court flags and the Meadow Lake Bridge flags, or the Court flags and the two U.N. Bridge flags, they are either raised or not present consistently.

I took a look at 47 sets of June 64 slides, and found no exceptions to this observation.

So it appears if there was a reason not to raise the flags in the Court areas, they didn't raise them on the bridges either.

This lends weight to the wind theory, if the flagpoles on the bridges were of the same construction type as the Court flagpoles and subject to cracking. I could just see the lawsuit if a cracked pole fell on a car passing under one of those bridges on the parkway.

Observation: in sets of slides from June 64 where there are views of both the Court flags and the Meadow Lake Bridge flags, or the Court flags and the two U.N. Bridge flags, they are either raised or not present consistently.

I took a look at 47 sets of June 64 slides, and found no exceptions to this observation.

So it appears if there was a reason not to raise the flags in the Court areas, they didn't raise them on the bridges either.

This lends weight to the wind theory, if the flagpoles on the bridges were of the same construction type as the Court flagpoles and subject to cracking. I could just see the lawsuit if a cracked pole fell on a car passing under one of those bridges on the parkway.

Wow - Great observations, Randy

The Fair management were obviously taking this matter very seriously - and rightly so.

I can't wait to find out if they replaced all of the flagpoles, and if so, when and how they did so.

These issues must have been discussed at the highest levels in the boardroom. Are the records of these meetings still available? I wonder if there was a cover-up going on. Someone messed up pretty badly on this one. Flags are meant for flying in the wind - not being tucked away to avoid lawsuits.

I reckon a useful line of enquiry would be to check the weather forecasts and reports and observations that were made for dates corresponding to the dates of photographs, taken on known dates, that have the flags missing. We would then find out the criteria that they were using, when deciding whether or not to hoist the flags on any particular day. Then, if they replaced the flagpoles, what new criteria did they use afterwards? Also, what discussions did they have with their insurers about all of this? The Fair management must have also been getting official daily reports from the government and/or military weather stations.

By the way, did you check for 'fountain spray-drift' and for 'flapping flags' at individual pavilions, such as by the ramp above Gotham Plaza, for those days when The Fair Corporation flags were absent (as with my two photographs). There should be the same correlation in all of the other sets of photographs.

Now I want to know why I was denied the glorious, colorful, spectacle of hundreds of National and US State flags flapping in the wind on my day at The New York World's Fair. Who was to blame?

By the way, once the criteria for hoisting and lowering of the flags is known and the weather records are known, then this could provide a useful dating tool for many of the unknown dates of photographs. It should also help to link certain photographs and sets of photographs.

One other very prominent location of flags that could be seen flapping in the wind, on days that the Court of Nation's flags, US States' flags and bridges flags are missing, is on the roof of The New York City Pavilion.

Also, any photographs showing details of the fountains around The Unisphere, show clear evidence of the displacement, by the wind, of the plumes of water being ejected from the nozzles. The stronger the wind, the wider the arc of displacement. Also, the white disc or ellipse shape of the white disturbed water, from each individual plume of water, as it crashes down onto the pool around the base of The Unisphere, can be seen, in windy conditions, to be displaced from the position of the nozzle that ejected each individual plume of water. The stronger the wind the greater the distance between the nozzle and the corresponding disc or ellipse of white water on the pool, from each individual plume of water.

These observations can even be used to deduce the direction of the wind, as well as the strength of the wind. I believe that this evidence of the presence of wind will be found on EACH day, after June 7th, 1964, when the flags were missing from The Fair Corporation's flagpoles - UNTIL such time as the defective flagpoles had been replaced or strengthened.

By the way, I vaguely remember reading, in a post on this website, that the flagpoles were altered in some way, at some point in time.

Also, Randy, as you are looking through your 52 sets of pictures of June 1964, could you please keep a look-out for my family group? Some of your sets of pictures, taken on days with flagless flagpoles, must have been taken on the day that we visited The Fair. One possible place that we might be seen is in the very long line outside The Vatican Pavilion, as we waited to see 'The Pieta'. We also spent a while outside at The Sinclair Dinoland and by The US Royal Tire. We were also outside the back of The Wisconsin State Pavilion, to see 'The World's Biggest Cheese'. As far as interiors are concerned, the pavilions, that we went into, were The National Pavilions (nearly all of these) and The Ford and GM and possibly The Chrysler Pavilions. We walked between all of these places and also from the main entrance at Gotham Plaza to The Unisphere and then back again at the end of the day.

It would mean a great deal to me if you could find us, in one or more of your pictures - even if just specks in the distance.

I believe that this evidence of the presence of wind will be found on EACH day, after June 7th, 1964, when the flags were missing from The Fair Corporation's flagpoles - UNTIL such time as the defective flagpoles had been replaced or strengthened.

I don't think that would necessarly be true...

If they stopped flying the flags because cracks were discovered in some of the flagpoles after the high wind incident of June 7, I think they would have simply stopped flying the flags altogether (regardless of the daily weather forecasts) until the problems with the poles had been resolved and it was deemed safe to fly the flags on them again. So there could have been several "calm days" (between the 7th and whatever date they ultimately hoisted them up again) where the flags were not flown.

However, having said that, slide 11 of Set 62 shows the Court of the States (without any flags), but the two big US flags at the United States pavilion are flapping pretty good in the background (with winds out of the Southwest). For the record, slide 13 from Set 62 is of the Astral Fountain, and it is definitely on...

I'll try to keep an eye out for you and your family in the backgrounds of other photos as well. If you have any additional images of your visit, please post them here - they might help us in finding you!

It would mean a great deal to me if you could find us, in one or more of your pictures - even if just specks in the distance.

Could this be the AlTex1964 family?

post-387-126772459828_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter – worldsfairphotos.com – CD 22, Set 119, Image 004 (June, 1964)

There appears to be a man with a white shirt and dark pants (circled in green) and then a woman with two girls in dresses, followed by a third child dressed in dark clothes (red circle). There are no flags on the poles in the Court of Nations, so this would be in the right timeframe...

If we find his family in the background of one of the countless photos, than I believe that we will have become one of the greatest sleuthing agencies on the Internet! Finding a specific family in a specific place, among countless millions of people spanning two years, and remembering details aged by the progression of time........it's comparable to looking at the Earth from the moon in a telescope, and identifying the speaker at a rally.......truly an astounding feat!!

Did you see the news item about the Chile earthquake being so big it altered the tilt of the earth a little, and days are slightly faster now?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/03/100302-chile-earthquake-earth-axis-shortened-day/

Don't forget that the Alaska Good Friday earthquake in the spring of '64 was even BIGGER than the Chile earthquake.

Which means that any assumptions about the length of shadows in 1964 pictures being able to tell us what time of day it was, must take into account the effects of the Alaska earthquake.

[i'm practicing for April 1st coming up soon. :) ]

Here's the REAL story

"Mr. Moses, have I got a deal for you.

Flagpoles. Every World's Fair has to have 'em. LOTS of 'em. And it just so happens that I am prepared to make you the deal of a lifetime. I'll bet you didn't know that what you really need are pre-stressed flagpoles. Just like concrete and steel, it adds strength. And do I have pre-stressed flagpoles you ask? Boy do I. And I mean to tell you they have been pre-stressed. I got a great deal on a large quantity of pre-stressed flagpoles from our friends in Anchorage. And they are available for immediately delivery. If you like I can bring in a crew from Hooterville to install 'em. You're not going to see another deal like this in YOUR lifetime Mr. Moses. Whadda ya say, do we have a deal?"

[And that's why the flagpoles started cracking in the wind. They already had hairline fractures from the Alaska Earthquake. Now you know the true story. :rolleyes: ]

index.3.jpg

Could this be the AlTex1964 family?

post-387-126772459828_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter – worldsfairphotos.com – CD 22, Set 119, Image 004 (June, 1964)

There appears to be a man with a white shirt and dark pants (circled in green) and then a woman with two girls in dresses, followed by a third child dressed in dark clothes (red circle). There are no flags on the poles in the Court of Nations, so this would be in the right timeframe...

This is such a thrill. These images are so close - it could actually be us. My Mother, if that is her, is the right height and build and she had brown hair of the same length as in the picture. The problem is the third 'child' in dark clothes - but what is that dark area? I'm not sure that that is a third child. My clothes were light colored, just like those of the boy, that can be seen just up slightly and across slightly to the right, from 'my Mother and two sisters'. Believe it or not, I still have the shirt that I wore that day - it was an off-white color, with a pale green pattern on it. I also remember wearing brown Hush-Puppies at that time. The boy in the picture looks just like me.

Was this the moment that I set off to walk around The Unisphere? I remember walking round on my own. No one else wanted to do so, but I just had to view the globe from every angle. When I got back, my Mother said something like "Do you feel better for that"? I replied, "Yes" and then proceeded to tell her about how weird the other side of the globe looked with no continents on the surface and being able to see the reverse inner sides of all of the continents on the opposite side of the globe to The Pacific Ocean.

OMG. The dark area in the picture isn't a third child - it's a dark coat or jacket, being carried by 'my Mother' - in her LEFT HAND - she was left-handed! I also remember her having a pale blue tunic top drawn in at the waist with a belt. Also, Mom often used to wear long full skirts. Over the last 18 months, I had tried to remember what she was wearing at The Fair - and this type of outfit is what I had imagined.

I am now even more convinced that this could actually be us. Now, I am desperate for confirmation. Could lightning strike twice in the same place?

Yada Yada, I can't thank you enough for this. I've dreamt of this moment so many times. It's like a moment from the great TV drama, by Stephen Poliakoff, called "Shooting The Past". Everyone on this Forum should try to see it. http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/film/dvd/Shooting-the-Past/

That particular slide passed through my scanner a few years ago before passing it on to Bill.

While we both have identical hardware, we use different software, so the results sometimes come out a little different.

For what's it's worth- this is what my scanner pulled off the four decades old emulsion. :)

26a_Court_of_the_Presidents.jpg

This was one of a set of 15 World's fair views, numbered 22 through 36. This one was #26.

The numbers lower than 22 were other views before the photographer and his family got to the World's Fair.

Furthermore, this set was one of four boxes in the same auction lot purchased on eBay.

They are all dated June 64, and the beginning (low number) of one box seems to corollate to the end of the previous box. So I presume they were taken the same day. The third set gets into night views so presumably that's the end of the day, and they'd shot up 3 rolls of film by then.. But the fourth set has four daytime views, so maybe they came back the next day for a short time.

This particular set seems to be the *first* roll of film of the four sets. There are 4 consecutive pictures from the top of the NYS tower and this is the second of those four. The others were swiveled around to views in opposite directions, so it's unlikely your family could have sprinted fast enough to get in those photos as well.

The extremely tall person who is partly blocking our view....

....might be one these ladies who represented the nearby Caribbean Pavilion.

Caribbean_Pavilion_Presents_the_Orlando_Giants.jpg

09_Caribbean_woman.jpg

05_Caribbean_Pavilion_character.jpg

You are not going to believe this.

Several things crossed my mind while I was examining the picture, above, and trying to work out if it was of my family. Since then, these things have been going round and round in my mind. Gradually, all of the different strands came together.

Look at the dark coat or jacket. What is unusual about it? It is not a casual jacket brought along, just in case of cool weather, and then draped over one's arm in the meantime. It is clearly being kept flat. The shape is that of a flat jacket being supported by a coat-hanger.

Look at the position of it. The straight lower edge of the jacket being suspended just above the ground. The hook at the top of the coat-hanger is too high to be supported by hand, unless the forearm was lifted quite high. It would have been even worse than that, because the mid-point of the jacket is too far back for it to be held by hand, without causing severe discomfort. And even if it had been, this position could not have been sustained for very long. In any case, this doesn't appear to be happening in this picture. There is no sign of the left arm being bent. The jacket, is supported by the coat-hanger, which is hooked over the red waist belt - slightly behind the mid-line - leaving my Mom's left hand free, after she had hooked the coat-hanger over her belt.

Now look at the color of the jacket. It is not just any old dark jacket. The color is Air Force Blue. My Dad, was in The U.S. Air Force. We were all in transit from our former home and Air Force Base in Texas. The previous night, we had stayed in Hotel Claridge, in Times Square, Manhattan. When we left The New York World's Fair, we went forthwith to McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey.

Now, vaguely remembered snippets of conversation are coming back to the fore. "Come on it's time to go. I don't want to be too late checking in". I remember this, because I desperately wanted to stay longer at The Fair. There was so much more to see and do.

The jacket wasn't just a U.S. Air Force jacket, it was Dad's whole U.S. Air Force uniform. He must have had it dry-cleaned and pressed in Manhattan and wanted it to remain sharply pressed when he presented himself at McGuire A.F.B..

I can vaguely, vaguely, almost remember Mom, complaining ever so slightly about having to look after this uniform, during our trip to The Fair. Presumably, Dad had it draped over his shoulder for much of the time. I can vaguely, vaguely, almost remember Dad, saying that he couldn't check-in in a wrinkled uniform.

Mom took all of these things in her stride. Mom was always doing everything she could for us and she loved to do so. Now, we can all see her again, with her beloved family, on one of the best days of our lives at The New York World's Fair.

Yada Yada, I can't thank you enough for this. I've dreamt of this moment so many times.

You're welcome Al,

I truly hope the people in this photo were your family, but even if they were not, it sounds like the image has at least allowed you relive some very fond memories!

Best Regards,

Kevin

PS - Special thanks to Bill Cotter for making the image available in the first place!

I truly hope the people in this photo were your family, but even if they were not, it sounds like the image has at least allowed you to relive some very fond memories!

PS - Special thanks to Bill Cotter for making the image available in the first place!

It would be impossible to be 100% certain that the fuzzy, grainy, selective enlargement is of my family, but every known, and half-remembered fact ties in perfectly. I've been looking for my family in every picture of The New York World's Fair, that I have looked at over the last 18 months. Not one single picture had even the slightest resemblance to my family. Then you post that picture , which is a possible perfect match.

Obviously, I'm still desperate to find another picture to clear up any lingering uncertainties, but you are right, the picture that you posted, helped me to relive some very fond memories - more vividly than ever before.

Once again, absolutely, special thanks go to Bill Cotter.

I'll try to keep an eye out for you and your family in the backgrounds of other photos as well. If you have any additional images of your visit, please post them here - they might help us in finding you!

So, here is the challenge.

Can the P.T.U. super-sleuths find my family in the background, or even the foreground, of any of your photographs or films, with the help of these extra photographs of my family, taken on Saturday, June 20th; Sunday, June 21st; or Monday, June 22nd, 1964?

On this day, the Fair Corporation flags were not hoisted on the flagpoles of The Court of Nations, The Court of The U.S. States, or over the three bridges. This may also have been the case on other days after June 7th, 1964, until some day in July 1964, when the flags began to be flown again in windy conditions.

The photographs of my family are numbered 1-9, in the correct sequence, so it is possible to follow our progress through The Fair grounds. The third photograph is missing, because the negative was never printed, because it was almost completely clear. However, looking at it with a magnifying glass revealed the faint image of 'The Pieta', in The Vatican Pavilion, that I took myself after borrowing Mom's camera.

This is the complete set of photographs taken on our day at The Fair - just nine, grainy, black and white photographs.

Please help me to find an image of the person missing from these photographs - my Mom.

1. - Arrival at The Unisphere - showing myself and both of my sisters.

2. - Standing at the gate of The Republic of China (Taiwan) Pavilion - showing myself, Dad and both of my Sisters.

3. - Not printed - 'The Pieta' at The Vatican Pavilion.

4. - The Tower of London - showing my Sister 1, standing next to a Tower Guard, known as a 'Beef-Eater'.

5. - The Sinclair 'Dinoland' - showing myself and Sister 2.

6. - The Sinclair 'Dinoland' - showing myself and Sister 2.

7. - The U.S. Royal Tire big-wheel - showing myself, Dad and both of my Sisters.

8. - The 'Court of Nations', devoid of National flags - showing myself, Dad and both of my Sisters.

9. - The last look at The Fair, taken by me from the ramp overlooking Gotham Plaza, near the main exit.

The only other identification information that I am absolutely sure of is that my shirt color was off-white, with a light green pattern on it and my shoes were brown Hush-Puppies.

Finally, my Mom, was medium height and medium build, had collar-length brown hair and was probably wearing a pale blue tunic, with belt (possibly red) and possibly a longish pale-blue full skirt.

There is a possibility, that my Mom or my Dad, was carrying a U.S. Air Force uniform, hanging from a coat-hanger.

We had arrived by train from 42nd Street, Manhattan, in the morning, and after entering the Fair at the main entrance, we walked from Gotham Plaza towards The Unisphere. We spent nearly all of our time in the International and Transportation areas, but we did walk through the Federal, U.S. States area. One possible place that we might be seen is in the very long line outside The Vatican Pavilion, as we waited to see 'The Pieta'. We also spent a while outside at The Sinclair Dinoland and by The U.S. Royal Tires' big wheel. We were also outside the back of The Wisconsin State Pavilion, to see 'The World's Biggest Cheese'. As far as interiors are concerned, the pavilions, that we went into, were The National Pavilions (nearly all of these) and The Ford and GM and possibly The Chrysler Pavilions. We walked between all of these places and also from the main entrance at Gotham Plaza to The Unisphere and then back again at the end of the day.

The holy grail for me would be an image of my family in the background of someone else's photograph or film. My Mom died 19 months ago, and we don't have a single photograph of her in New York. This trip was a major event in our lives. To see a picture of her, at this pivotal event, would help to bring her back in a way. That would be absolutely wonderful.

Remember Joey Chernov's words - Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:07 PM -

"If we find his family in the background of one of the countless photos, then I believe that we will have become one of the greatest sleuthing agencies on the Internet"!

post-4062-126785504821_thumb.jpg

post-4062-126785525059_thumb.jpg

post-4062-126785536686_thumb.jpg

post-4062-126785544226_thumb.jpg

post-4062-126785550408_thumb.jpg

post-4062-126785564775_thumb.jpg

post-4062-126785571083_thumb.jpg

post-4062-126785580596_thumb.jpg

Please help me to find an image of the person missing from these photographs - my Mom.

It would be a great help, even if you do not find my family amongst the photographs and films that you have now, if you would print-out this post (#48) and keep it, conveniently, by your computer screen for future reference. Presumably, you are obtaining new images on a regular basis.

Thank-you, so much.

I went through all of my June 1964 photos (at least the ones dated as such) and found more without the flags flying, but unfortunately not your family. I'll keep an eye out for them though!

I went through all of my June 1964 photos (at least the ones dated as such) and found more without the flags flying, but unfortunately not your family. I'll keep an eye out for them though!

Thanks, Bill

I really appreciate this. This is a really great community.