Bill Cotter

Another change between seasons

Here's a view of the GE waiting area in 1964, taken from the Better Living Center:

ge-waiting-64-1.jpg

and the same area in 1965:

ge-waiting-65-1.jpg

Everyone knows about the coverd area added for 1965, but there's another addition to the area. Look above the Family Phone Booth.

Empty space in 1964:

ge-waiting-64-2.jpg

becomes a souvenir stand in 1965:

ge-waiting-65-2.jpg

How about the small white building in the immediate foreground of the 1965 picture? That doesn't appear in the 64 photo. Also the flowers along the left side of the 65 picture are missing in the 64 picture. And the chairs that were set up in the area shown just above the 64 enlargement are missing in the one from 65. What was that area where the chairs were?

Not to mention the red and white flowers by the Arch, the one-man stand, or the garbage pail, someone move it to the other side of the tree for 65’.

How about the small white building in the immediate foreground of the 1965 picture? That doesn't appear in the 64 photo. Also the flowers along the left side of the 65 picture are missing in the 64 picture. And the chairs that were set up in the area shown just above the 64 enlargement are missing in the one from 65. What was that area where the chairs were?

You're right, I missed that other added building. That's the trouble with staying up too late to do these things! Here's a look at that spot in 1964:

photo-booth-64.jpg

and in 1965:

photo-booth-65.jpg

It evidently sold film, among other things.

I'm not sure about the flowers. They were located in the middle of the Court of the Sun, leading to the Solar Fountain. I do have shots of flowers like these in the nearby Court of the Moon in 1964, so I'm not sure when these were added. Eagle Eye Treadway, any input?

The chairs were set up on the Industrial Common, a large paved area, which had the Tiparillo Bandstand at the opposite end.

Not to mention the red and white flowers by the Arch, the one-man stand, or the garbage pail, someone move it to the other side of the tree for 65'.

The one-man stand and garbage can locations are way beyond my ability to track! This is all like one of those "Spot the differences" games, though, isn't it? Lots of stuff if you really take the time.

I always enjoy these comparison photos. Bill your inventory of photos must be huge!

I'm glad you are enjoying them, Al. I have about 14,000 images scanned to date and a huge pile waiting. I'm working through them, but also going back through the ones I had scanned at 2900 DPI on my original Nikon scanner and redoing them now at 4000 DPI. It's been a quiet week at home with my son so I thought I would catch up on some of the rescanning, and in checking the results I saw some of these differences between shots.

Didn't the GF Arches get electronic-ized in '65 ?

They have the electronic display boards in my 1964 shots. Were they updated somehow for 1965, perhaps?

I'm not sure about the flowers. They were located in the middle of the Court of the Sun, leading to the Solar Fountain. I do have shots of flowers like these in the nearby Court of the Moon in 1964, so I'm not sure when these were added.

I thought that, like the '39 fair, the Flowers were changed every few weeks according to the current weeks theme, or seasons?

My views of the Court of the Sun flowers do show that they changed them throughout the 1965 season. I'm just now sure when they were added to the grass median seen in some 1964 shots.

There seems to be more gondolas on the skyride in the top pic.

Did they decrease the amount of gondolas in the second season, or is it a lucky photo catching the gondolas hunting in packs?

it also looks liked they paved in where grass used to be around the building next to the Electricity building. What is that building anyway?

They varied the number of gondolas based on overall attendance at the Fair. Some days both sets f cables were in use, some days only one.

The paved area was there for both seasons. That's the Industrial Common.

The Tower of Light had displays about the discovery and harnessing of electricity. More about it here on my site: http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/tower-of-light.htm

Anyone know what wording was added then covered over just below the eagle?

post-387-125596807135_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter – worldsfairphotos.com

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I couldn't find an image with any wording under the eagle either. I wonder if the photo you have with the white paint slopped on the sign was simply a case of covering over graffiti?

Kevin

Thanks, that was great!

I was wondering if perhaps the bit about the commissioner had been placed there first, was thought to be too prominent, then downgraded to the corner (still a pretty impressive spot though). Perhaps Randy will come through with the shot that tells all.

Somehow I never knew Chrysler was mostly white in '64 - I will always picture it in the gaudy '65 colors.

Thanks for that page, Bill.

Thanks, that was great!

I was wondering if perhaps the bit about the commissioner had been placed there first, was thought to be too prominent, then downgraded to the corner (still a pretty impressive spot though). Perhaps Randy will come through with the shot that tells all.

Not this time I'm afraid.

It's always interesting to see side by side comparisons.

...and to note the optimism in them. I often think about how income was lower than expected, and some things closing/never being in year 2. Yet, here and there the show didn't just go on-it was improved. Improved, at least, by someone's standard. Bigger, and hopefully better, the fair moved forward hoping to grasp the promise that was it's due.

Anyone know what wording was added then covered over just below the eagle?

I finally found it !!!!

Somebody just posted a 1964 8mm home movie to youtube two weeks ago. And there it is, at 1:06 into the seven minutes of footage.

Maybe you can screen capture it and study it to figure out what it says.

I was sure it was all from 1964 until I saw the awnings over the waiting line at General Motors. I had thought those weren't added until 1965. But maybe they were added late in the 1964 season.